Noob Scaling Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

xSkywalker

Hi, i attempted my first helmet i think 5 weeks ago. and it turned out good looking, the only downfall was..it didnt fit my head. I put in some numbers into pepakura scaling thing and these numbers were far too small. I couldnt get my head in it and i dont think there would be any room for my head and the padding. Here are those numbers:
Height:244mm
Width:213mm
Depth:318mm
Scale:18.052606
*These were far too small*
So im just about to start my new helmet and i have to buy the glue all over again-which in australia cost me 7 bucks for 7 grams. My new helmets numbers for the scale are going to be:
Height: 274mm
Width:240mm
Depth:354mm
Scale: 0.262360
*Remeber this is going to be for my 14 year old head, and it still has to fit my head and padding-for a more comfortable fit and to stop the fibreglass touching me*

Please let me know if these measurments are too small-my dad thinks ill have to add about 5 cm, because the ridges of my eyebrows and nose were no well in hell fitting.

A good rule of thumb for a full grown male is anywhere from 270-300mm. But it really depends on the helmet you are making as they are not all the same.

You should scale the helmet to 300mm( 30cm ) in hight, which is the default scale we modelers/unfolders here use. It would normaly fit any head^^

Thank-you for the advice, ive read the thread of how to scale my head- didnt give me that much help. Uh, for the 30cm helmet wouldnt that make my helmet massive in height but and bit disproportionate? Or should i just go with the width that the auto scaler-because its width im really trying to get.
Thanks for all your responses, Skywalker

The Scaling in the Pepakura program holds all the dimensions proportionate. By scaling the height up you are also scaling the width and depth. The helmet model will remain the same shape, just larger overall. I made my first pep'd helm height at 280 and that was big enough to get my head in, but far too small for padding, fan, etc. I would suggest a height of 290-320. PS pictures of your problem would probably help us determine how much larger it needs to be.

Hmm, im thinking about making it 300cm in height and whatever the width and depth comes along ill take it. Sorry i cant put pictures up. I've tried it before but they just dont seem to come up. Maybe im doing it wrong.
If your going 290-320 and your 24 then i think im going to be fine at 300 and have padding at a 14 year old head, also my head isnt shaven its kinda long , but i dont think itll make a difference.
Do you think 300cm in height. and padding would fit? If you tell me how to measure my head would that help? I really dont know about this scaling stuff i just know i wana get it right this time.

good to see another aussie on here and better still in victoria
the rule of thumb i use is measure your head from chin straight up with a ruler with a ruler sitting on top of your head where they meet is your head height
my head height is 25.5cm so i scale to 29cm and it hasn't failed me yet but remember to add extra if there are parts that stick out higher the where your head will sit inside the helmet for instance the hayabusa helmet.
hope this helps

OZZY OZZY OZZY, lol, yeah i havent tried your method right now, but ive write it down for later. Im going with 30cm height and whatever pepakura decides to scale the width and depth.
I was thinking about making a hayabusa set but i thought it looked hard and i should try masterchief first. But when im going to make my full set of armour im putting -masterchief head, hayabus shoulders, and maybe hayabusa chest.
Thanks ACmatrix i really needed the way to measure, noone seemed to give up the secret...
Skywalker

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back