My First Helmet Ever

Status
Not open for further replies.

woduddl0303

haha my first Halo helmet EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!! still don't know where to get a fiberglass and body filler. please tell my something I should fix. Thx

nice work so far, you can find the other materials at almost any hardware or auto parts store.

that's an awsome helmet man! looks great! I'm starting on my second pep helm using robogenesis's files, hope all goes well for me, I screwed up the first time by using just normal paper, however, my folds were descent but warping set in on one side of it after I finished, not a horrible one, but never the less un-doable with that type of paper.

EDIT: mind if I ask what pep file you used for that and the scale? I've wasted a ton of paper so far, cant seem to get my scale right, I've read the tutorial on here already for it, math is easy enough, but still not coming out right for me with the pep file im using. My first one that I made was one of flysquirel's pep files, Im horrible at scaling however it turned out perfect!, My pc took a crap and died and I lost the pep file tho. (cant seem to find on here or the armor wiki)

It's looking good, 405th Learner. I'm getting ready to start my very first pep project myself, I hope mine turns out as nice.

Nice helmet you got there... you're off to a good start!

Also, you can find resin/fiberglass at any auto shop. You can also find it in Walmart in the automotive section.

KySpartan said:
that's an awsome helmet man! looks great! I'm starting on my second pep helm using robogenesis's files, hope all goes well for me, I screwed up the first time by using just normal paper, however, my folds were descent but warping set in on one side of it after I finished, not a horrible one, but never the less un-doable with that type of paper.
EDIT: mind if I ask what pep file you used for that and the scale? I've wasted a ton of paper so far, cant seem to get my scale right, I've read the tutorial on here already for it, math is easy enough, but still not coming out right for me with the pep file im using. My first one that I made was one of flysquirel's pep files, Im horrible at scaling however it turned out perfect!, My pc took a crap and died and I lost the pep file tho. (cant seem to find on here or the armor wiki)
I just scaled to A4 paper. and I used normal paper. Hope that helped you:)

Last edited by a moderator:
KySpartan said:

I heard somewhere that it should be between 250mm to 270mm in height for an adult (roughly 3/4" difference). I made one for my 8 year old daughter at 240mm high and it fits good. Just remember, 25.4mm equals 1 inch (or just 25mm=1" / 305mm=1').

Also, you could print and cut out a few pieces you think would best help you visualize what the helmet will look like finished. Once you think you have it, print out the rest. 188 pieces is a lot of work to find it's scaled wrong :)

I love flyingsquirl for his detail, but I also curse him for the same reason :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks very nice, compared to my helmet, ure visor looks alot better, Wider too. mine looks a little bit warped on the visor and a little bit on the top. But for the rest its ok :p. anywaykeep up the good work :)

That is the Helm I use for the Helmet you see in my sig and all my pics. Lots of bondo...and time. Leave the visor in. resin the outside, including the visor, before you fb the inside.
My Pep Timeline
Here is a link that might help you out.

Jedi Stumpy's right. Definately leave the visor in until you've finished resining/fiberglassing the entire helmet. That'll help it keep the correct shape, and avoid any unwanted drooping or warping.

I have to say, it's nice to see someone else use the HALO 2 Pep file. I myself ended up using that one for my own Mk VI helmet build (pics of which can be seen in the "Mk VI Helmet WiP" link in my sig).

Of course, I went about mine a little differently than most. Instead of the standard resin/fiberglass approach, I applied a thick layer of sheet styrene to the base paper model, and worked from there. Still a bit of a ways to go on it (either haven't had the time or the proper work space to do anything more with it), but it's getting there.

Because the HALO 2 version lacks any of the surface details, once I had the styrene outer "skin" in place I put in the recessed areas and everything else.

Very time consuming, but also very rewarding, knowing I added that all by hand. In case you're interested, I still have the templates for the details I worked into the base model, so if you like I could e-mail you a set of those with the corresponding measurements (to make sure you print them out at the correct size when you apply them to yours).

Yours is looking like it's off to a good start, dude. Keep it up! ;)

EDIT: I just noticed... I posted this at 1:17PM, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back