My First Helmet

Status
Not open for further replies.

joel1987

Hi my name is Joel and I hate bondo.

06-02-08_1543.jpg

06-02-08_1541.jpg

06-02-08_1542.jpg

Hello Joel, and it does look a little... rough. Could you give a little more info though? What model did you use, did you use Bondo brand body filler, did you apply it thick or thin, etc.

I used the h2 pepakura model. I used regular paper not card stock. I fiberglassed the outside then applied thick bondo I guess. The resin and bondo I used is the one with the mustang. Then I sprayed a primer just out of curiosity.
p.s. How do i get to put a pic on the left of my name?

joel1987 said:
  1. *Edited for answering*
  2. I used the h2 pepakura model.
  3. I used regular paper not card stock.
  4. I fiberglassed the outside then applied thick bondo I guess.
  5. The resin and bondo I used is the one with the mustang.
  6. Then I sprayed a primer just out of curiosity.
  7. How do i get to put a pic on the left of my name?
  1. If I were you, I'd redo it with at least the Halo 3 models.
  2. Always use cardstock. I can't believe you were actually able to get that far with normal paper.
  3. It's better to apply thinner layers, rather than one thick one.
  4. That's the Bondo brand.
  5. Primer can really help point out defects when you're finishing, and helps when you do the final paintjob.
  6. Click Here (or click "My Controls at the top of the screen), then go to "Edit Avatar Settings" and upload an image.

Last edited by a moderator:
Robogenisis said:
  2. Always use cardstock. I can't believe you were actually able to get that far with normal paper.
  5. Primer can really help point out defects when you're finishing, and helps when you do the final paintjob.
  6. Click Here (or click "My Controls at the top of the screen), then go to "Edit Avatar Settings" and upload an image.

Beat me to it... Just to add one thing, READ THE STICKIES.

-Fin(n)ish

thanks for the help. I will try thin layers next time.
but I was hoping I wouldn't have to restart the project. I was hoping I could maybe modify it with bondo to make it an h3 helmet.

dood it looks ok you just need to sand it down and wow you used regular paper thats amazing that it didn't like sag or deform i all ways use cardstock when i do pep try spraying it with truck bed liner after the pep is done next time you can get it at walmart or auto zone for like 8 bucks good job though looks good keep it up

STOP!

don't restart just yet.

Mark off the areas that you think need to be more smooth or just lower. Sand these areas like hell 'till they get how you want.

with that much bondo, you have room to add in some detail

Oh! and an electric sander will do you wonders. Just get a couple sheets of sandpaper for it

My friend came over and smooth and detailed the helmet for me. here are the pics.
And I also bought a new dremel tool which made the process a whole lot easier and faster.

Robogenisis said:

I forgot to mention I used bondo repair kit (thats what it said on the front.

Well I did the other side with my new dremel tool, and it turns out I was using the wrong type of bondo. The stuff I was using was really thick. Here are a few pics of me wearing it, but I still need to smooth it out some more and fix some edges. And thanks for the comments guys. Oh and "halofan111", I found the truck bed liner spray in walmart for $7, thanks. I also found the cardstock paper but it was too expensive (25 sheets for $4) so I'm just going to stick with regular paper for the rest of my armor.
[attachment=4713:06_05_08_0522.jpg]
[attachment=4714:06_05_08_0523.jpg]
[attachment=4715:06_05_08_0524.jpg]

Wow! That's lookin really good. You did an awesome job dremeling all the details out. Good luck with the rest!

P.S. $4 for 25, that's pretty crazy. Walmart has it here for 250 for $13.

You might try looking in another section of your Wal-Mart.
Mine had the 25/$4 in the scrapbooking section and also
the 150/$5 in the notebook and school section.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back