New Materials

Status
Not open for further replies.

The firePhoenix

Something I would like to ask and this seems the place to ask it. What do you guys think on sintra board? I've been looking at this stuff and I think this could be something to make a one time armor suit out of. The only problem with it seems to be it needs to be taken to a mill and ran through a CNC or cut with a jig saw, and on top of that then you'd need the files to do it. Think this might be a good direction to go? or do you have ideas for other materials?

I'm pretty sure Sean Bradley made his suit out of sintra, then reinforced the back with fiberglass for strength.

So, yes, it's a good material to use. It's better for plate armor (Such as the Fetts from Star Wars), but with patience, there's no reason why it couldn't be used. I believe it can also be heated and given curves, though I'm not positive on that account.

I've heard of that stuff too, but I don't know how easy it would be for me to work with since I have limited resources and cost is another thing that I am concerned with since I don't have a whole lot of money. I wouldn't even know where to find that stuff at.

You can order it from many sites, but, to get the good deals you'd need to find someone around you who sales it in 8ft by 11ft sheet. and that will run abut 85 dollars.

I saw something pretty awesome tonight! I found this material called Composimold, I think it may have some potential for use. What it has going for it is that it is 100% reusable. So even if you have a mold not come out right its ok, just heat it up and try again. Has anyone use this stuff before. Because I think this stuff might be to good to be true.

I've used Sintra Board a lot and it's easy to work with but if you expose it to a lot of heat it will emit fumes. When you do it you can cut it into a smaller piece then stick it in the oven and keep an eye on it when it is bendable then you can pull it out and if you have your template traced onto it cut it out with a exacto knife and take your time you will probably have to stick it back in the oven to cut the template fully cut out and shaped the way you want it when I cut my Fett templates out of the board I had to heat it up at least two times to cut out each part and form it to work right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back