My First Helmet/armor Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
spartan-005 said:
dude what are u using for ur under armor?

Under Armor Heatgear top and bottom. I think I paid like $40 for each piece at Academy Sports. The mask under the helmet is some balaclava(sp?) I got off Ebay for $6. I think I went too pricey for underarmor, but I can use it with any other costume I build pretty much.

Thanks for all the compliments guys. There was truly great inspiration found all over the boards here. I'll be posting up more pics in the coming weeks after Haloween, so stay tuned!

Last edited by a moderator:
Liq said:
something I noticed in putting the suit on yesterday...

I'm usually a painting pro in my own mind at least, but on the plastic plunger I put between the toe and back part of boot I'm experiencing flaking. The process I used to paint the plastic was a scuffing with sandpaper, then a coat of automotive spray primer, followed by another light scuffing. I did not put any paint over the primer as I wanted a worn look. Anybody got any solution to the paint coming off? In places its flaking I can see the gloss from the plastic, and I'm thinking its coming off because its such a bendable plastic.

Use the paint they make ,to apply to plastics like lawn chairs (currently folks ar using it to recoat toys r us weapons ) It's flexable . I agree with calling shennanegans this CANNOT be your first suit because then I must love & hate you @ the same time uh... I'm in violent awe of the paint job .Hey my suit is gold can I use they same technique to battle scar mine ?

teletron1 said:
Use the paint they make ,to apply to plastics like lawn chairs (currently folks ar using it to recoat toys r us weapons ) It's flexable . I agree with calling shennanegans this CANNOT be your first suit because then I must love & hate you @ the same time uh... I'm in violent awe of the paint job .Hey my suit is gold can I use they same technique to battle scar mine ?

yeah I was thinking of that plastic paint as well. I might check Walmart today to see if they sell it in flats. I imagine there wouldn't be a problem in doing the same scarring as I did even with gold as your basecoat. You might want to skip on spraying over with flat after you finish it though, as on mine it took away the metallic looking shine on my silver paintwork but that was what I was going for.

I really appreciate all the comments guys. i worked my booty off the last 5 months doing this, and loved every minute of it...well ALMOST!!! I do look forward to getting some improved pieces out later, and maybe in time doing some work with molding my work as well.

Oh, I almost forgot... I made a Youtube video using some pics here as well as probably a couple I didn't post in this thread.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbmWQFxXLKc&feature=player_profilepage[/media]

Well done Liq and Amanda! I was wondering how's your range of motion? I lost a lot of mobility in my arms. Just wondering if you ran into that problem.

top_shape said:
Well done Liq and Amanda! I was wondering how's your range of motion? I lost a lot of mobility in my arms. Just wondering if you ran into that problem.

Well I cant put my arms together very well if that makes sense. The pec area of the chest kind of blocks any motion I can make to the center of my body. I can't see below the upper chest area, and almost ran over my 7 year old the other day when she walked in front of me. I have to have help in putting on either the arm pieces or chest piece depending on what I put on first.

I find walking into the side of walls a bigger issue than range of motion. When I wear the helmet it screws up visibility a bit, and accidentally turning off the A/C because you walk into the thermostat in Alabama in August and not realizing it is BAD D:. I think my house stayed about 85 degrees that whole day.

On a side note if anybody is having trouble with pep pieces kind of shredding when they brush against each other or with say your helmet clipping your ears a little but you don't want to trim it more, then line the edges with that stuff used for lining the edges of car doors. Its very cheap, and does a great job. I lined the lower rim area of my helmet, and my boots yesterday where they were being trashed by the shin armor, and it does great.

Man I've been away from the forums for way too long... Awesome job on finishing Liq! I really like how your armor came together, it really makes me wish I had more time to pay attention to detail like you did.

009-SPA said:
The suit looks brilliant, are you planning on making anything else?

There are a couple things I would like to start on for next year. I was planning on doing a Boba Fett suit for next year, but after looking at some of the cost of it I enjoy being married too much to get into it. I'll probably redo some stuff I wasn't 100% happy with, and I still want to get the new model shins in at some point.

I might get into scratch building stuff as well. There was someone who had a deathknight WIP thread last week, and man its got me wanting to do something similar. I'm already spinning ideas for the suit in my head.

phenry I don't care what you say dude yours turned out better than mine, haha.

eh, sorry for the double postness...

While Haloween has come and gone, and after spending several hours in the suit I've ran into things I want to improve on or redo for next year. I have a couple questions though while my mind is on it.

The codpiece... I seemed to have problems getting it to sit flush with itself, similar to the pics on page 4. I think I should have cut it on the pouches instead of so close to the butt and cod areas. Could I just fiberglass the whole thing back together and recut it by pouches or would that be to much of a pain to get symmetrical again? anybody got experience messing with this? I might just have to end up rebuilding it, the pep part didn't take long, but man I hated glassing and bondoing it. I might just chalk it up as lesson learned.

The thighs... I left the inner black section hard, and used truck bedliner spray with a coat of clear flat over it and they still got chewed up from walking all the way through to paper in spots it seems like. Anybody got any ideas on this one? I used the exact paint steps as I did all the other pieces, it just seems the thighs got wrecked a little.

Oh, and the wife left the camera at home of course, but man I felt like a rockstar for a day on Halloween. We took the kids to trunk or treats around town, and from the first stop on I stayed swarmed,it was kind of overwhelming at first. I got my picture made with so many people including an 80 year old woman and a baby that was no older than 6 months old. People just couldn't believe it wasn't store bought. I'm REALLY looking forward to next year, and I've kinda been sad for the last couple weeks, like a post costuming hangover or something.

Sorry for the LONG and PIC HEAVY post in advance!

OK, so the weather has started to get really nice, and since BFBC:2 wants to be lame on me on my pc with the crashing I've spent some time working on improving the suit. We can call this version 2 or whatever.

First, I wanted to work on the helmet. I was happy with it at the time, but there is always room for improvement. By the time I had gotten to this part of the build I was very tired and just wanted the thing done with.

The first thing I went after was filling that gap between the visor and the front face of it, or whatever the scientific term is. I used Great Stuff to fill it, and after it dried out I cut it and did some bondo work to smooth it out(still in progress)...

Halowear113.jpg

I then wanted to add some details to the helmet. I was happy with the default build at the time, but to me it just lacks a 3rd dimension or something. Now, keep in mind most of the details I will be adding to the suit probably aren't like that of a MKVI, but I would rather it look cool than accurate. Here is the start of adding the details...

Halowear115.jpg

This is the point I am at now. Notice I've raised the areas in back and added some things in other places I thought were naked. I would say I'm at about 80% of where I want to be with the helmet right now, but I do need to go back out smooth out what I've done and do a little more bondo work before I decide on paint. I've got about 6 different colors in front of me and haven't really decided what color to go with yet.

Halowear120.jpg

Halowear117.jpg

Halowear118.jpg

Tell me what you guys think of it so far! I'm really trying to get back in the swing of things and progress won't be as fast as it was before, but the end product will be 100% better than my original work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back