My Noob Entry - Ironman Helmet

Status
Not open for further replies.

groone

Hi everyone! I'm glad I found this place. Lots of very creative people on this forum, and a ton of fantastic work. I am in awe of you guys.

I was sick yesterday, so I decided to take up a new hobby. I did some searching across the web and I saw some cool halo costumes and I was curious how they made them. I learned about pepakura and papercraft, and I then found a pepakura ironman model and downloaded it. I was hooked, so yesterday I put this together

ironman.jpg

I guess it isn't too bad for my first go - actually second attempt, the first failed with regular printer paper LOL I love the card stock now. I sized it to fit my son, and when all is done I have a few remote control actuators that I will be putting in it to raise the visor automatically. It fit's snug, so I'll be making the back of the helmet semi retractable so the head can slip in easily. I need to do some more reading across the forum because I'm not really sure what I need to do next, but I think it includes resin of some sort.

I have a few noob questions:

1. what is the preferred way of sticking the pieces together? I used tape.

2. does anyone have any links to fantasy armour?

Usually people use some form of glue to put the pep together. I personally use a combination of a glue stick and hot glue depending on how certain folds are connected.

If you use tape, Im pretty sure that if you ever went to harden the paper with the resin it will eat away at the tape and the model will just fall apart.

The stickies in the forums will have answers on what to do next and there are even some great tutorials in the video section. Welcome to the forums and have fun!!

Take some time to look through the stickies here. There are pages and pages on how people put together their pepakura and you'll learn all the steps to making your armor look really nice. You'll also find any kind of armor if you search for it. Be sure to read the stickies in the Noob, Pepakura, and the Creation Forum!

Thanks for the replies. I've been doing nothing but reading the forums and watching videos all morning - basically ignoring work LOL. I've learned a lot and I'll try not to be a thorn in anyones side during this noob stage of my life. I watched the new recruit orientation video. This place has so much information. There are some really incredible people here and I will aspire to be as good as them some day.

I will start my project over since I am now a little more educated than I was when I initially posted...I thought I could just remove the tape but it would be quicker to just start over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back