My first "Halo Reach helmet and armor build"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very decent job thus far! Your bondo work is pretty exceptional and your pictures are very clear. I can tell you take pride in your work. I'll keep my eye on this one as well!

Thanks, this is my first time using Bondo so I am learning lol. I took a look at your build from your link and you did an awesome job, I hope my complete build comes out looking that nice. I plan on making my armor out of foam tho and my rifle will be scratch built from a blue print and not pep.

Update: I added some of top/side detail seen in the concept. I didn't wrap the curve around the top so the two sides meet but I may be adding that soon as it will then create the detail missing on the very top. Also I am running low on Bondo lol, I am learning as I go so I have wasted a lot in the beginning :) More sanding to do, the edges need to be defined some more and the ear pieces detail needs to be added. Also I have to decide if I want to add some venting for cooling, I plan on adding fans inside the helmet. I have scavenged a fan from an old Video card to use but I want to at least two fans and of course lights too.

Hmm just noticed that the top indent has a slight angle towards the front of the helmet, that I will have to fix, Dremel, chisel, files and sandpaper :)

helmet_bondo13.jpg

helmet_bondo13.jpg

Last edited:
I like the way you included the side detail there. Unless you are recreating a specific character, I think it is good to add your own little touches to the armor.

I like the way you included the side detail there. Unless you are recreating a specific character, I think it is good to add your own little touches to the armor.

Thanks, Jason

Yeah I decided to make it slightly different and break the rules so to speak :)

Update: I decided to primer the helmet again while I thought about how I wanted to do the ear piece. The image below shows my thoughts and design decisions for my next moves. I also will be fixing some areas that needed fixing.

I have done one pass on the cheek vent area where lights will be installed. Looking at this it need to be deeper since I want a small lip still showing after the clouded plastic will be installed. I haven't drilled the holes either since I want to see how large the lights will be so I don't make the holes to big.

Also I made stand for the helmet to be mounted on while I work on it. Makes it much easier to paint the helmet :)

helmet_bondo14.jpg

helmet_bondo14.jpg

This is looking amazing. Your bondo/rondo work is incredible, I'm envious of how clean and sharp all your angles are. Awesome work though, looking forward to seeing it finished.

That is looking very nice. You are much braver than I am with regards to making the ear cup. I'd be more likely to buy a little $0.25 plastic toy from a store machine and use the bottom of the plastic case thingy for that part. I look forward to seeing how it progresses!

This is amazing! My skills with bondo are lacking to say the least. My first suit is to be done by september with no bondo but after that i will attempt it and after looking here it gives me idea's of how to go about doing it!

This is amazing! My skills with bondo are lacking to say the least. My first suit is to be done by september with no bondo but after that i will attempt it and after looking here it gives me idea's of how to go about doing it!

Let me know if you have any questions when you do, I would be happy to help.

Update: Today's update is adding micro details, the ones that are smaller and compliment the over all design of the piece. Since many of the details are small or have tight straight lines it presents a challenge. Below I will explain each area I worked on in the images and what I did to over come the challenge.

Image 1:
"Top of the helmet" First I used a flexible ruler to draw out the shape I wanted to carve into the the top of the helmet. I then used my Dremel tool with the grout attachment to it so it would give me the control I need with the carving bit. The hardest part was the curvature of the helmet and the amount of dust piling up blocking my view of the lines. I added this detail since the top need some micro details that would work with the flow of the helmet. I didn't want to add any more raised areas to the surface of the top.

Image 2:
"Ear Piece" I kept worrying about how I would make a perfect circle that was smooth then add the straight lines to either side and still have them level with each other. Symmetry is your biggest challenge when making this stuff. So as you can see I found a thick plastic lid in the recyclables that did the trick, I made a template that the Dremel bit could butt up against as I carved into the helmet. It was important not to rush and dig deep into the surface but rather gradually work my way down in layers to prevent mistakes and make it smooth.

Image 3:
"Invention" After I was done carving the surface of the ear piece ,it was uneven and rough, I need a way to sand it but not wreck my fingers in the process. So with I took an Allen Wrench tool, hot glued some sand paper to the rounded handle and presto a sanding tool. As you can see in the image it worked great and the extra sandpaper on the edged smoothed the inner wall of the circle.

Image 4:
"Side View" After sanding all the nooks and crannies I took a picture to show you where I am at. I also added the small slit on the jaw line near the vents. I have more sanding to do and carving in details on the back and very front of the helmet. I will update again soon...

Thanks for taking a look.

helmet_bondo15.jpg

helmet_bondo15.jpg

Last edited:
Update: I am at the stage where I will be installing the visor and painting the helmet. I also ordered the following;

1. LED lights
2. Battery Connectors 9 Volt
3. 1 inch square fans for cooling and keeping the visor clear
4. On/Off switches to control power to both the fans and the lights.
5. Padding material for the interior, I plan on using Velcro and making my own pads so its more custom to my head.

I am still trying to decide what color to paint the helmet, I like the blue I have seen on the Noble 6 but the traditional green looks good too. I will probably go with the blue though. Hardest thing about this whole process is getting the entire helmet smooth with no bumps or wrinkles :) I also added a battle damage mark across the top using my Dremel tool, it will be an impact mark of some sort, I will use my airbrush to scorch it up some.

helmet_bondo16.jpg

1 inch fan, one for each vent opening in the front, both are 5V fans and will be running on a 9 volt battery stored in the back of the helmet.

fan.jpg

Your comments and suggestions are always welcomed, thanks for taking a look.

Renraku

fan.jpg

Last edited:
Never have done molding but the thought has crossed my mind :) Focusing more on completing my entire suit first lol

Probably a good idea. I didn't realize you were building the whole suit because the thread title only says helmet build, but I'm not surprised in the least. Once you start building armor, one does not simply stop ;)

This is impressive my friend. Very inspiring too! Keep up the good work *subscribed*

Thanks, I am learning as I go...

Probably a good idea. I didn't realize you were building the whole suit because the thread title only says helmet build, but I'm not surprised in the least. Once you start building armor, one does not simply stop ;)

Yes I should have labeled it differently and at the time. I wasn't sure I was going finish the whole suit, but the helmet is turning out good so I have already planned out the suit and Rifle.

Do you think I should start a new thread for the suit? Probably would be less confusing.

You can change the title simply by going back to your first page. Edit your first post by going to the "Go Advanced" page for editing. There you can change the title :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back