Moonwildflower's Mk Vi Armor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got part of the shin modeled. Will post pictures soon. Been a while since I've done any 3d modeling and I'm pleased with the results so far. Been spending too much time working on art for the Source to work on anything else. lol

Was doing some thinking last night after checking out some of the molded armor and the member with the actual metal armor. Sorry, can't remember his name. Has anyone tried using metal injection molding? Get the awesome detail of the plastic molds with the durability of metal...
Might be kinda expensive, but would still be amazing. Found something on Wiki about it. I am intrigued.
Wiki article on Metal Injection Molding

moonwildflower said:
Was doing some thinking last night after checking out some of the molded armor and the member with the actual metal armor. Sorry, can't remember his name. Has anyone tried using metal injection molding? Get the awesome detail of the plastic molds with the durability of metal...
Might be kinda expensive, but would still be amazing. Found something on Wiki about it. I am intrigued.
You know, that would be so goddamn awesome if you could pull it off...

That having been said, double posts everywhere. :eek: edit please. :p

Looking forward to pics of the reworked calves.

Last edited by a moderator:
moonwildflower said:

It's a good idea in theory but incredibly costly in practice. You would have to cast titanium in order to get the strength you need and the weight to a minimum. Cast aluminum will not cut it for this particular method. It's light enough but definitely not strong enough to hold up to any type of abuse. Another easy way to actually pull of something that is "metal like" would be to cast with aluminum infiltrated epoxy or aluminum infiltrated urethane. In fact the urethane stuff will polish up to look like cast aluminum and it will hold up better to impact. You used to be able to buy it from McMaster-Carr but now I can't seem to find it there.

SmoothOn also carries an aluminum filled urethane along with brass, bronze, and nickel silver powder additives to make casting plastic look like metal. I don't know about you but having a set of Bronze MKVI armor would be sick! :D

About the smoothon, thanks. That sounds interesting. I was doing some research on the MIM after I had posted it and it did seem super expensive. Seems you need to use a company or something to make what you need and most don't allow a reproduction of less than 500. "Hey, can I get 500 handplates?" lol. I'll be able to outfit the entire 405th in a few orders.

I will definitly look into the Smoothon. Seems wonderful. Might not be metal exactly, but aslong as it looks it, I'm fine.

Finally got some of the shin remodeled. It's been a long time since I've tried any 3d programs. It is just the basic shape right now and not set to my proportions as of yet. Some of the vectors are off too. But that will all be fixed in time. When I have the time. lol

Shin-Front.jpg

Shin-side-early.jpg

Got a quick update. Finally found the time to work on the calf model. Added some more details and decided to see how it would work out in Pepakura. So, I exported it as a .3ds and opened it in Pepakura. Yes, it is only half a calf and it's really small. I'm using the Mirror modification in 3dsMax and couldn't remember how to get it to stick, so I just exported it as is. The size will change in the future.

I opened it up in pep, the program merging some vertices and doing some other crazy stuff. It came up and I hit the unfold botton. And I got this amazing mess. lol. I can't wait to try and figure this out. Hope I can make it look something like some of the pep files out there.

Pep-test.jpg

Also, want to apologize for the lack of updates. Been doing alot of art lately and getting ready to go back to school. And a big thankyou to those who put up my name for member of the month!

just remember that the calves are slightly asymmetrical. When you do the mirror you'll have to bump out the outside part of the "calf muscle" just a hair. You can mirror, copy the whole part after edge joining, do the bump on both calves, and save them separately as left & right. And I just thought of a simpler way: mirror the half, edge join, bump, and then mirror the whole part so that you have two separate calves and save separately.

Good news MWF, I'm finally being let out tomorrow so you'll be free'd up artwise for a little bit. You were a lifesaver <3, thanks for working with Vex and getting stuff done. As for the legs, I gotta suggest going foam on them. You've con'd it up and know these badboys get exhausing in the leg department. Here's the stuff I'm talking about:

http://www.smooth-on.com/Rigid-and-Flexible/c10_1121/index.html?osCsid=6j586usju2d9mhmkr4oc61mo97

This stuff can easily be repainted to look like armor but offers you the ability to full on run and even sit in your armor <3. If you've ever seen Adam's armor (who hasn't) his legs are made of this very material and has been for quite some time but it is nearly impossible to tell in the photos :) . Hope that helps!

Cheers,

Kensai

BFDesigns said:
just remember that the calves are slightly asymmetrical. When you do the mirror you'll have to bump out the outside part of the "calf muscle" just a hair. You can mirror, copy the whole part after edge joining, do the bump on both calves, and save them separately as left & right. And I just thought of a simpler way: mirror the half, edge join, bump, and then mirror the whole part so that you have two separate calves and save separately.

Thanks. I'll be sure to remember that. I just haven't worked with 3d programs in a while and have forgotten how to use some of the modifiers. I used photoshop too much. lol

kensai111 said:
Good news MWF, I'm finally being let out tomorrow so you'll be free'd up artwise for a little bit. You were a lifesaver <3, thanks for working with Vex and getting stuff done. As for the legs, I gotta suggest going foam on them. You've con'd it up and know these badboys get exhausing in the leg department. Here's the stuff I'm talking about:

http://www.smooth-on.com/Rigid-and-Flexible/c10_1121/index.html?osCsid=6j586usju2d9mhmkr4oc61mo97

This stuff can easily be repainted to look like armor but offers you the ability to full on run and even sit in your armor <3. If you've ever seen Adam's armor (who hasn't) his legs are made of this very material and has been for quite some time but it is nearly impossible to tell in the photos :) . Hope that helps!

Cheers,

Kensai

Oh yeah. I've seen Adams. I do really want to try the foam for the legs, I just don't have the funds at the moment to try anything like that. I figure that I'll just get these done and maybe make them super detailed and then use them for casting later on. It all depends.

And I'm glad that you're healthy again. I tried to help Vex as much as I could. I did a piece for Odessa's fiction. She gave me the go ahead to do art for her.

Yuki-Kedamono said:
hahah you're little video on the first page made me laugh, i HAD to fave it on youtube. lol

Ithica said:
Awesome work and great armor. The vid is funny as hell.

Ithica

Glad everyone likes the video. Might have a new one up soon. Ended up learning how to do the full caramelldansen thing this weekend at the local con and my friends think it would be funny to have some spartans do it. Kataroo and I will be attempting it and posting it on youtube. Should give some good laughs for everyone. Myself included.

Hey, just was looking at your pics, if you use the "Symmetry" modifier instead of the mirror one it makes it part of the same editable poly. When you're done with all the symmetrical parts all you have to do is turn on the modifier and then convert the whole thing into a poly again and you can make whatever changes you want.

Robby said:
Hey, just was looking at your pics, if you use the "Symmetry" modifier instead of the mirror one it makes it part of the same editable poly. When you're done with all the symmetrical parts all you have to do is turn on the modifier and then convert the whole thing into a poly again and you can make whatever changes you want.

Thanks for letting me know this. I've forgotten so much about 3dsmax. I need to find my 3ds bible... Might be in the closet somewhere.

moonwildflower said:
Glad everyone likes the video. Might have a new one up soon. Ended up learning how to do the full caramelldansen thing this weekend at the local con and my friends think it would be funny to have some spartans do it. Kataroo and I will be attempting it and posting it on youtube. Should give some good laughs for everyone. Myself included.

you did it in costume? cause i have video of you dancing but not doing that dance in your armor. man i must have missed it.

btw here ya go! lol

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyMQWRsJJ_w[/media]

Yuki-Kedamono said:
you did it in costume? cause i have video of you dancing but not doing that dance in your armor. man i must have missed it.

Thanks for posting this. I was just on youtube and found it.

And yes, unfortunitly, I have learned the caramelldansen. Seems that no one has filmed themselves doing it in armor. Kat and I will take this on.

Sorry for the long period of nothing happening. Been getting ready for school and such.

I can finally say it....

I HAZ RECON!

I want to say thank you to Ithica for selecting me as member of the month. I love the helmet so much! Winning it also allowed me to get to know you and branch out in the forum.

Hopefully I'll get to keep working on my own armor while finishing school.

Recon-helmet.jpg

Recon-side.jpg

i like the color choice. it looks good. and congrats on winning.

how close is that color to you suit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back