New Recruit - How should I start building my armor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toasterblast

Hi, I just signed up for this site. I've wanted to make some Halo armor, particularly my MP armor from MCC Halo 3. It's the ODST\COMM helmet, ODST\DEMO chest and legs, ODST\TAC forearms, EOD shoulders, GEN1 undersuit, yellow visor, and the Demolitions back accessory. I really don't know what to do to get started. I had tried to make a MK 6 (I think that's the version Master Chief uses in Halo 3, right?) helmet by ripping the model from Halo 3 using Reclaimer and cleaning it up in Blender, but game models are gross to work with and I'm very unskilled at using Blender. I'm assuming there are pre-made models out there that will look a lot better than what I'd be able to put together in Blender, so how the heck do I get my hands on these and start making? I own a 3D printer, and my dad's actually getting a CNC machine soon. I've heard about this EVA foam or whatever it is, should I use that instead of 3D printing? I've attached a screenshot of my MP spartan below. Thanks a ton in advance.

I can do alt text? Neat. Hi!

Alright so the first thing you’re gonna want to do is decide what material you’re going to use. 3D printing has its benefits, but can be troublesome to put together and mount on the suit. Foam is an easier material to work with, but has its own challenges and a bit of a learning curve. I would also check our armory for the files you’ll need for your armor.
Overall the main thing when it comes to building armor is your mindset. Think of it like a giant 3D puzzle.

Hi, I just signed up for this site. I've wanted to make some Halo armor, particularly my MP armor from MCC Halo 3. It's the ODST\COMM helmet, ODST\DEMO chest and legs, ODST\TAC forearms, EOD shoulders, GEN1 undersuit, yellow visor, and the Demolitions back accessory. I really don't know what to do to get started. I had tried to make a MK 6 (I think that's the version Master Chief uses in Halo 3, right?) helmet by ripping the model from Halo 3 using Reclaimer and cleaning it up in Blender, but game models are gross to work with and I'm very unskilled at using Blender. I'm assuming there are pre-made models out there that will look a lot better than what I'd be able to put together in Blender, so how the heck do I get my hands on these and start making? I own a 3D printer, and my dad's actually getting a CNC machine soon. I've heard about this EVA foam or whatever it is, should I use that instead of 3D printing? I've attached a screenshot of my MP spartan below. Thanks a ton in advance.

View attachment 309073
The hardest part at this point is that all these armour pieces are relatively new to the game and I'm not sure that anyone has yet dedicated the time to modelling a simplified form for foam or a more detailed version for 3D printing. Game rips are great and all but their geometry is wacky and just a start for making something useful for costuming.

If you're willing to take on the work of modifying the files you have within Blender splitting bodies, adding creases and then solidifying to add material thickness is the most common approach. If you're a bit of a maniac, split the bodies, get a bunch of reference images from multiple angles and build everything from the ground up. It'll be a lot of work but completely worth it.

Overall I'd say a mixed materials build on this one would work the best for mobility. Foam on pieces like the legs and core and then printed components elsewhere for higher detail.

Yeah, I kind of figured that. The mix of foam and 3D printed stuff also makes sense. Oddly enough, the biggest problem with the MK 6 helmet was that it was almost modeled too well. It was almost right for printing, which made the little problems way bigger. Hopefully the ODST\COMM helmet is much less of a mess. Or I guess, more of a mess in the right ways.

well what kind of money you got? do you have a 3d printer? can you pay for eva foam? maybe pepping and resin might work? maybe cardboard(would not recommend)? does you armour have very intricate or simple pieces? it all depends on those factors. so I would really consider your options, I started with cardboard, then decided I did not like it, trashed that costume, tried peping, didn't like it, don't have a 3d printer and there to expensive so I couldn't do that, then I decided foam was my favourite

Thank you Toasterblaster for bringing it up, I'm standing in front of the same problem right now.

I tried to get some armor pieces I found online (made by MoeSizzlac) to get printed at an actual 3D printing company, but it is way to expensive (they said I had to spent up to 5 - 6000 € total). So I decided to begin with foam armor. But the mix that TurboCharizad mentioned sounds even better.

Cheers guys!

I built my first set of marine armour out of cardboard, then moved to foam for my first spartan armour.
A lot of people work with foam, you can buy EVA foam mats from wal-mart or other department stores in the form of floor puzzle mats.
Some craft stores like Michaels have started selling EVA foam sheets for cosplayers.
You can find other sources with a bit of googling too.
But if you own a 3d printer that is a good size experimenting with that doesn't hurt.

It really comes down to what you're most comfortable working with though.

I've gotten very frustrated with Blender, started playing more Reach, and realized my lack of modeling skills. I think I might ditch the whole H3 spartan idea as it's mostly new stuff and to be entirely honest, I'm not patient enough to create models. I think I'll be switching to my Reach spartan, I personally think it looks a bit better.

unknown.png
1631987199494.png

The image above on the left is an ideal version created when I had access to the Season 8 beta flight (you get all the season stuff free), and the image above on the right is what I currently have unlocked in actual MCC. I like it more than the other in a few aspects, and neither of them has a particularly good right shoulder piece (I'd like some suggestions actually, the CQC and Commando look really nice and I'm having trouble deciding).

(Below, CQC and Commando respectively.)
1631987478427.png
1631987490162.png

I'm assuming the models for most of Reach's armor are made already, so I hope to actually start printing today.
Thanks for all the help in the comments above, I'll probably use EVA foam on the legs and chest (or I could be lazy and 3D print it all).

Assumed wrong. Most of the models are there except for (ofc) the ODST helmet. Does anyone know where I could find a Reach ODST helmet or should I just try another?

The UA Grenadier looks pretty nice, I think I'll give it a shot. Sorry if this is considered spam, I'm kind of talking to myself.
1631988400996.png

(Also, being a grenadier is very much my playstyle. Haha self explosive damage go BOOM.)

Other than the attachments, I though the ODST helmet was the same as the Halo 3 model. I could be wrong though. Also I believe the armory has files for most, if not all helmet attachments that can be added after.

Last edited:
Other than the attachments, I though the ODST helmet was the same as the Halo 3 model. I could be wrong though. Also I believe the armory has files for most of not all helmet attachments that can be added after.
Ah, actually that does look about right. I'll check it out.
Edit: No models for the H3 Spartan ODST. Dang. I've begun to like the grenadier more and more though, I think I'll definitely do it.

Assumed wrong. Most of the models are there except for (ofc) the ODST helmet. Does anyone know where I could find a Reach ODST helmet or should I just try another?
Skookum Props has a Reach ODST helmet 3D model for sale (which as of the 11th anniversary weekend, is discounted)

Skookum Props has a Reach ODST helmet 3D model for sale (which as of the 11th anniversary weekend, is discounted)
Ah, that's cool. I'll have to keep it in mind. I've definitely decided on the Grenadier helmet now though, I really like it the more I look at it. Also, Jorge uses it and Jorge is based.

Here we have the Reach Style ODST in Pepakura, the .PDO file, and also as a .OBJ which you should be able to work with for 3D printing with some time and patience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back