Need A Veterans Opinion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tylkon

Jr Member
So I've been wanting to do participate in a fundraiser for the last couple of years, but due to lack of time haven't been able. I am debating doing it this year, but of course, who wants to be boring?

I was thinking of participating in the event in a suit of Mark VI armor I am working on.

Ordinarily, this would not give ma pause, but here is a description of the event.

http://www.pikespeakchallenge.com/index.php?page=hike_details (For those who don't want to look, a 6 hour hike to the top of Pikes Peak Colorado)

Would this just be stupid of me to attempt? I ask for veterans opinions, as you folks have all worn your armor for several hours at cons and I don't want to put myself in a bad situation (on a mountain, no less). Armor permutations that could help, or modifications made in advance that might make it easier? I kind of want to hear what you people think before I commit.

Thanks in advance.

I think it wouldnt be OK, to wear your armor IF you wear a helmet and IF your armor is heavy, because it will prevent you from jumping, running, walking etc...

It also depends on the terrain I checked out the the site and it looks like mostly its rock, so If you still want to try I would reccomend a pair of athletic shoes, under your armor ( It wont look good, but thats the price you have to pay if you want to be safe), DO NOT use sweat pants or sweatshirts if its a hot day, because you will melt in your armor, DO NOT use a helmet (That will block some of your sight), and secure your armor with straps (You dont want your armor falling down in the rocks)

To keep it simple if you want to wear a complete set of armor (Good undersuit and all of the pieces) It will be dangerous but you would look good, and If you do what I said (Shorts, running shoes, etc..) you would look foolish but you would be safe,

So its your choice

I say no I have done a lot of mountain hiking and climbing and if you are wearing somethign like a MC helmet with a Visor een though the visor is pretty wide you still can't see everything in front of you and you might take a stumble breaking more than just your armor.

I'd have to go with everyone else on this, six hours of hiking would probably be a bit much and a bit of a risk. I've done longer at one point (15 hours over two days, nine the first and another six or so the next) but that was mostly indoors and not terribly hot. By the end I was shattered and had some decent damage on the suit.

If anything I would think of something more like a Marine or ODST but even then I think you'd be looking at having problems with dehydration and exhaustion.

So far the general thought seems to be this is...a very bad idea.

That's kind of what I was thinking, but I needed to know for sure. Thanks everyone who posted.

You know you might be able to come up with your own Halo inspired PT gear, like the Army. That way you can be comfortable and still represent!

I would agree, don't do it. Armor is heavy, cumbersome, and tends to rub if you move around too much in it. Hiking for 6 hours will probably give you a couple manageable blisters from your boots; now imagine what armor will do. It's certainly doable, but expect to be "in the suck" while you're doing it.

chwbcc said:
You know you might be able to come up with your own Halo inspired PT gear, like the Army. That way you can be comfortable and still represent!

You know, in the ODST trailer vid, they do show what the PT gear looks like, so that's not a bad idea at all.

54021441v12_480x480_Front_Color-AshGrey.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back