Need Help Attaching Armor to the Midriff/Stomach

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phauxelate

Member DIN
S554
So! I've made my first suit time rushed late October, and had to save time on a few things. Here are a couple photos of it as of what it is right now:
IMG_06821.jpg received_307978790039448.jpeg

I'm remaking a whole new improved pelvis armor, along with something to put on my midriff to make it not look so empty with just a black under suit. After many hours, I have the first two parts cut and glued together (unpainted):
IMG_20181209_161221.jpg

The top part is the thing that will go on the upper stomach, below the chest piece. The bottom piece is the part that will cover the privates and lower stomach.

The only issue I have is securing it so it won't just flap freely or plainly fall off, as I don't want to attach it directly to the under suit. I have nylon strap that I could loop around my lower chest to hold it up, and someone before said something about a waist trainer. What other options are there?

Without attaching to your undersuit, I don't know how to help you out, sorry. That's the only way I can think of. Otherwise it'll mess with the looks and mobility.

My best option for you is attach the mid section to your chest piece securely, reenforce the crap out of it or use two short straps to attach the abdomen/cod piece to the chest so that it has some sway room if you want (length is up to you) and use a longer strap to go around your waist and have a buckle to snap it in. Now I’m just going off what you have here so if you could do me a favor and post a few pics of the back of the armor and the seat so I have a better idea of what we’re working with that’d be great.

Remember, you have all this negative space in the front that you want to cover but don’t forget the back, when your at a con people will see your back a lot so you don’t want to leave that undone.

stretchy webbing velcro'd to your chest and cod/belt could work. maybe with another piece of webbing (stretch or not) around your waist with a parachute clip. no matter what it will mess with some mobility but the stretchy webbing will give a bit.

EDIT: dang MajWood you got here right before me!

electricknite: Ha, great minds think alike

but hey Foxeler, also to help with those thigh pieces from sliding you might also add a strap from the front and back of each to your cod/seat pieces too since your already there and working on it. Not super short but long enough that it can still slide half an inch or so. That way you can walk about without stressing the areas

The only thing about adding all this stuff strapped together it that it will also add to the pull at whatever it at the top so just keep that in mind.

God love the person who invented parachute clips.

to help with those thigh pieces from sliding you might also add a strap
Well, I have a belt that I did attach the thighs to, but I only did one side because I didn't have enough velcro. I also believe I improperly measured the length needed for the velcro.

Remember, you have all this negative space in the front that you want to cover but don’t forget the back
I've thought about that a little as well. I've ordered some motorcycle armor/protection that has a sort of exoskeleton like think running along the spine/back. I assume that would be to protect it in the event of an accident? Either way, I thought it would look pretty cool as a filler for the back side. Here's an image of the back:
s-l500.jpg
I believe I can remove the elbow, shoulder, and the chest stuff one way or another. The only worry I have is that the fabric of the shirt might not be a completely black color (it looks slightly grey). In that case the spine thing is removable and I'll find a way to secure it to my under suit.

As for the midriff.... I could attach the top of it to the front chest half and have some hidden parachute buckles to allow it to pop off. Then on the front part in the image above, I could run some velcro under the thigh, attaching it to the front of the pelvis part to do 2 things: stop the thighs from sliding down, and to keep the front pelvis thing to not flop around like a dead fish.

Yeah, post a pic when you get it’s finished up (and even a few in between so we can see your progress).

Everything is all said, done, and made. It's just not painted at all (but it is sealed). When I get done with my classes in 3 or so hours, I'll try to post some pictures of how everything looks. Maybe then we can get more of an idea of how I can attach it.

My thoughts on it though, is that I could attach the midriff part right onto the front chest piece with parachute clips so it's removable. Then, I'm thinking about securing some nylon strap to the C.O.D. to hold it up and not fall or flop around. I will then attach the C.O.D. to my belt system to keep it level. Then the thighs will also attach to the COD to hold it in place, so it doesn't rotate.

I could also draw up a diagram or something after my classes so I can better describe what I'm trying to describe.

Does this all sound like a plan?

Welp, it's all painted and stuff but I'm thinking I should add a back trim to the after photo pieces to make the green pop out more. Anyone else's thoughts on that before I start to glue the nylon strap to it?

Before:
20181212_160851.jpg
After:
20181212_213702.jpg

like a wearing a bookbag backwards.

I'm.... Not entirely sure what you mean by that

Edit: OH. Bookbag as in......... A backpack? ^_^

And by build, you mean building it onto the backpack as if it was my chest/stomach rather than trying to free-hand it in front of a mirror, correct?

Also, as for the black trim, I want to know from someone else's point of view. I also have a buddy that will be helping me attach the straps to my pelvis soon (no homo), so I could also get his opinion on the matter as well.

Last edited:
Looks great man!

As to securing it, totally up to you. Everything you said sounds good
Just keep it as simple as possible so that you feel comfortable getting into and wearing the suit.

And as for the trim, yeah it would look pretty good with some on it. It pops pretty well as is too if you want to leave it that way

Real quick update: I did decide to add the black trim. I think it looks better. Trying to decide whether to add it to the side pieces on the top though... feel like I might, but I'm not sure
20181213_230746.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back