Odst Armor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fearless Son

So I know I have been talking about making a set of ODST armor for a while now, yet I have not posted any images to show for it. This is not because I have not been working on it, but it is because I feel a little bashful about showing an incomplete work in progress. However, I have been snapping a few pictures as I go, and as of early Friday morning (barely in time for PAX '09) my ODST armor passed the "presentable" milestone. While there are more details I would certainly like to add (and intend to do so before the ODST launch party on the twenty-first) the armor is now in a state that it looks represenative of final.

Behold:

006.jpg

That picture would be titled "Ready to drop" but I had forgotten to put on my ammo belt. :p

As you can see though, I put the Marathon logo right in the center. We know that ODST can customize their armor a little, so I figured "Hey, why not put the Marathon logo there?" I like to think that this ODST is a veteran of "the liberation of Tau Ceti," so to speak. ;)

I like this picture taken at PAX because I think that I blend in well with the background:

007.jpg

And for those so interested, here is me in the same place getting my picture taken with Bungie environment artist Vic DeLeon.

And this one I like to call "homecoming". I hope I communicated the right sort of emotion in it:

010.jpg

Enough showing off, I am sure that people want to read a little more about the construction. The undersuit was taken from several places. The legs were actually two pairs of pants, one with a subdued urban camo pattern and one straight black. The crotch was cut out of the urban camo pants, and the legs from that were grafted onto the black pants. "Splicing jeans", if you will. The excess material cut out of the camo pants was then used on the forarms of a black long-sleave tee shirt. The sewing was done for me by my friend Lizzy (Hotmail account Sasami_jurai, she has a degree in theatatrical costume design and would be happy to work commission on soft costumes for anyone in the greater Seattle area.) On top of that I put a Molle Replica tactical armor vest I ordered from Play Asia (from in Hong Kong so the shipping was pricy.) I also wore a balaklava, though that is not shown in the following picture:

004.jpg

This also might come as a surprise, but my father and I actually choose to forgo our usual methods of foam and plastic, nor did we use more conventional methods of Pepakura and fiberglass. Pepakura was involved, but only as a model. Instead, we constructed all the armor plates on the outfit entirely out of wood. Shown here is the unpainted ammo belt buckle, with the Pepakura model for compairson:

002-1.jpg

Though not the case with the belt buckle, most of our plates were made using lightweight medium density fiberboard. MDF is the same kind of wood that IKEA uses in furnature, which is honestly not the highest quality of wood for sturdy construction. However, it has advantages for costume armorers such as us because it is very easy to carve and sand into shape and has no woodgrain to worry about. Further, by gluing the MDF down to a piece of harder wood like plywood, it becomes a composit that allows easy forming of the exterior surface while still being hard to snap in half.

The helmet did use slightly more traditional methods, being my first attempt using resin, only with cheesecloth instead of fiberglass. We discovered that the resined helmet was coming out poorly though, somewhat distorted and would not hold the right shape. So we ended up correcting it by reinforcing it with several pieces of wood. Shown below is a picture of the inside of the helmet as it was almost complete so you can see for yourself:

005.jpg

There is still more work to do on this though. For example, the visor is not actually attached, being held inside by its own tension. It needs to be cut down to the proper shape and actually fixed into place (it pushes back into my glasses and nose uncomfortably as it is now.) Plus I need to make some shoulder plates for this, but that should not be difficult. They were just a low priority in the scheme of getting things ready for PAX. I would also like to get my hands on a vox unit like they use in gas masks so I can talk out of the helmet without my voice being muffled. If anyone knows where I can buy on of those, I would be obliged to know it too.

Well, that is it for my costume for now. It might appear in a few other photo archives from PAX '09 around the internet (I am on Kotaku as number four here and number three here, so keep your eyes out.

Adam said:
Seen your pic all over twitter. Nice job!!!

Thanks for reminding me, I just followed you on Twitter. But yeah, VicDeLeon, BungieTweets, and Halo_Waypoint all posted pictures of me. Not sure who else did.

Gnr8tnXXX said:
wow very nice..keep it up...arent the wood peices heavy tho?nice job.

Yeah, the wood pieces are heavy, but I think that just enhances my acting the role. I feel really kitted out with a lot of gear. It is hot and uncomfortable under all of that, just like I would expect to feel if I was an ODST. Heck, the muffled sound, the quiet buzz of the in-helmet cooling fan, and the acute awareness of my own breathing make me feel like I am actually wearing a spacesuit. :D

Honestly though, the heaviest parts were the U.N.S.C. map bag I had around my back over one shoulder, and the AR5B (also made entirely of wood) I had strapped over my other shoulder. The armor plates were not such a big deal, since the vest I had them mounted on is designed to bear loads across the body.

Last edited by a moderator:
dprince59 said:
what did u use 4 the visor?

Oh, I just ordered a replacement visor for a motorcycle helmet. It worked surprisingly well, had just the right combination of opaquness and transparency, and was thankfully fog resistant. I had to worry more about the fog on my glasses than the fog on the visor. It is a little tight around my face though, pushes back into my nose and glasses. Hopefully getting it cut into the proper shape and sealed down will reduce that somewhat. It is not so uncomfortable wearing it, but putting it on and taking it off can hurt a little.

[EDIT]: Here is a close in picture of the helmet and the visor. Unfortunately, the lighting was such that you can see into it from the outside (which goes to show another benefit of wearing a balaklava under the helmet):

639774422_UxAbA-M.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
nice suit man!

I'm still kind of a noob at this thing, but I still wanted to do something new. I've made an ODST helm out of sheet aluminum and pop-rivets (FULL METAL). still need to pad, paint, and maybe wire up this one, but here it is so far.

[attachment=14641:0119102031.jpg]

[attachment=14642:0119102031a.jpg]

Enjoy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back