Noob With Pepakura Reinforcement And Visor Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

HeavyGunner

Hello people of the 405th!! Man it sure is good to find a great website like this. Anyway I've got a couple of questions about pepakura and reinforcement methods.

Here's the story, I found this website after googling "master chief armor" and after realizing that I could actually theoretically make my own MC suit out of paper I was overjoyed. So I downloaded Pepakura and the suit files and immediately got to work on the helmet. Being the idiot that I am I didn't read through the website enough to realize that I shouldn't make the helmet out of regular printer paper and wound up building the whole thing only to have it be a shapless ball of nothing. You would think it couldn't get any worse, but then I realized that I actually did have a whole package of 110lb cardstock lying right underneath my printer!!!! DOHHH!!! Well anyway I built the helmet again and it's actually really nice.

So now I have a pretty good pepakura form of the helmet but I don't know how to reinforce it or what kind of visor I should use for it. I searched the website and I really don't want to have to use fiberglass or bondo. I did kind of like AoB's hot glue method but I wanted to know if there were any other options for reinforcement that were a bit cleaner and didn't involve liquid. And in regards to the visor I really don't know how to do this either, the only thing I could think of was possibly a motorcycle visor that I might be able to get at walmart, but with that you've got size issues.

I would really appreciate some help, Thanks

Oh and by the way, sorry about the lack of a picture, I couldn't figure out why it wouldn't let me upload them from my computer

Welcome! All you need now is to give me your gold and jewels! Bwahahaha, oh, and your girlfriend too! Muahahahaha.

I really, reccommend reading the stickies, but, I have time to help you out.

No really, though, welcome! Glad you read before posting stuff. Make sure you read all of the stickies though.

First off, did you use the low detail helmet, or the FS high detail helmet?

I reccommend the FS helmet, as would anyone else.

Second, to answer your questions,
There are no other ways to reinforce without either hot glue, or fiberglass and resin.
However, if it is the toxic fumes you are worried about, I reccommend Aqua Resin. Its fume free!

A visor, would yes, a motorcycle visor would be used. There are Scorpion Visors and another type that I dont remember. (sorry!)

Hope I helped!

You beat me to it Keegan!!

Welcome to the 405th!

As for reinforcing your bucket, most around here go the resin/fiberglass route. You can do the hot glue method also as you know. There may be other methods lurking around also. Check the stickies. Most of your questions are answered in them.

As for the visor, HJC motorcycle visors are typically the choice around here. You can use any visor you wish as long as it is big enough for the opening in your helmet. Of course you will have to do some trimming/shaping.

Good luck on your armor and make sure you post pics of your progress.

Wow I can't believe how fast you guys responded! I literally waited like two minutes! Anyway thanks for the help and to answer your question keegan I used the version that was in Frizzlefry's tutorial so I'm not too sure, but it definentely looks pretty darn detailed (painfully so) and @tlither, I'm more worried about the visor being too big than too small.

Oh, and one more question, which of the two reinforcement methods would be better considering that I used scotch tape to put it together? I'm kind of worried that if I use the hot glue I will melt the tape.

HeavyGunner said:
Oh, and one more question, which of the two reinforcement methods would be better considering that I used scotch tape to put it together? I'm kind of worried that if I use the hot glue I will melt the tape.
So will the fiberglass resin. :( I regret to inform you, but you'll probably have to rebuild your helmet, and use some kind of glue to hold it together. Personally, I use superglue and love it. Others disagree, or prefer hot glue, Elmer's, etc. Just be sure it won't be destroyed by the resin.

Oh, and you shouldn't be worried about the fiberglassing or bondoing. It's not as hard as it looks. Messy, maybe, but gloves, scrap clothing, and a good work area are preferred.

Read through the stickies in the Pep section (and the others while you're at it!) and a lot of your questions should be cleared up.

EDIT: And as far as a visor goes, yeah, they're usually too big. But as tlither said, trimming will be required.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh crap, that sucks!!! :( Jeez, well is there anything I could put onto the outside and inside to make it resistant to the resin? I think I recall somebody saying that electrical tape was resistant to resin, how about another kind of tape? Maybe duct or gorrilla? Come to think of it I recall an add for gorilla tape saying that it was resistant to just about everything, maybe that would work pretty well! Advice?

I suggest you just restart and use hot-glue. It's easy to work with, and holds perfectly. Tape doesn't hold well enough IMO.

Im using fiberglass as i speak, and its very simple to work with, and the fumes (however toxic they may be) are bearable as long as you dont go inhale them too much.

fiberglass is very readily available at auto supply stores (Pep Boys is where i got mine) and at very reasonable rates.

As for construction of your piece, Cardstock is best, and i prefer hot glue, it holds against resin very well, and is easy to work with also.

If you dont want to work with dangerous materials, try Aqua resin, even though you will still need to be careful, and its a bit more expensive if you have to get it shipped.

Duct tape and gorrilla tape may hold up to fiberglass, but do you really want it? Hot glue can come in 30 packs and is very cheap and strong compared to tapes.

for the outside, u need bondo, fibreglass isnt needed, but bondo and maybe resin definately is.

my helmets as hard as a rock, and i got cardBOARD and hot glued it to the inside, then done another think hot glue layer, and it as hard as a rock

for the outside detailing though, bondo is pretty much crucial, as for the visor, i seriously wouldnt worry about that if youre only up to the pep stage, youve got a long way til you get to the visor, its the last thing you do

rvb4life said:
Im using fiberglass as i speak, and its very simple to work with, and the fumes (however toxic they may be) are bearable as long as you dont go inhale them too much.
Are you suggesting that he hold his breath while working with resin? Not practical.

You said it yourself that it's toxic so be responsible and take the necessary precautions like wearing a respirator. If you choose not to wear one, that's your choice but don't go telling people something that goes against all the safety procedures that the forums are advocating.

Ok thanks for the advice on reinforcement guys, but I'm kind of in a bind because I can't decide whether or not to redo the helmet entirely, because I used scotch tape, or just try to use hot glue to see if it will work. Everybody says that hot glue and fiberglass/resin both might melt the tape and make it fall apart, but I haven't heard any definative "it will without a doubt wreck your helmet badly" so if someone could clarify I'd appreciate it.

HeavyGunner said:
Ok thanks for the advice on reinforcement guys, but I'm kind of in a bind because I can't decide whether or not to redo the helmet entirely, because I used scotch tape, or just try to use hot glue to see if it will work. Everybody says that hot glue and fiberglass/resin both might melt the tape and make it fall apart, but I haven't heard any definative "it will without a doubt wreck your helmet badly" so if someone could clarify I'd appreciate it.

Ok...maybe what they are trying to say is that the Resin will eat away at the tape...meaning your helmet will completely start to fall apart and unless you tend to stay there for about 30 mins trying to hold the helmet together while the resin cures, you are in for a long wait! I have had my pieces literally fall apart because I didn't put enough glue on yes I was standing there holding pieces together till it cured a bit just so I could let go! In the beginning I used Hot Glue. Have you checked out AoBFrosts topic about using Hot Glue...ther has been a couple of people who used it and came up with good results!!!

If you re-do the helmet...go with FS helmet because it is way more detailed but if you want to just try and learn...you can resin your helmet and actually see for yourself what might happen. That way you get the experience and knowledge so when another n00b joins and ask the same question, you will know what to say from experience.

Good luck on your build buddy and welcome to the 405!

Thanks for the advice WetOkole, and yeah AoB's tutorial was one of the first things I looked at, and I think i'm going to go that route instead of the resining with fiberglass. I tried out his method yesterday with the little bit of hot glue that I had, and it worked almost perfectly :) So once I have a chance to get to walmart I'll buy some hot glue to reinforce the helmet. Hopefully when I try to apply the glue to the whole thing it will work, I just tried a small patch yesteday, so I'm hoping it will work for the whole thing.

Oh and by the way what's the difference between the different types of master chief helmets? I used the file that was in FrizzleFry's tutorial in the pep armor section but i'm not sure how to distinguish between them. Thanks

HeavyGunner said:
Hello people of the 405th!! Man it sure is good to find a great website like this. Anyway I've got a couple of questions about pepakura and reinforcement methods.

Here's the story, I found this website after googling "master chief armor" and after realizing that I could actually theoretically make my own MC suit out of paper I was overjoyed. So I downloaded Pepakura and the suit files and immediately got to work on the helmet. Being the idiot that I am I didn't read through the website enough to realize that I shouldn't make the helmet out of regular printer paper and wound up building the whole thing only to have it be a shapless ball of nothing. You would think it couldn't get any worse, but then I realized that I actually did have a whole package of 110lb cardstock lying right underneath my printer!!!! DOHHH!!! Well anyway I built the helmet again and it's actually really nice.

So now I have a pretty good pepakura form of the helmet but I don't know how to reinforce it or what kind of visor I should use for it. I searched the website and I really don't want to have to use fiberglass or bondo. I did kind of like AoB's hot glue method but I wanted to know if there were any other options for reinforcement that were a bit cleaner and didn't involve liquid. And in regards to the visor I really don't know how to do this either, the only thing I could think of was possibly a motorcycle visor that I might be able to get at walmart, but with that you've got size issues.

I would really appreciate some help, Thanks

Oh and by the way, sorry about the lack of a picture, I couldn't figure out why it wouldn't let me upload them from my computer

Something i have heard is a can of rubber spray, its in an arisol container and you can find it at most hardware stores, im going to look for some in a few days and will keep you updated

I'd say with the visor a regular motorcycle visor would be fine and then just cut the template out of ur pep helmet for the visor tape it on to the motorcycle visor and cut around it? i think that would be the way to go someone correct me if im wrong

Necroposting is bad, and this post died out a month ago.. I'm locking it so it'll starve and return to the grave.

The material you mentioned is tooldip, or "grip dip", not sure how well that'll work, but good luck.

As for using the pep as a template for the visor, I'd suggest that it's a decent start, but better think on how you want to attach the visor to see if you need extra material, or how MUCH extra material you need. I would surmise that typically you need overlap, and that the shape of the outside cut isn't real critical, because it'll be MOSTLY concealed.. (mostly..)

Maybe that's just me though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back