Monster Hunter World: Odogaron armour build

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still to apply a few more coats of red and white. The black of the foam is still peeks through. All in all, things are look good.
Two things I did learn though.
1. Painting by hand is time consuming ( even though that's how I have painted all my builds. I'm just complaining at this point) I really need to invest in a airbrush.
2. If a prop is a collection of parts like the spikes on the arm guard... Paint them first before assembling it into one unit. Those bloody things are so annoying to paint now.
20190313_225026.jpg
20190313_225005.jpg

Alrighty... Some more progress.
20190319_130946.jpg
20190319_141242.jpg

Made the rope belt... Twice. Virst one I measured 8 foot lengths. After braiding the rope shra k down to about 6 and a half ft. So I re did it with 11 foot lengths. Now it was long enough but game vs. reality strikes. When tied the rope is too thick and the knot is huge and ugly.
I also painted the belt and pauldron /spalders.
20190319_111017.jpg
20190319_114915.jpg
20190319_111002.jpg
20190319_170036.jpg

I think is turning out pretty good. What do you think?
20190319_172331.jpg

20190319_172304.jpg
20190319_172246.jpg

I think what you could do for the belt to avoid such a huge knot:
☆Take your braided rope, wrap it around.
☆Braid more rope, and fashion it to look like a knot, but obviously smaller.
☆One one side of the rope, attach the braided knot and a hook. On the other, a small loop for the hook to fit in.

When the hook is through the loops the belt will be fastened together AND look as though it was tied together, but it won't be as big a knot.

Ta-Da!

P.S. That there is some slick looking armor, man! That looks legit!

Looks great man it’s really coming together! You could just do the second half of your knot and synch it against your body and not the knot itself. For a more technical explanation: just do the loop de loops part. If that makes any sense? It’ll cut the knot size down a bi and suck the knot in tighter.

Not much of an update. I had started painting the mask. As mentioned before, I am not happy with it. It's been nagging me since I put it aside. So.... I ditched the ugly Baboon face and started a new, hopefully less Baboon looking mask.
20190326_181809.jpg

It's been shortened and narrowed by a half inch in length and width. The mouth has been straightened somewhat. I left the ears the same. Still working out the forehead.
20190326_181905.jpg
20190326_181924.jpg

Agreed ^

But what caused you to change the design? Is it just it didnt come out how you wanted or you are trying a different approach? The detail at the front of the nose and towards where the eyes will be is more, and the mouth has a different contour, almost like a cat...

Now that I have seen some references on your build, I think it looks even better! The mask looks like it is very recessed, and more angled, almost like the snout comes out more than two inches, and the rop of the head seams more flat, vertical, and pushes out, instead of it leaning back

43385816_354021438502119_7067798883870732103_n.jpg

Agreed ^

But what caused you to change the design? Is it just it didnt come out how you wanted or you are trying a different approach? The detail at the front of the nose and towards where the eyes will be is more, and the mouth has a different contour, almost like a cat...

Now that I have seen some references on your build, I think it looks even better! The mask looks like it is very recessed, and more angled, almost like the snout comes out more than two inches, and the rop of the head seams more flat, vertical, and pushes out, instead of it leaning back

View attachment 267981
The whole thing just came out wrong. The angles were all wrong and the expression of the mask wasn't right.
If I had a cast of my own head I would be able to pattern thing out better. Even now I am still struggling to mock up the forehead.
Even better would be to have someone extract the game assets and create a set of templates so I could just load it up on Armorsmith, scale, print, cut and assemble. That would be just too easy though....

Did not know if the non halo, this is dope, woulda posted all my builds here! I'm also working on Monster Hunter Armor, gotta say, your is looks fanfudgintastic!

Did not know if the non halo, this is dope, woulda posted all my builds here! I'm also working on Monster Hunter Armor, gotta say, your is looks fanfudgintastic!
Thanks man! Oooooh, what armour are you building??? Start a thread!

Sooooo... I ran out of FlexiPaint so no more indoor sealing and priming of armour parts. Weather is still too cold and crappy to be doing work outside. For now painting has been put on hold.
20190328_104217.jpg

Slinger has been reassembled. All it needs is the strapping to attach to my left arm.
In the mean time I started on my weapon of choice from the game. The Devine Slasher! Thanks again to PerniciousDuke for scaling it to size.
20190328_105657.jpg
20190328_182132.jpg

The weapon will be 7ft. in length. The handle will be PVC pipe wrapping in foam. The blade itself will be 3 layers of 10mm foam laminated together. I will have a dowel through the middle of the blade as structural support.
Haven't decided if the long sword will be one piece or if the handle + guard can be removed for slightly easier transport.

A 7ft sword, I would make the handle detachable, since it is pvc it would be easy to take it off and on, just make sure the foam is on there good, and my Monster Hunter World is the fudgin' Glavenus Set from specifically Monster Hunter X Only got the helmet done right now, I will start that thread today or tomorrow or whenever I get back to it!

PaiganBoi I'm not sure that you'd understand what I'm talking about, but if you think of this mask in the vehicle, not horizontal, it will help. Like, think of making it taller, not longer. Maybe that'll help?

Would anyone know of a technique to put a curve in a straight dowel? The blade of the Devine Slasher has a slight curve in it. For the dowel to run through it I need to curve the dowel.
20190330_141124.jpg

On another note, I may have to build this as one whole piece instead of making it detachable. I don't have the right sized pve pipes or dowels to slot together. I don't have the budget either to start buying more materials either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back