Nasa Found Water On The Mooonnnnnn!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arithen

FINALLY! WOOOOOO! We have found water on the moon!

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn18155-impact-reveals-lunar-water-by-the-bucketful.html

Lunar material kicked up by the LCROSS mission contained at least a few bucketfuls of water, NASA announced on Friday. The discovery bolsters the case for significant amounts of water at the moon's poles, a potential resource for human explorers.

"I'm here today to tell you that indeed, yes, we found water. We didn't find just a little bit. We found a significant amount," LCROSS principal investigator Anthony Colaprete of NASA's Ames Research Center in Moffett Field, California told reporters on Friday.

"Whalers on the moon"

Haha, that is pretty cool to know that there is actually stuff up there.

Who known, maybe one day we could colonize the moon?

Possibly if we discover more water on the moon (about a good-sized lakes worth), humans without fresh water will be able to have it? Or we could colonize the moon in a few hundred years. I sence the Halo Universe is comming true...

Actually, one article (i didnt list) mentioned that too. that it will be easier for people to colonize the moon, and is an extra fuel ingredient.

I doubt it would take 100 years though. With the technological advancements we have, and the commercial space flights almost in action, it should take less than 50 years to colonize a small portion of the moon. whether it be scientists or communities.

The best thing i find about this discovery is that the chances of bacteria being within that water are HUGE within the next 5 years if nasa decides to send a small rover there i bet 100% that there will be some form of organic within it.

Xtreme TACTICS 101 said:
Possibly if we discover more water on the moon (about a good-sized lakes worth), humans without fresh water will be able to have it? Or we could colonize the moon in a few hundred years. I sence the Halo Universe is comming true...

I wonder if someone can make a Mark VI suit that can help you survive in space! :eek

Last edited by a moderator:
Spartan-343 said:
"Whalers on the moon"

Haha, that is pretty cool to know that there is actually stuff up there.

Who known, maybe one day we could colonize the moon?

japan.jpg

OH! F*@K You whale F*@k you Dolphin!

sorry reminded me of it.

But yeah, this is great news since it's sparked interest in colonizing the moon again.

Do people actually believe that people will live on the moon one day?

That's hilarious!

It's great that they've found water but colonization isn't the best of ideas.

The moon got all those craters by blocking objects that would hit earth.

Why would anyone want to live on the striking side of a shield? lol

Wtfmfkr said:
It's great that they've found water but colonization isn't the best of ideas.

The moon got all those craters by blocking objects that would hit earth.

Why would anyone want to live on the striking side of a shield? lol

Yes, but it's extremely unlikely that one would actually hit the colony. those craters are an acumulation of hundreds of thousands to millions of years. If they did though, i can imaging it being underground with lot's of solar panels just above it.

Yeah, I just heard of this, but I can't imagine people colonizing the moon... I can imagine science laboratories and resorts, but not permanent colonies... I just have problems with how little gravity is up there, for it makes coming back to earth a bit harder...

Cheers!

very true, they would have to make some kind of thing that made gravity. lol, maybe heavy cloths? otherwise everyone would HAVE to work out all the time or they would be so week when they came back.

If people lived on the moon for several years, they wouldn't be able to come back to Earth. They'd have horribly weak bones and be crushed.

What the scientists need to do is create a ring world. :D

Yes colonizing the moon is farfetched, because water is one of many neccesary things for life. We would need water,gravity,and good ole' air among other things. A massive spinning ringworld, spinning at the right velocity that would work like one of those gravity rides would make us one step closer to ultimant space station halo death star thing. The water from the moon would be good to mine for extra water on the spacestation. And Ghost147 is right the moon has acululated those craters over a very long period of time... like before multiple celled organisms I would guess.

Queen said:
If people lived on the moon for several years, they wouldn't be able to come back to Earth. They'd have horribly weak bones and be crushed.

screw the scientists, we can do it, lets get everyone working and pep a life size ring world, lol, jk

Queen said:

lol, yeah that would be....... ring world? That would be madness though? Wait no it wouldn't be madness, it cant be madness, this is such madness! NO, THIS IS RINGWORLD!!!!!!!! *gets kicked by the unfortunatly chosen greeter of the moon ringworld, Gerard Butler. But that would be sick!

If we were to make a ringworld, some douchebag with kick ass armor would just try to blow it up... :(

So long as there is a constant supply train to and from the moon, then the only problem really is gravity because you can't ship gravity. So, as was said, big ring worlds or find another way to artificially generate gravity without using centrifugal force.

Getting supplies too and from the moon would be too costly and inefficient at this stage of our space programs evolution. But if we can ever get an orbital elevator built (which they're mulling with right now) then hey... who knows~ we might see the first lunar colony in our lifetime.

Regardless, I'm not too amped about water on the moon. There's water all over the place in the form of leftovers from comet impacts and whatnot. I think our focus right now is to get a human on the surface of Mars. But there are a lot of smart people working on all kinds of wild stuff so anything is possible.

If the last age of colonization is a guide to human's future endevours in space, the key to colonizing the moon isn't water, it's money. Colonizing the moon has to be profitable for those involved, or it simply won't happen. Once we find the equivalent of tobacco or Incan gold on the moon, then having water there will be useful, but it's not a key factor.

I have a strange feeling that colonizing such a small body could affect it's course nagatively.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back