My first foam build [[Reach Armor WIP]] Pic Heavy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking really nice Ghost! Looking forward to seeing this one all painted up :)

Awesome work, the attention to detail really shows. Can't wait to see this all painted up with the visor fitted.

I can't recall if you mentioned it but do you plan on casting the helmet?

You foam armor looks great. I'm loving how well your Helmet is moving along as too, Awesome detailing. :D

That is some seriously great work my friend. Certainly inspiring me to star a new project..... stupid life keeps interfering.

Thats looking sweet. Can't wait to see it with the visor. How are you gonna do it...still vac form(thought i saw). And yes you should do a whole suit, helmet pic.

Looks awesome! Now do a full suit pic!

I will do so very soon.

Every thing looks real nice. keep up the good work and cant wait to see the end product.

Thanks! I got tied up with the fine details of the helmet which delayed my progress quite a bit.

Epic! I hope mine turns out this good

I have complete faith in you bro.

Looking really nice Ghost! Looking forward to seeing this one all painted up

Soon! Very soon!

Awesome work, the attention to detail really shows. Can't wait to see this all painted up with the visor fitted.

I can't recall if you mentioned it but do you plan on casting the helmet?

Thanks! I do plan on casting this one once I get the funds set aside for all the materials.

You foam armor looks great. I'm loving how well your Helmet is moving along as too, Awesome detailing.

Thank you! Looking at the pile of armor really keeps me inspired to keep going. That and the comments from the forum.

That is some seriously great work my friend. Certainly inspiring me to star a new project..... stupid life keeps interfering.

Glad I could inspire you!

Thats looking sweet. Can't wait to see it with the visor. How are you gonna do it...still vac form(thought i saw). And yes you should do a whole suit, helmet pic.

I appreciate the praise. I'm kind of stuck on the visor though. I would like to get a motorcycle replacement visor, I just dont know if a standard visor will fill the entire void area of the helmet. I need a minimum of 6 inches of height to fill the space but I am having trouble finding detailed information on visor dimensions. I've never make a vaccum table before so I'm not sure if going that route would be practical for me. More research is in my future.

Full armor pics to come soon!

i definitely enjoyed going through all the pics and watching the progress, really amazing build! thanks for sharing :D

i definitely enjoyed going through all the pics and watching the progress, really amazing build! thanks for sharing

Thank you for looking! I have several more pics at the end of this post.

You have some serious bondo skills there! So far this is the best looking JFO by quite a bit

I appreciate it! I hope to have a nice looking helmet when it's all done.

Well here we go! Pic heavy update ahead!

I completed the hand plates.

IMG_1264_zpsb8f3c1f6.jpg

IMG_1265_zpsa12518b3.jpg

IMG_1266_zps31a9c149.jpg

And per the recent requests...

IMG_1274_zps0dc97e98.jpg

IMG_1276_zps0e962c7b.jpg

And even without the padding in the helm and the lack of a good undersuit and no way to hold on the handplates...

IMG_1281_zps42b88d6f.jpg

Please ignore my non-Spartan like midsection. Hehe.

IMG_1283_zpsd65fa740.jpg

What I've learned by putting all of this on is as follows:

I need thinner undersuit material to keep the heat buildup down.

I need to work on the spacing of the thighs and the shins.

I need to create a good neckseal (part of the undersuit build that will be following the armor build completion).

I need to close the gap from my ab-plate to my cod. This might actually facilitate a rebuild of the chest.

I need to create a seal that coveres my ankles and tucks under the bottom of the shins.

The chest piece is also a bit tight. The thickness of the armor that crosses under my arms makes it difficult to put my arms down.

End result...I think I need to build a new chest. *sigh*

Oh well. Live and learn! Thanks for looking!

ok firstly, WOW it looks epic.

second, NO you don't need a new chest, take a look at my finished pics on my thread. Was i comfy? NO!!! but you have to consider proportions. This suit is designed for someone of captain america bulk with hulk's height. You won't fit it properly!!
As I did you can fit it the best you can, and as I found it melds to you. You just get fluid and used to it! do some test fits and wear it and see how it goes. For nye I wore a black wet suit for my under suit and truthfully that was the best choice ever, it worked so well no over heating just comfort!

dude you've done an epic job so far and i'm really impressed!

Yay! Full suit pics! It looks beautiful dude, can't wait to see it finished!

Edit:
Upon further look at reference pics, the chest looks small, and since you said you can't mover arms all that well, I think you should redo it. Otherwise, it looks fantastic!

That looks so awesome dude. I WANT! But I guess ill have to stick with making my own lol. Seriously though keep up the awesome work.

Update time. I finished the padding for the helmet.

I cut out paper shapes to test fit the foam pad placement and then transferred the paper shapes onto 1" foam.

IMG_1286_zps7f2369c8.jpg

IMG_1288_zpsca8d3990.jpg

IMG_1289_zpsb9ea14d3.jpg

After I got all the foam shapes cut out and shaped up I test fitted them in the helmet.

IMG_1295_zpsa4f4f50c.jpg

Next step was to take the foam shapes and trace their outlines on black, cotton fabric. I included a 3/4" seam allowance around each shape and cut out 2 fabric shapes per foam shape.

IMG_1296_zps3417a69e.jpg

IMG_1297_zps2da1f2cb.jpg

Then I sewed along the edge of the shape, leaving a gap so that I could stuff the foam inside.

IMG_1298_zpsc5dca846.jpg

IMG_1299_zpsf9f7facd.jpg

Then I stuffed the foam in and stitched up the remaining opening in the fabric.

IMG_1301_zpsbe70ca63.jpg

IMG_1300_zps8441e1a8.jpg

IMG_1302_zps658d0949.jpg

I repeated this with several shapes, test fitting as I went to make sure that there would be no gaps in the padding coverage in the helmet.

IMG_1305_zps51f09e48.jpg

I also added a ribbed strip that runs at the base of the padded area to ensure a snug fit with the helmet.

IMG_1308_zps0b98e1b1.jpg

I test fitted the helmet and it fits like a glove.

On another note, I got the visor in the mail this afternoon.

IMG_1312_zps681da5a8.jpg

The pic isnt all that clear with the plastic on the visor, so here's an online pic of the visor I ordered.

31z7OaOroL__SS400__zps661c4a37.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Looking good! Just be careful of the heat build up from the padding. One thing I learnt was to put some padding over the bridge of the nose and close off the nose and mouth. This stops the visor steaming up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back