My first foam build - Marine Corps

Discussion in 'Halo Costumes and Armor' started by TooBlue, Sep 22, 2018.

Tags:
  1. TooBlue

TooBlue New Member

Hi, I’ve been looking around this group for quite a while, and I’ve comtemplated on building either an ODST or Spartan suit. After some consideration, I’ve decided to start with the Marine Corps, just so I get the gist of everything.

I’m using Andrew DFT’s templates, which is a godsend.

I went to my local Bunnings this morning and grabbed some foam mats, spray paint and the rest I already had.

Wish me luck.

Photo of progress so far; I’ve cut out the foot plate

image.jpg

image.jpg

2. PerniciousDuke

PerniciousDuke RXO 405th Regiment Officer

I bid you good journey, sir. ;)

Dirtdives, PaiganBoi and TooBlue like this.
  3. xXDashIVXx

xXDashIVXx Member

WHAT EVER YOU DO, DON'T STOP! T is well worth it and you'll feel great when it's done. I can't wait to see your progress!

Dirtdives and TooBlue like this.
  4. TooBlue

TooBlue New Member

I’ve finished heat gunning the shoe and shin plates, and completed the calf guard (although it’s not the exact one)

F066D1B2-9900-483A-971B-A349D76775E2.jpeg

Dirtdives and Mysterythetiger like this.
  5. TooBlue

TooBlue New Member

And the end of day two of making this. The leg pieces have been molded into place, and I start the torso tomorrow.
    8D22A803-A594-4CCB-9C90-61822997F7B3.jpeg

6. Sean Anwalt

Sean Anwalt RCO 405th Regiment Officer

Looking great so far. Remember to keep super sharp blades and be careful with your cuts. That'll make your build 3800% cleaner with better seams.

Dirtdives and TooBlue like this.
  7. xXDashIVXx

xXDashIVXx Member

That's a big number. My head hurts! Now my next helmet will look like dirtdives made it

Dirtdives and Sean Anwalt like this.
  8. TooBlue

TooBlue New Member

Day three, and I’ve started the chest. However, because I burnt myself on hot glue pretty badly, I’m out of action until I recover. This is what I’ve done so far though.
    65EB5846-4DFA-4D96-82FA-6A4489F491B7.jpeg

Dirtdives likes this.
  9. TooBlue

TooBlue New Member

Day four (I’m skipping yesterday), all that’s left to make is the back plate and the helmet, then the fun begins. I’m out of foam however, so I’ll need to buy more
    4EB4660F-8B7F-4F21-85F8-5E2B3BFF490B.jpeg

Dirtdives likes this.
  10. mupchurch

mupchurch New Member

Looking good - I just finished a DFT ODST suit myself. Looking now for a good clean entry into EVA Pep files that isn't a 10,000% difficulty increase :)

TooBlue and Sean Anwalt like this.
  11. Sean Anwalt

They're not that bad. Definitely need to have a good, clean, sharp blade. Practice your cuts. Take your time. Etc etc... it's fun.

Dirtdives likes this.
  12. TooBlue

TooBlue New Member

Day five, everything done except the helmet, which I’ll start tomorrow. I expect the helmet to take at least two days to complete
    7FCAEBC2-1F66-410F-ABC4-E09815F82A60.jpeg

Dirtdives and Lieutenant Jaku like this.
  13. mupchurch

mupchurch New Member

Have you sourced your underclothes yet? We had some good luck at Goodwill when looking for ours.

14. TooBlue

TooBlue New Member

I’m looking into them now actually

Dirtdives likes this.
  15. TooBlue

TooBlue New Member

Day six, and I’ve run out of Glue. So I need to go out to get more again.
    D1CED5CB-EF89-47DE-8D4F-17A28BEE9DF4.jpeg

16. mupchurch

mupchurch New Member

When you move on to your next build I'd suggest getting some Barge. It can really clean up the build and get a nice strong bond.

You going to build his ODST after this?

TooBlue likes this.
  17. TooBlue

TooBlue New Member

I’ll give it a shot. I am making an ODST build next actually, but it’ll have to be in the following holidays when I have time for it.

Dirtdives likes this.
  18. TooBlue

TooBlue New Member

I’ve finished the helmet, at last. It’s a little lob sided, but that can be fixed easily. Now it’s time for the fun part; spray painting.
    42F94AB3-D981-4FD5-9D1A-9BE5D376F0B2.jpeg

19. TooBlue

TooBlue New Member

All the pieces have been painted, meaning I’m almost done. Just need to buy Velcro to place on the clothing I still have to buy, and the pieces
    7D497ADB-3200-42F0-8974-7E9EE52DBDB0.jpeg

20. Dirtdives

Dirtdives Sr Member

Just playing catch-up. TooBlue, you only get to say this if you made your helmet too big....or too small.....or 8 times over.........but your build is looks great.

PaiganBoi and TurboCharizard like this.
  21. TooBlue

TooBlue New Member

I’ve finished, and, I’m honestly disappointed. I expected it to look better. I’d give it a 4/10.

05905FEA-C6AD-4049-B0BC-BA398A976563.jpeg 886A068C-6647-40A1-AF68-4F59A737BCA5.jpeg

22. xXDashIVXx

xXDashIVXx Member

Not gonna lie, the "balaclava" makes it look spoopy

23. Sean Anwalt

TooBlue, you can totally salvage this build, it doesn't look too bad at all. Especially for a first time build.

First off, the chest plate and back plate aren't connected, so some strapping over your shoulders will fix that. The shoulders look ok as is, so don't beat yourself up to much.

I'd add a strap under the arms to attach the back to the chest. That will prevent it from sticking out like a crazy back wing.

The paint job could use a (slightly) lighter color green to add effect, then go over it with clear matte finish, and it'll look better.

You got this, man. It looks good.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2018
    TurboCharizard and Dirtdives like this.
  24. Kula

Kula Member

Olive drab is sometimes the best bet for a color.

Sean Anwalt likes this.
  25. Dirtdives

Dirtdives Sr Member

I agree w/ Sean Anwalt. You're missing a lot of strapping points. That will greatly enhance the look and realistic aspect of a military type build. Also the thighs look like they need a bit more contouring around the leg itself. Pouches and web-belt couldn't hurt as well. Accessorize, HALO style.

TurboCharizard and Sean Anwalt like this.