My New Odst Helmet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Indigo Cow

Jr Member
For those of you whom have seen me you may have seen one of my ODST helmets that was very bad well I took everyone's criticism and started to make a new one, this time with 110 lb paper, I used a pen and drew a line to fold edges, and I cut it out more accurately(It also took less time too) Here is was i have made.

[attachment=10545:p7180020.JPG][attachment=10546:p7180021.JPG][attachment=10547:p7180022.JPG]

I have some Questions though, How will I remove the visor will I fiberglass some then cut it out or cut it out then fiberglass, please comment thanks

Heres my old helmet

[attachment=10548:p7110017.JPG]

Very nice improvement!

I think it's good to atleast do 2 coats of resin on the outside, then remove the visor, you get alot less warpage that way.

Hey I just got a mask for when I resin could you tell me if it's ok also do I get fiberglass mat or fiberglass cloth, thanks

[attachment=10550:p7180028.JPG]

Indigo Cow said:
Hey I just got a mask for when I resin could you tell me if it's ok also do I get fiberglass mat or fiberglass cloth, thanks

[attachment=10550:p7180028.JPG]

thats a NO GO dont use that, thats for fine dust. you need a mask for toxic fumes.

Last edited by a moderator:
rundown said:
thats a NO GO dont use that, thats for fine dust. you need a mask for toxic fumes.

My dad says that it is fine,because it says fiberglass respirator and he also doesn't want to spend 40 dollars on a big fancy respirator could you point out why I can't use it and what is a mask I can use for not much money

Indigo Cow said:
My dad says that it is fine,because it says fiberglass respirator and he also doesn't want to spend 40 dollars on a big fancy respirator could you point out why I can't use it and what is a mask I can use for not much money

when i fiberglass/resin i dont where reporator or anything i do it outside cuz the fumes dont hang around

use fiberglass matte its stronger then the cloth so u dont need to put 3layers of it on the inside

and for the visor,try not to get any resin or mat on it and use a xacto knife to cut it out and if u do get some resin on it use snips if u hav a pair

Indigo Cow said:

hey your right, although it just looks like a regular fine dust mask :S

First off, great improvement.

Now on to the important note.

I believe that when the mask you got says 'fiberglass respirator' it's referring to the little itty bits of fiberglass that can float through the air when you're working with it. Note it is also designed for woodworking and sanding, in other words it is a particle respirator.

The issue is not just the fine particles that arise from sanding and fine bits of fiberglass, it's the fumes from the fiberglass resin itself, which is very strong and can cause all sorts of problems such as brain damage down the line.

So while it may be fine for fiberglass by itself, you're going to be using resin, which you will need a respirator rated for organic vapors. That is why you can NOT simply use the mask you've selected.

Do not toy around with your health. Invest in a $30 mask at the MINIMUM. It will save your long term health. And I am guessing you are quite young. While this is a great hobby, any hobby also has its safety equipment.

Working outside in a well ventilated area is not enough. Every time you do so, you are gambling with your health.

$30 or serious health problems...$30 or serious health problems. A trip to the hospital will cost you more than $30.

Again, I can not stress this enough, get a decent respirator to protect from vapors.

I got a new respirator My dad was convinced that that one was good enough but when I showed him this he was swayed,this what we got

66554.gif

* Comes completely assembled with cartridges and filters

* P95 filtration grade

* Resists organic vapors

* NIOSH approved

I wasn't going to use that fine particle mask because it didn't feel safe and it wasn't rated well enough i just had to prove it to my dad , thanks guys for all your help, thanks

Indigo Cow said:
I got a new respirator My dad was convinced that that one was good enough but when I showed him this he was swayed,this what we got

* Comes completely assembled with cartridges and filters

* P95 filtration grade

* Resists organic vapors

* NIOSH approved

I wasn't going to use that fine particle mask because it didn't feel safe and it wasn't rated well enough i just had to prove it to my dad , thanks guys for all your help, thanks

much better!

There's a time to kill your brain cells, and it is called "college".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back