New Recruit - How should I start building my armor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I was to work off of the OBJ for the CQC shoulders, is there a specific "structure" I should put on the back to attach it to the rest of the arms, or do I just glue it? I'm not sure of how all this works exactly.

If I was to work off of the OBJ for the CQC shoulders, is there a specific "structure" I should put on the back to attach it to the rest of the arms, or do I just glue it? I'm not sure of how all this works exactly.
Using a peg or support that joins the shoulders to the upper arm along with glue or adhesive should offer a decent amount of strength. While I don't print with ABS, I've seen and heard of people using acetone to soften and then attach parts together. You could also do something similar by gently heating PLA with a hot knife or soldering iron to got it soft or even semi molton and weld parts together.

I'm playing with the idea of a magnetic mount with hooks that will secure the shoulder pads to the arms. Might be interesting if you want to switch shoulder pads out.

Bleagh. I just realized how much detail there is on the CQC shoulders that's just textures. I'm gonna have to do so much... art. And by art I mean slightly inaccurate booleans in Blender.

Things!
1. There's a technique to make bump maps into physical detail for 3D printing. (ooh!)
2. The Halo Reach normal maps are really, really noisy. (yuck.)
3. My dad has an Adobe Illustrate license, is very skilled, and is willing to help me. (ooh!)
4. Yeah! (ooh!)

Hmm... maybe I could just use the normal map applied to the model as a reference for physical details, the bump map application thing brings the vertex count through the roof

Bleagh's back again! I'm trying to get my 3D printer all tuned in nicely so there's less processing to do, but the z-brace files were weird to find and I have to order some nuts and threaded rod. Fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back