My first "Halo Reach helmet and armor build"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lookin very good. Also digging the playin card trick. Cerealkill3r has some good tips. Keep the pics coming

Update: Visor installation

Sorry I haven't posted in awhile its been real hard to get into the garage lately to work on it and its been killing me :D But I made time today and this is what I did.

Image group 1:
The first set of images show my prep work for installing the Visor into the helmet. I taped some card stock inside the helmet where the visor would go and traced out the border of the opening. Next I scanned it into the computer and added the actual etching lines I will be using for the visor. I then used painters tape over the visor to protect it. Next I placed the visor back inside the helmet and figured out where the posts needed to be glued. after the everything had dried and was ready I drilled holes into the visor and mounted it inside with the tape still in place for protection.

helmet_bondo17.jpg

Image group 2:
After printing out the template for the etching I glued it onto the tape covered visor, I then very carefully with an Xacto knife cut out the outline of the template. After it was complete I removed the visor, template and the tape. Next I took a small etching tool from my Dremel kit and by hand scrapped away all the reflective surface with in the template lines, this took about an hour lol. Finally I covered the visor with Reynolds wrap to protect it and placed it back inside the helmet. Next I took Epoxy putty and filled in all the gaps around the visor as seen in the last photo. Now I have to wait 24 hours before sanding and filing the putty down. After trying the putty it didnt cure correctly and I had to scrap and file off all of it. I instead used Rondo with the visor protected by painters tape then I hot glued cards on the inside to contain the Rondo when I poured it in. The end result was no gaps and very smooth seal. Oh and dont use Reynolds wrap it tears to easy, use painters tape instead...

helmet_bondo18.jpg

Next will be painting and electronics installation....

helmet_bondo17.jpg

helmet_bondo18.jpg

Last edited:
Looking great so far man! I am praying my visor turns up today cause its 5 days over due grrr!

Looking great so far man! I am praying my visor turns up today cause its 5 days over due grrr!

Thanks drack, yeah I purchased two visors because I originally was going to a tiered version but opted to stick with a one etched visor. Ill be using your foam tutorials when I start my armor suit, thanks for making those :)

Renraku

Hello, Well after an extreme amount of sanding I have an update....

I sanded the helmet down in every nook and cranny. The applied a primer to it, note to everyone do not use Rustoleum primer ...it sucks. I had to re-sand the whole helmet after using it because it was very rough. I never had this problem with Krylon paint, so I will be using Krylon from now on. So first image is a sanded helmet, second is primer painted and the last I inserted the visor just to see how it would look. The next step is place of the light before painting the final colors.

helmet_bondo19.jpg

Oh and someone suggested battle damage so I added a bullet impact on the top left side.

helmet_bondo19.jpg

Last edited:
Update: Final painting

Hello, everyone

Its been awhile since I updated this post, so here is what I have completed so far. I chose a final color to use which was drab olive green which felt better than the blue I was going to use. I still have to put in the lights, fans and padding yet. I also may add small colored graphics I have seen on other builds and game shots, let me know what you all think of that idea. Just putting the visor in makes a huge difference. I will be making one more update when the lights, padding and fans are in, then I will be starting on my armor suit.

**Also let me know if you all think I should cast this, i have been debating on doing that, as always thanks for all your feedback.

Renraku

helmet_bondo20.jpg

helmet_bondo20.jpg

Last edited:
Ok I went into Photoshop and added the details I am thinking of adding, let me know what you guys think...

thanks

helmet_details.jpg

helmet_details.jpg

Last edited:
That's one sweet looking reach helmet! Nice work on it, especially for your first build. Looks like you put a lot of effort into the detailing, and that blue/green visor really finishes it nicely :)

Also, the symbols and stuff you added in Photoshop look great, are you going to stencil them onto the helmet? I think they really add to it.

That's one sweet looking reach helmet! Nice work on it, especially for your first build. Looks like you put a lot of effort into the detailing, and that blue/green visor really finishes it nicely :)

Also, the symbols and stuff you added in Photoshop look great, are you going to stencil them onto the helmet? I think they really add to it.

Thanks, I am very pleased on how it turned out. Yes I have already made templates on the computer I just have print them out. Then I will air brush them on and then do a dirt pass over them.

Your bondo work is inspiring :p, I've just been trying to correct the mistakes on my cast and I get a little of that same feeling where it just seems like every day its add more puddy and sand..add more puddy and sand. Your helmet is a good motivation to remind me i should take my time and not rush myself :D.

Your bondo work is inspiring :p, I've just been trying to correct the mistakes on my cast and I get a little of that same feeling where it just seems like every day its add more puddy and sand..add more puddy and sand. Your helmet is a good motivation to remind me i should take my time and not rush myself :D.

Thanks Motion26, Yeah I still have small imperfections here and there but on the other hand as artist's we are our worst critics too :) PM me if you have questions on the Bondo stuff.

Renraku

Hey Renraku,
I just wanted to let you know that I've been following you're build. Watching silently from the side-lines. You love taking the 'hard route', taking 3 days to finish a task instead of 3 hours. This helmet is taking you forever and a day to build! And that's just fine. Time... is the reason you're helmet looks the way it does... Time spent, is why it looks fantastic! The pride, joy, effort and time you have put in to this piece shines through by the quality of what you have built! My friend, you should be ever so proud of what you've done here. Being this was you're first go at working with fillers and crafting details by hand. You should smile each and every time you walk passed this piece so that it reminds you of what you have accomplished! Well done Renraku, well done!

NOW GET TO WORK AND FINISH THE REST OF THE COSTUME!!!!

Regards,
Dave/Cereal.

Hey Renraku,
I just wanted to let you know that I've been following you're build. Watching silently from the side-lines. You love taking the 'hard route', taking 3 days to finish a task instead of 3 hours. This helmet is taking you forever and a day to build! And that's just fine. Time... is the reason you're helmet looks the way it does... Time spent, is why it looks fantastic! The pride, joy, effort and time you have put in to this piece shines through by the quality of what you have built! My friend, you should be ever so proud of what you've done here. Being this was you're first go at working with fillers and crafting details by hand. You should smile each and every time you walk passed this piece so that it reminds you of what you have accomplished! Well done Renraku, well done!

NOW GET TO WORK AND FINISH THE REST OF THE COSTUME!!!!

Regards,
Dave/Cereal.

Thanks, Dave that means a lot to me. I studied and watched your videos over and over before even starting my build of my helmet. I should be posting the final pics soon of the inner workings such as lights, fans and padding. When I do start my armor it will be foam, just waiting on some money to get that rolling :)

Dave/Renraku

stellar job renraku! just enough weathering too. that by hand etching looks great, who cares if it took an hour! are you planning on stenciling the details?

EDIT: Read the above comments, looking forward to the stencil work!

Great work mate! I agree with all the sentiments about taking your time and doing it right, and you wouldn't have posted this if you weren't proud of your efforts. I'm looking forward to see how you go about the stenciling. I've always cut out painters tape, but I've learned that the ingenuity in this community is nothing short of incredible. Best of luck, keep building, and keep us up to date.

Small update:

Added the stencil details, lights and fans. The next thing to do is the pads. My Foam arrived this week so I have been planning out my templates for the armor. I will probably not post for awhile til I have some shots of the armor done. The fans run great and keep me cool too. Thanks for all your feedback.

Ghost Bear - I simply measured the area where my Stencil would be going and then went into Photoshop. I created the text and triangle details, printed them out, cut them out and then I used rubber cement to apply the paper stencils to the helmet. The rubber cement simply pealed off after I was done painting and even it doesn't you just simply rub it off. Since I used Acrylic paint for the stencil details it was easy to gentle scrape away on the paint to get a more worn look. Hope that helps you, let me know if you have any other questions. :)

Renraku - Dave

helmet_bondo21.jpg

worn_edge_sample.jpg

Foam armor build

Its been a long time since I posted on the forums but I have been really busy with life and other things. First off I am now a modeler for Stony Props, they were nice enough to ask me to join them and they are a great group of people. I have included the image I am using for reference for my base build which may differ slightly here and there when I am done. I will try to cover techniques I have learned so as to share with them with you all. Things like adding details and gluing techniques, nothing more irritating them blobs of glue everywhere, I like to build as clean as possible.

I chose to go with foam as it is a lot cheaper, less toxic and much easier to work with. It is not as forgiving for mistakes so planning and execution are key. I have started this over a few times because I wasn't happy with the results. Like any material you have to get to know how it behaves and how to manipulate it.

halo_3_carter.jpg

Shin gaurd

Hello,

Yes this post was quick but I wanted to make sure I thought I cold pull this off before committing to a post for everyone to see. The first thing I will show you all is my shin armor, I am still not 100% done with the foam build on this section. I still have to figure out how I am going to treat the knee guard, will it be mounted to the shin guard or be mounted to my actual knee cap. in the image you will see there are burn holes I made with my hot knife, I actually plan on making these deeper and then gluing plastic screw heads into the holes instead. I am also going to add more detail lines to great what is called micro details to compliment the larger shapes.

The white glue splotches you see is Loctite gel glue which is like crazy glue and wont be noticeable after painting.

This will be the first of many quick posts I will have this week, your thoughts and suggestions are all welcomed as I am still learning this myself. :)

Thanks

foam_armor_01.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back