My Torso Armor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I changed the margins for the paper to the lowest setting (I think its 5mm). Then just make sure you zoom in to verify that it fits (sometimes it might be in the margin and if you dont zoom in you wont be able to tell).

most HP printers these days, print all the way to the edge of the paper. Check your local print settings.

Awesome job dude.

Yeah some of the bits are a bit tight to the edge. Some of the bits were arranged creatively. That's where the main work is, just arranging the things so they all fit on the minimum amount of paper.

I assembled mine with copydex. It's a water based latex adhesive. If it all goes horribly wrong you just gently peel it off and start again. But once it's dry it's pretty strong.

Helmet is finished (well, as far as putting paper together):

Front:
Helmet001.jpg

Front / Side:
Helmet002.jpg

Side:
Helmet003.jpg

Back / Side:
Helmet004.jpg

Back:
Helmet005.jpg

Bottom:
Helmet006.jpg

Yes, I photoshopped in a visor (I couldn't help myself):
Helmet007.jpg

Overall this thing was a MAJOR pain in the butt to assemble. Took about 8 hours all together. I was very insistant on not putting ANY tape on the outside. I will have to glue a few parts down tomorrow as a result, but overall I'm quite happy with it (aside from the fact that I can barely get the bottom over my ears. I will have to cut out some of the bottom pattern just to make it easy to fit.

Thats looks absolutely fantastic!

kinda makes what i am doin seem obsolete

Don't worry. There will always be a place for scratch built armor. Keep in mind that the game model patterns are so authentic to the character model as to be copyright protected... thusly they can't be reproduced without some serious legal risk. I'm sure that one or two for yourself is fine, but if any manufacturers got into these they'd be setting themselves up for legal trouble.

This pepakura stuff always surprises me because there are some missing details that apparently are added in to the texture maps only. How will you guys handle these minor discrepancies?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm taking care of that on my Mk V helmet by making it out of paper and then sculpting in the finer stuff and using resin and cardboard to fix in in place. Especially when working with the H1 models, I really don't want to see the giant individual polygons so it's best to force it to look more smooth like the official pics and ingame textured look.

Plus it's no fun without a little artistry to it, right?
:mrgreen:

Sean Bradley said:
This pepakura stuff always surprises me because there are some missing details that apparently are added in to the texture maps only. How will you guys handle these minor discrepancies?

That's what I was trying to say on the other thread. This will only get you a plain, undetailed armour.

Im thinging of using mine to make a plaster positive that I can Dremel details into. Then use the positive as a master form.

Frizzlefry said:
Back / Side:

Overall this thing was a MAJOR pain in the butt to assemble. Took about 8 hours all together. I was very insistant on not putting ANY tape on the outside. I will have to glue a few parts down tomorrow as a result, but overall I'm quite happy with it (aside from the fact that I can barely get the bottom over my ears. I will have to cut out some of the bottom pattern just to make it easy to fit.

Cant the scale be adjusted? or is it set via the entire model? I have just as of last night purchased the Reg code for pepakura, but havent been able to trinker with it as of yet much. I was able to turn a whole helmet lines red, but was lost after that.

Just curious.

DM

you could do that before too, only thing you couldn't do was save your progress...

It's not the scale that's the problem. The helmet overall is about perfect scale. I just can't fit my big ole ears into the bottom because I think a lot of the paper used for the bottom on the 3d model is probably "open space" where they used a black texture or something to simulate that, since they didn't actually make the helmet individually.

Can the scale be adjusted in pepakura? Or does it have to be set in the 3d application first? Then how do you extract the individual items from the main 3d model? I was looking at how to adjust each piece to be correct for the differences between a say 5'6" person VS a 6'+ person.

And aside from all these questions is there a darn manual for this program I can study?

LOL

Darth-Malevelus said:
Can the scale be adjusted in pepakura? Or does it have to be set in the 3d application first? Then how do you extract the individual items from the main 3d model? I was looking at how to adjust each piece to be correct for the differences between a say 5'6" person VS a 6'+ person.

And aside from all these questions is there a darn manual for this program I can study?

LOL

You can change the scale by unfolding the model then using the scale to specific value option in the 2d window settings.

I just used a 10 scale for my MK V to get the assembled measurements to roughly match my other helmets.

There's sort of a manual in help but just checking out the dropdown options and lots of right-clicking gets you most of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back