My first foam build [[Reach Armor WIP]] Pic Heavy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
wow this is very awesome..your armor looks clean and i love the padding of the helmet ;o as for the comfortability, well ..Many of us face that when making armor costumes :D if i were you i wouldnt make the chest again (especially cuz it took up so much time and hard work) , i had the same problem with my n7 armor, i couldnt lower my arms right next to my body or drink properly, so i walked like i 'owned the place' and when i wanted to drink , i chugged my head and body back while taking shots ahhaha :D problem solved

Any progress dude? feel like its a been a while since I got an update on your work!

i couldnt lower my arms right next to my body or drink properly, so i walked like i 'owned the place' and when i wanted to drink , i chugged my head and body back while taking shots ahhaha

Same problem for me except I made some cutaways to the inner elbow on my suit so I could get a hand to my face. Theres was no way I was letting anything stop me drinking my pint :p

Update. I've been knocked down with the flu for the past week so I've had very limited progress. First I'll start with post responses then I'll throw a pic or two to show what I've been working on.

Looking good! Just be careful of the heat build up from the padding. One thing I learnt was to put some padding over the bridge of the nose and close off the nose and mouth. This stops the visor steaming up

I'm planning on installing a fan in the helmet to keep the visor clear and ,because of the shape of the JFO, it funnels my breath down and out and away from the visor anyway so I hope I dont have too many issues with heat.

this has been a pretty fun and awesome build to follow. good job on everything

It's been quite a journey! I've learned so much from everyone here and my technique has advanced quite a long way since I began. Thank you for following along!

I like the home made padding. Looks really well done. Cant wait to see the entire thing finished!

Thanks! I have limited sewing skills but I can bodge out simple things like padding well enough. I'm getting so close to being done with the helmet so I should have some completed pics up soon!

wow this is very awesome..your armor looks clean and i love the padding of the helmet ;o as for the comfortability, well ..Many of us face that when making armor costumes if i were you i wouldnt make the chest again (especially cuz it took up so much time and hard work) , i had the same problem with my n7 armor, i couldnt lower my arms right next to my body or drink properly, so i walked like i 'owned the place' and when i wanted to drink , i chugged my head and body back while taking shots ahhaha problem solved

Lol! Sounds like you came up with a good solution to an annoying problem! Against all advice, I have disassembled much of the chest and have started re-working it. Looking at the chest compared to the rest of the armor there was a definite difference in skill level and technique that was always annoying me. I'm not a perfectionist, however I was never happy with the chest compared to the rest of the suit so I have to redo it or it will drive me batty.

Any progress dude? feel like its a been a while since I got an update on your work!

Yeah I had some things come up that kept me from getting alot of work done and then I got sick with the flu. I hope to get back to regular updates soon.

Dude, this is amazing! Is this really your first foam build?

Thanks for looking! And yeah, this is my first.

Update time. I never added the same level of craft foam detail to the bracers that I added to the rest of the suit so I took care of that the other day.

Here are the bracers as they were:

IMG_0967.jpg

And here they are after the addition of the craft foam.

IMG_1318_zps8b9d21f1.jpg

IMG_1319_zpse4d6a947.jpg

IMG_1320_zps4e07c048.jpg

I also got the visor installed on the helmet. Here is a pic of the installation of the screw posts.

IMG_1321_zpse33916eb.jpg

Here you can see the gaps that need to be filled.

IMG_1323_zps5eec269f.jpg

IMG_1324_zpsdb91daf9.jpg

IMG_1325_zps475294d1.jpg

And here are the detail lines drawn over the protective tape on the visor. I'll cut those lines away and etch the visor somehow to add the lines.

IMG_1322_zps67368177.jpg

Thats all for now. Thanks for looking!

Hope you feel better soon mate!! To extend what I said about over heating and steam ups. Tbh when I wore my suit out first time nye. I really didn't have any steam up issues. Ok I took measures to insure it but actually I think when at home I was in a heated environment and that plus my undersuit made steam ups a problem. Out an about with airflow etc its not an issue at all. I guess what I'm saying is coupled with your plans for a cooling system is. I retract my previous statement :p

No need to retract anything dude. I appreciate any and all advice and it can only help me out if I do forget something so please, keep it coming and dont hold back.

looking great, I like the idea with the screw posts, something that can't be done with foam which is unfortunate! but i'm gonna remember that one for my chief build :)

Last update! Well...the last update before I show off the completed helmet. Hehe. I figured out a way to solve the gap issues with the visor that didnt involve more bondo and a few more hours of sanding.

IMG_1331_zps41d1ffb9.jpg

Our hero "Craft Foam" to the rescue again!

IMG_1334_zps891e3895.jpg

IMG_1335_zps46a53484.jpg

I also added the holes for the LED lighting.

IMG_1336_zpsa9cfd069.jpg

The craft foam also added a nice finishing touch to the "jaw" section of the inside of the helmet. It will be a nice base to mount the cpu fan on.

IMG_1337_zps4f53b28b.jpg

Next update and series of pictures will be of the completed helmet.

Thanks for looking!

Damn, this is lookin' fine. I would have never thought to fill the gaps between the visor and the helmet with foam; I've only seen epoxy putty (or something like that) used.
(Been lurkin', followin' this thread for a while, by the way, and I gotta say: your armor looks so clean! You are an inspiration.)
I look forward to the final product!

I agree with Sara. Definitely a smart move with the foamies. Looks awesome. Forearms look great too. Can't wait to see what you come up with next.

I know people hate posts with no pics, but I just had to update my thread with some info on why its taking me so long to complete the helmet. I've been trying to get the electronics right and its been giving me fits. I blew out one LED and then purchased a defective one to replace it. We only have 2 Radio Shack locations locally and for some reason I just can't seem to get a break long enough to go get yet another LED.

On top of that, I busted a hole through the side of my helmet trying to remove a battery case that I hot glued in a bit prematurely. That was a bad night.

On a positive note, the helmet has been repaired and I am only a couple of steps away from completion. The blue was hand painted on (I managed to avoid brush strokes by using a foam brush and by thinning the paint) and the black sections of the helmet are also complete. I have a few silver parts to paint which I have under coated with black and then I need to weather it. My wire harness for the LED's is awaiting one new LED and it will be done and ready to install. The padding will be contact cemented into the helmet and the visor will be screwed in and I will be able to call this one complete!

So...yeah...I'm still alive and kicking and still chugging away with my build and I hope to have some completed pics up soon!

Thanks for looking!

Man this is looking awesome. Looks sweet. I gotta get unbusied at work so I can continue in my project.

I am sad that i have missed this thread... everything looks great so far :) good job!

Update time! Helmet is finished! I wont bore you with lengthy descriptions or steps taken since I used the same techniques that others have used to achieve the weathered look with the paint. So without further ado...

Heres the helmet with the LED's lit up.
IMG_1358_zpse814f0f5.jpg

Here are the side profiles.
IMG_1354_zps9ded2605.jpg

IMG_1353_zpsa591ae76.jpg

Here's the back.
IMG_1355_zpsacce570d.jpg

Here's the top.
IMG_1356_zpse5ed996c.jpg

Visor detail.
IMG_1357_zpsc6cb6201.jpg

And here it is on my casaba. I think I might try to get some additional mirrored film for the inside since you can see some of my face in normal light.
IMG_1359_zps01a7a293.jpg

All in all, I'm very pleased. I was unable to find spray paint in a color that matches the paint I have chosen for the armor so I used a foam brush and watered the paint down a bit to ensure smooth application. I used typical drybrushing tecnhiques to achieve the weathered, battleworn look. To get the dirty crevices look I used black ink watered down and applied with a small brush to get into the seams and then applied with a cloth on the other parts that would accumulate filth. Like I said, nothing new or cutting edge. I will say that 20+ years of painting miniatures helped me quite a bit though.

With the completion of the helmet I only have to reconstruct the chest and then paint and light everything to have a completed suit. The light at the end of the tunnel is getting brighter, and I think it's a nice bright blue.

Thanks for looking!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back