Status
Not open for further replies.

PlanetAlexander

RMO
405th Regiment Officer
Member DIN
S018
Templates at bottom of post

Since I can't get more foam the the moment, putting my current projects on hold, I've decided to challenge myself to make something out of scraps I have laying around. I'm taking a bit of a leap with this one, making the Halo 3 Flood Infection form. It's not full scale because crikey, those things are MASSIVE! - and also because I'm using the remains of my original alfoil model of the grunt leg (with a bit of alfoil ripped off the arms).

Some shoddy WIP pictures:
DSC06432.JPG

DSC06433.JPG

DSC06437.JPG

DSC06438.JPG

DSC06439.JPG

As you can see, it's VERY unclean, because it's just scraps glued together over alfoil. I'm relying on sculpting and the fact that it's organic to hide these crimes.
I say this is a mostly recycled project because I'm planning to use foam clay to help blend elements and sculpt. But all the foam and alfoil, 100% scraps from old projects.

EDIT:
Flood infection form patterns are below

Attachments

• FloodInfectionPattern.pdf
    6.7 MB · Views: 285
Last edited:
That looks so cool! I guess I'll need to make few of these at some point and your thread will be really helpful :)
Cheers! If I was doing this properly, I'd probably actually carve the basic shape from expanding foam and layer it with EVA/foam clay, or what I REALLY want to do is make a plush one someday (as well as a plush Half Life headcrab).
And yea, judging by your name, you'd probably need a few of these things. Mine currently is only about 32cm high, but these range from 87cm to 1.3m - jeez!

Cheers! If I was doing this properly, I'd probably actually carve the basic shape from expanding foam and layer it with EVA/foam clay, or what I REALLY want to do is make a plush one someday (as well as a plush Half Life headcrab).
And yea, judging by your name, you'd probably need a few of these things. Mine currently is only about 32cm high, but these range from 87cm to 1.3m - jeez!

Oh yes! Plushie flood spores! They look cute, even ones from legendary crate

1589543117136.png

But imagine if one of these big ones tries to get into your nervous system... it gives me creeps...

Since I can't get more foam the the moment, putting my current projects on hold, I've decided to challenge myself to make something out of scraps I have laying around. I'm taking a bit of a leap with this one, making the Halo 3 Flood Infection form. It's not full scale because crikey, those things are MASSIVE! - and also because I'm using the remains of my original alfoil model of the grunt leg (with a bit of alfoil ripped off the arms).

Some shoddy WIP pictures:
View attachment 290491

View attachment 290492

View attachment 290494

View attachment 290495

View attachment 290493

As you can see, it's VERY unclean, because it's just scraps glued together over alfoil. I'm relying on sculpting and the fact that it's organic to hide these crimes.
I say this is a mostly recycled project because I'm planning to use foam clay to help blend elements and sculpt. But all the foam and alfoil, 100% scraps from old projects.
This is looking pretty good so far. Yeah the fact that it's organic will definitely help with the end results. I'm excited to see how this turns out!

This is looking pretty good so far. Yeah the fact that it's organic will definitely help with the end results. I'm excited to see how this turns out!
Can't wait to see the end results! You could also try covering it in very very thin fabric and paint liquid latex over it to give it that nasty skin look.

Thanks guys! Fabric and liquid latex is a great idea, like how Punished Props made their Venom Symbiote. I've also been considering using cotton wool and Mod Podge to create the texture, then possibly add some string in there to look like veins.

Got an update - added the tentacles for its... "infecty arms" and the "legs". Also cleaned up a bit around the top and added the spike. Now I did attach the claw that's on the front side, but I had to chop it off straight away... it just made me really uncomfortable...

DSC06440.JPG

DSC06441.JPG

DSC06442.JPG

As you may see, the tentacles aren't properly scaled, simply because I'm running with limited scrap foam.

Are you going to C2E2 2021? We should make this a little event where we all bring a flood related item whether it's an infection form, costume, whatever. We could get some great pictures with these props!

edit: Credit goes to he4thbar
Alas, I come from the Land Down Under, so that'll be a little difficult for me. I would LOVE to see a Flood meet up, there isn't enough Flood cosplays! Just do what was done with Dirtdives and have a picket sign with my picture on it.
They were right, one little parasite can have unforseen concequences.

Alas, I come from the Land Down Under, so that'll be a little difficult for me. I would LOVE to see a Flood meet up, there isn't enough Flood cosplays! Just do what was done with Dirtdives and have a picket sign with my picture on it.
They were right, one little parasite can have unforseen concequences.

Just bookmarked your post. I'll see to it that it is done.

Pretty much finished the "tendrils" (I need a Flood anatomy class). These were cut from 1mm foam so they are quite fragile, because of this I've coated them in a few layers of flexbond to give them strength before I apply them. The flexbond not only soaked in but dried up in small pools next to the foam, which gives it a pretty cool texture (it can't really be seen here).

The original idea was to use a cone shape so they would start small and get bigger, however the genius inside of me forgot to see that they won't expand out if the ends aren't connected. I made a wriggly/branching pattern on Inkscape and used this template to cut out the foam with scissors. I tried with a scalpel knife but no matter how sharp it was, it tore the paper. So it's a bit rough but she'll be right.

DSC06443.JPG

Did the sealing on baking paper so the flexbond wouldn't absorb through and bond the paper and foam together.

Attachments

• TentacleConePatterned.pdf
    7.4 KB · Views: 283
Wow I'm late to the party.

Spidermonkey60 RandomRanger Purplehazey we all need to make at least one before c2e2 2021 with our scraps.

K, so if you're gonna make a flood Form, you NEED to build it around this:

Rip the hand- form off and install into the flood form. I think to know where I'm going with this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back