New recruit here, with his first question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright it's been awhile. I'm on my first sanding now, and I am having a problem currently. After the fiberglass strips had dried, I tried putting the helmet on, and it seems to have shrunk to the point where my head cannot go inside it. I remember it fitting perfectly when it was just the pep cutout. Is there anything I can do to fix this?

It depends. Can your head fit in the helmet once it's in. Or is the neck hole too small to get your head in to begin with. A option is to Dremel/cut some of the neck hole to get in it

When it was the pep cutout yes it did. The neck hole is too small, and I do not have a dremel on me right now. Is there any other tools that I can use?

Sadly because it's fiberglass it's strong af. You're gonna need a Dremel or rotor tool with a cutting wheel attachment.

I bought a cheap $25 one from Walmart for mine when I had to cut the visor out

After 2 layers (at least, that's what I did). Make sure they are fiberglass resined. After that I did rondo on the inside. Use half fiberglass resin, half Bondo. (Look it up on YouTube) and just slushed and brushed it around on the inside. After that I just sanded down all the sharp edges with a Dremel so I wouldn't cut myself.

Last edited:
Couple questions:
- Do I apply the bondo before or after cutting the visor template?
- If before, do I put it onto the template?
- How much hardener do I put on the putty?
1. If you are using the visor for vaccum forming then You would cut it out after bondoing. If you plan on making your own visor with plastic or seperately made, cut it out before bondoing. (this is what I did, you can check my build thread if you are curious).
2. I ended up using the paper template to just create the visor so idk how to answer that.
3. For a golf ball or biggerish sized glob you want to use a pea sized blob of hardener.

Update pics #3
I applied the Bondo putty and sanded it til it looks smooth
IMG_0300[1].JPG

IMG_0296[1].JPG
IMG_0299[1].JPG
IMG_0297[1].JPG

As always, please let me know if I made any mistakes and if there is anything that I could do to improve.

It's up to you. You can be satisfied where it is at now, or you can keep going and add mode bondo and sculpt/sand it till it is smooth. Then fill in all the pin holes and small imperfections to get it as good as possible. It all depends on desire and drive, and I know sanding bondo sucks. Just work in small sections and keep going! You have made really good progress so far!

Hello! I have just joined this community and I am planning to make my very first set of Halo armor, more specifically the Halo 3 Mjolnir MK VI variant. Now this is my very first time working on a huge project like this, but I have done some research before going into this. I don't know if this is the right forum to post this thread, but my first question regards the 405th armory files. I have the Pepakura Designer installed but I don't know how to import the files from the armory into the program. The files I am going to use are the Halo 3 MJOLNIR MK VI Ultra High Definition ones.
Welcome! This is a great community that are super friendly and helpful, you've come to the right place! Best wishes!

For painting I plan on using spray paint, so is it best if I spray paint the helmet before or after putting the visor?
If you fiberglassed and bondod the whole thing, along with sanding. It is time to take the visor out before painting.
Use a dremel, for both cutting it out and then sanding down the edges of where you cut it out.

I borrowed a dremel and cut the visor out
View attachment 284566
I'm a bit lost on where to find a visor that wouldn't require a lot of tools, any ideas?
Here you go my dude
Maybe buy 2 icon props visor sheets for this. Or something else idk, but follow this tutorial :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back