My First Helmet/armor Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liq

hi guys! after going full fail mode on my first forearm and handplate builds I decided to ditch what I was going with and move up to doing a mix of standard, and HD pieces.....

I started off doing Mroreo's smooth helmet, and the results were excellent. Now mind you this isn't an HD helmet, but I will be mixing some HD pieces along with this helmet and robos standard chestpiece FS HD chest OH YEAH! I'm not going to show the boring pep and resin stuff, just my finished product. I do intend to do some LED's and I might do something with the visor.

Please keep in mind my intentions weren't to make an exact duplicate of the Chief's helmet so some of the things you see may be a tad different, but for 2 weeks(off and on) work I think it turned out pretty good.

[attachment=10198:Halowear 016.jpg]

[attachment=10200:Halowear 018.jpg]

[attachment=10199:Halowear 017.jpg]

paradoxdj said:
wow man that looks awesome! now it's time to take another crack at those forearms and the rest.

got one hd handplate pepped, the other cut and an hd thigh printed. It took me a couple practice pieces but I just about got the hang of this :D

Last edited by a moderator:
halo101 said:
How did you get it sooooooooooo smoth. Bondo?

I used MROreo123s smooth pep file(thank you SO much!). It minimised the amount of bondo work I had to do to it, but I did spend a better part of the week doing a little bondo and some spot work with bondo putty. The weathering did a good job of hiding the imperfections I left behind. We will call those "battle damage".

sorry for the double post, but lets make this a full fledged WIP thread...

got 2x hd handplates ready for resin, hopefully today. I'll post up pics after they are 100% finished.

Halowear005.jpg

pooper said:
Hey, nice Helmet! :)

At what scale did you make it at?

Keep up the good work!

I just took a stab at it with 26.5, since that seemed average and I don't have a huge melon.I guess I got lucky it seems to fit well. Oh, and thanks for the fiberglass tut link you PM'ed me Pooper. I did try to send you a pm, but not too sure if your inbox was full or what.

I will call the handplates finished as of right now, but I might come back and repaint them. I'm not 100% happy with the paintwork on them, but then I think to myself "they are just handplates".

I've got the right thigh about 95% pepped. I'll post pics when finished with it and maybe the shin.

Halowear021.jpg

well I got the right thigh bondoed up, and primed. I was about to throw the first coat of green on it when I saw a sunk in corner where fiberglass didn't make it in. I'm just going to bondo it up, and put the base coat on tomorrow...its late. Heres a couple pics, sorry for bad quality I'm off and on with camera skill.

Halowear023.jpg

here is the offending corner. Its cool, I needed a shower and coke anyways.

Halowear024.jpg

Hey amazing armor dude. I just finished fiberglassing my handplates as well. Those little circles were a pain... I was just wondering where did you get the hd thigh pep file. I have looked and looked ad the only one i can find is the one here. click It might just be my internet or something but i cant get the files off of 4 shared. It says that the link is not valid. Can you help me out here dude?

hey man thanks so much for trying to help me out, but that link yo posted takes me to a page that says this page is no longer available. lol hd thighs arenot meant for me i guess. :)

*edit: actually i just found them. Man you are a life saver, andyou make some pretty sick armor to. :D Keep it up dude.

got the thigh painted up today. It still feels a little weird in the back above the knee so I might trim it a bit more, but I would like to have the compression pants or whatever I'm wearing first before I chop it up. I used the spray on truck bedliner stuff for the scales, and I kind of like it.

Halowear025.jpg

I got the right shin primed..well actually its green at the moment. I took a couple pics before it went out for base coat.

In the second pic you will see a line going up and down the calf, that is where I had to split it for it to fit, and its put back together with elastic strips(check my other thread for details). Its not really noticeable, and after weathering and battle damage are added I don't think it will stand out. I'll throw up some pics tomorrow of finished product.

halowear031.jpg

halowear035.jpg

dang man nice armor. i could only find one HD shin piece. do u know where i can find a pair of hd shin pieces? and do u know where i can find low to medium definition forearm pieces?

moultonator said:
dang man nice armor. i could only find one HD shin piece. do u know where i can find a pair of hd shin pieces? and do u know where i can find low to medium definition forearm pieces?

left and right shin are the same. They are not directional to either left nor right

I'm making 1 and molding it so I dont have to do all that work again. same with the hand plates and boots. :D

Great work.

I can tell that you have taken your time to have the best results.

The only problem I can see is that you made the inside of the thighs as hard as the rest of the armor, and that will rub and bang as you walk, but that's ok.

You've done surprisingly well.

I can't believe that a "Helmet First" kid is actually finishing other parts of the suit. That is rare.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back