MrJamin's 3D Printed MK VI Master Chief

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrJamin

RXO
405th Regiment Officer
Member DIN
S829
I recently got a 3D printer (Prusa i3mk3s) and after finding the files from MoeSizzlac and helmet from Rainyfire on Thingiverse I decided I might want to print my own set in the future. The real push over the edge was stumbling on the full post of the build by JGPenland (found the cosplay Reddit post and he commented there to bring my back to 405th)

I've been playing around with and getting my printer dialed in and I can proudly say that I have finished printing the helmet. Next steps are to order more filament so that I can begin printing the armor and finish assembling the helmet. I will keep this post updated as I progress with my build. I am trying to get tickets to San Diego Comic Con next year and if I do I would use that as a goal to have my armor complete to wear for that.

First Attempt at printing part of the helmet: (Note the layer shifts since I hadn't dialed in my printer)
IMG_20190922_223156.JPG

This piece ended up failing about half way through the print. That is OK though since I got it to print successfully the second time without layer shifts.

Here is the helmet mostly complete and currently being held together with painters tape:
IMG_20191021_225239.JPG

Here is the helmet fully printed (still held together with painters tape). At this point I just had to put it on for a test fit! My wife ended up having to help me take it off since the opening was slightly too small and I couldn't get it off of my head without taking it apart. (there was some harassment about it too)
IMG_20191024_202209.JPG

After the helmet sat on my desk for a few days I finally got around to taking the painters tape off and started to assemble it:

IMG_20191104_215658.JPG

This is current state. I will post more pictures as it continues to progress.

Looking good! I'd say i'm willing to help but 3d printing is a whole other world to me. so i'll just cheer you along :D

Don't worry about the opening just yet. That can be shaved down to allow your melon to fit in. So the Prusa is a good printer.

Don't worry about the opening just yet. That can be shaved down to allow your melon to fit in. So the Prusa is a good printer.
I have been really happy with the Prusa. I got it as a kit and put it together. This was a great way to learn about the printer before starting to print.

Prusa just released their new model which is very attractive in my opinion. It has a ton of features and a respectable build volume for being called a mini.

I have officially taken the plunge for the armor.
I printed the first piece last night and have another printing right now.
(bonus points if you can guess what it is)
Armor.jpg

I also ordered eight additional kilograms of filament that should be delivered early next week.

Bonus Pic of my printer printing the piece last night:
Printer.jpg

(I am almost out of my current black filament. I used a bunch of it for the helmet and a few other random prints)

Pretty pricey........looks like a solid printer though. and that 1st piece is the back of the hand plate.....

Pretty pricey........looks like a solid printer though. and that 1st piece is the back of the hand plate.....
I guess it was pretty obvious... I was trying to see if there is any difference between the left and right hand backs as MoeSizzlac has different files for them.

That's a handplate, halo reach by the looks of it
You are correct on back of the hand. However it is for the Halo 3 MK VI

Correction, not Halo Reach, I'm guessing Mk vi

You are correct on back of the hand. However it is for the Halo 3 MK VI
Gosh darnnit I was jut a moment too late

I have officially taken the plunge for the armor.
I printed the first piece last night and have another printing right now.
(bonus points if you can guess what it is)
View attachment 280364

I also ordered eight additional kilograms of filament that should be delivered early next week.

Bonus Pic of my printer printing the piece last night:
View attachment 280365
(I am almost out of my current black filament. I used a bunch of it for the helmet and a few other random prints)
Hello hand plate.

ExCeLLuR8 could tell you if the hand plates are intended to by symmetric or asymmetric. Idk if anyone's studied the details of H3 Mk VI more than him.
Handplates are symmetrical however the biggest mistake I always see people make with this armor is they make them way to small.. in halo 3, the handplate pretty much covers the entire hand except for all the digits. They're pretty big, but if you mount them correctly to the glove, there are absolutely no movement restrictions at all. I dont even realize mine are on when wearing them.

20190821_155244.jpg20190709_221659.jpgIMG-20191031-WA0018.jpg20190623_123657.jpg

I guess it was pretty obvious... I was trying to see if there is any difference between the left and right hand backs as MoeSizzlac has different files for them.

No difference. When I first started uploading, I didn't know if people would figure out that it's the same file just labeled differently. I had a lot of messages asking for the other piece. Now I just started putting in the file name - "Print 2 of these" hoping that they get it.

So are you printing a bicep/shoulder piece now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back