My Star Wars Battle Front Darktrooper Helmet!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tubachris85x

Well, I thought I would share this in this forum since its been pretty big on the use of pepakura. Its technically my 2nd, because when I was at my parents on break, I was booooooored to death, and only had regular printing paper and a massive roll of duct tape. Needless to say, I had made that in about 2 days, and by far uglier then my vac-forming machine, so I'll save you the pictures. Besides, it was the first time I had ever tried this pep construction, and just wanted to give it a shot. But before you, is my better, much improved version 2. I will be fiberglassing this, as well as filling with expanding foam (carefully of course!) and then adding chavant clay, sculpt some details, and then mold it!

The pep model was taken directly from the actual game's 3d model of the Darktrooper

darktrooperpep001.jpg

darktrooperpep002.jpg

darktrooperpep003.jpg

darktrooperpep005.jpg

BTW, in the top two pics, if you didnt notice, its actually sitting over the MR clone helmet...

Enjoy

-tubachris

tenacioust183 said:
very nice, did you make the clone trooper helmet too?

Oh no, LOL, the clone helmet is from Master Replicas. My GF got me it for christmas last year!

Last edited by a moderator:
colmon_9 said:
Do you have(or can extract) a clone trooper?

Sorry, but I do not have the clonetrooper or am I able to extract the models

colmon_9 said:
Then where did you get the file?

A member on "thedentedhelmet.com" was able to convert the file I had sent him into the pepakura format. He didnt extract anything nor did I from the game.

Its been awhile since I posted this, but I wanted to show some of my progress with this. I know most here use bondo and the like to smooth out pep models. Well, for this one, Im taking it a bit further, and using clay, since this requires alot of smoothing and details, which I am hopefully going to mold and make one piece castings. Here it is as of right now. Since posted above, I've fiberglassed it, and filled with some expanding foam (caused some serious issues, which I fixed lol) And now have it on an armature I built.

001-60.jpg

002-48.jpg

003-42.jpg

-TC

Hey chris, glad that little mini tutorial I gave you in PM's came to life. I'm pleased, looks great. Keep up the good work.

Cheers,
Kensai

kensai111 said:
Hey chris, glad that little mini tutorial I gave you in PM's came to life. I'm pleased, looks great. Keep up the good work.

Cheers,
Kensai

Yes, thank you very much for your help! Ive so far been able to construct the chest and back piece. Gotta make another Jetpack though, my near completed scratchbuilt one is too small :wtc:

Anyways, Im surprised at myself, it's turning out better then I thought it would lol. I'll post new pics later, Im adding some more details at the moment

-TC

Some more progress on the sculpt. Man, I tell ya, once I started today, I just lost track of time! lol

Im using my FX faceplate as a reference for how it *should* look. I gave one side the correct depth, that is present on TK helmets. I also started to shape up the mouth or "grin" as well. These pics are at certain angles to show you those details.

I also found a somewhat good smoothing technique, using a flat piece of styrene plastic..however, its very difficult lol You can see, I used it for the newer sections, and I feel that I will leave those smooth sections alone unitl molding.

004-31.jpg

003-43.jpg

005-25.jpg

-TC

That smoothing is coming along nicely man. Keep us updated. Has there been many other Dark Troopers made? Can't say I recall seeing one before...

Cheers,
Kensai

kensai111 said:
That smoothing is coming along nicely man. Keep us updated. Has there been many other Dark Troopers made? Can't say I recall seeing one before...

Cheers,
Kensai

None that I am currently aware of. I saw a pic of someone who did the upper half of an original darktrooper, and wore that at some event in like '97 or '98, however, I was told that was made of plaster or paper mache, I cant recall. Unless someone is hiding under a rock somewhere building this, then I dont know lol. All I know is that when I finish (hopefully :lol: ) I'll be the first Darktrooper (Battlefront version) as well as the first to actually apply for 501st membership with it.

lol I am actually starting the application process for the Darktrooper to even get approved by the 501st, so they had me make up a CRL, basically an extremely detailed list and layout of the entire suit and what each piece should have; all the requirements to make it an "official quality" darktrooper suit. LOL However, I am still waiting for the Special Ops. detachment to approve the list

Just a little history lesson for everyone. I'm not correcting anyone on their knowledge of the games, but I would just like ya'll to know that the Dark Troopers were not introduced in Battlefront. They were introduced in 1995 [I think] In Star Wars: Dark Forces. Possibly the first Star Wars computer and console game ever. I used to play it all the time when I was little. It would scare the crap outta me. Still does to this day. If you would like any more knowledge of this game, go ahead and ask me.

Friendly said:
Just a little history lesson for everyone. I'm not correcting anyone on their knowledge of the games, but I would just like ya'll to know that the Dark Troopers were not introduced in Battlefront. They were introduced in 1995 [I think] In Star Wars: Dark Forces. Possibly the first Star Wars computer and console game ever. I used to play it all the time when I was little. It would scare the crap outta me. Still does to this day. If you would like any more knowledge of this game, go ahead and ask me.

Yes, I didnt think about adding the history of it. I am fully aware that I am not doing the *true* original. The primary reason is really the lack of decent reference. I started this project about 2-2 1/2 years ago, and was just using what I had at the time. I too remember playing the game on my old mac when I was little, lol, yes, that used to scare me too.

However, now, I have not only one, but 3 darktrooper figures, 2 gold coin 30th aniv., one original kenner loose. It's actually my next major project to do the original, but I will have to rely on the figures as a reference.

RadioactiV777, that's not a darktrooper, that would be a stealth/"blackhole" trooper.

This is the figure, of the most commonly known DT, the phase three, in which General Mohc wears as a suit to fight Katarn:

TACSLdarktrooper2.jpg

Did a bit more accurizing work. Primarily on the eye's and the nose portion. The way it was previously, the rim around the eyes were too thin. So I went back, and widened it up a bit more, and I feel it is much more accurate and overall looks better then before.

The second part was the nose. Was just too thick the way I made it originally. The side profile of the helmet shows the nose is flush with the grin/frown. I am doing a sort of cross between that and a "real world," so there has to be some kind of seperation. So I cut off chunks of clay there, as well as the sides, to help give that depressed look thats prominant in TK helmets. Hard to explain, but lol thats what I mean.

001-62.jpg

003-44.jpg

As you can see, Ive started the right side, really, I worked both eyes tonight, and I feel that they look pretty symetrical. The rest though, well, in good time.

-TC

Thanks guys!

More work done tonight. Ive decided to try and do my best to make it symetrical. So, this meant that I had to make the right side much thicker, as far as the clay. I think it's actually looking pretty good. Cleaned up and got around to making the frown more defined and finished off the ends of them.

Unfortunatly, I am comming across an issue which I was afraid of initially-at the very edge, where the clay has nothing to hold onto but the paper base, it's starting to detach itself and will hang off. Not sure what Im going to do about that yet, but it's not incredibly serious at the moment.

004-32.jpg

002-50.jpg

003-45.jpg

001-63.jpg

-TC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back