ODST: Project Real Armor.... (Pic Heavy)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I already made armor before this, but the ballistics test did give me information I needed for some other stuff im building,
I just wont post mine on 405th or it would get removed, as this probably will......

or someone will hurt themselves and post a pic here, worst case scenario

Yes, it is an ethical question, but so is every piece of cinema that portrays violence and every video game that includes violence, Including HALO - which is a war game; is an ethical nightmare in violence. these kids are submersed in the notion of violence constantly. Consider the new batman series.. it was brilliant, i loved it, and so did many others.. however, it was absolutely brutal and has a notion for whitewashing innocence. there are infinite ways to bring 'Dad's gun' into this, so from the proverbial ethical response lets just go ahead and ban everything so our kids are always safe.

I have lived with my children peaceable for many years with firearms in the room next to theirs. My roomate for much time at bragg was an 18b (SF weapon sergeant), he had a dozen + weapons in the room next to our rooms, but his mentorship of my son who was 4 at the time was extraordinary, and the boy is extremely mature about weapons now (he is almost 10 now)

The point is people kill people. If people quit focusing on every specific avenue that kids could possibly be injured and focused more on raising their kids to understand the difference between right and wrong then we wouldnt be having this discussion (do not take this to mean that i do not want to hear what you have to say because you hold much wisdom). The technical knowledge this man is willing to impart is a privilidge, and the 405th is lucky to have him in our ranks.

People dont get that guns dont lead to accidents unless mis-handled, heck, the dumb people that dont know anything about guns except the phrase "ak-47" or "guns kill stuff somehow and I dont know how so im going to blame the gods of other religions" are normally the people who are so hyprocritical that the ygo buy one just to be cool and then accidentally shoot themselves.

Point is, my neighbors that just moved had 7 year old kids that owned firearms, and they knew everything about gun safety, and they couldnt care less about how "cool" guns are. Now one of them is a knife collector.

Really if someone hurst themselves its because they probably went on the internet,
got misinformed and thinks (play-doh or something stupid like that) is bulletproof, and them tries to test their "awesome" new helmet.

Yes, it is an ethical question, but so is every piece of cinema that portrays violence and every video game that includes violence, Including HALO - which is a war game;

That's the exact reason why Halo is rated M, 16 or equivalent across all sequels and internationally, with very few exceptions. This site isn't, and a lot of the members are, much to my surprise, actually below that age - and show it.

Banning everything is not what I was proposing and certainly not the solution. In fact, teaching kids how guns work and how to (not!) use them is probably the best thing to do in a society where having them is normal.
The problem I see with this particular project is that unlike the stuff you see in a video game it's very tempting to actually try it out. As an adult you may be content with the fact that your armour would be bulletproof if you ever shot at it, but for a child it's totally absurd to build something and then stick a "do not use" label onto it. I have absolutely no doubt that if you put stuff like this on the web, somebody will at some point get hurt.

The point is people kill people.

That's just as biased as "guns kill people". Guns are meant to kill and therefore dangerous.

Guns dont kill people, I kill people! :D

Albiet with guns, but I know five ways to kill someone with a paperclip, so takin my guns wont help.

Actually my senior project will be on gun safety, and "what not to do with a gun" (or even worse MULTIPLE guns)
and I think if everyone in my school was informed about guns, they would not only want one more, but they would be safe gun handlers. Heck, maybe there would even be A %50 gun accident mishap reduction in my city!

I know that was not your point to ban everything, it just really saddens me that the only way to keep the masses safe would be the same...
"guns are meant to kill and therefore dangerous" Might i remind you that in the hands of an expert anything is dangerous. HALO is a work of fiction, but there are real people that are hyper lethal. humans are literally designed to kill, if not for that reason than why have there been so many creatures extinguished from this planet by our hands?? People are therefore dangerous, as killing provided us with food so as to survive, so then we evolved to kill, so dont ban this thread, ban people.

All kidding aside, your first statement is disheartening to see, i now believe this site should have an age cap of 16.

I already made armor before this, but the ballistics test did give me information I needed for some other stuff im building, I just wont post mine on 405th or it would get removed, as this probably will......

or someone will hurt themselves and post a pic here, worst case scenario

Really if someone hurst themselves its because they probably went on the internet,
got misinformed and thinks (play-doh or something stupid like that) is bulletproof, and them tries to test their "awesome" new helmet.

This would be the Fiberglass and ceramic "level 5" body armour you said you'd made in another thread then? I find it fascinating that apparently in America it's legal for a 15 y'old to make and test body armour, make guns and knives and drive trucks as you've said.
Kinda makes me glad to be in the UK, feels a lot safer here now ;)

I find it fascinating that apparently in America it's legal for a 15 y'old to make and test body armour, make guns and knives and drive trucks as you've said.
Pfft... in what state?! Surely not in mine, I hope!

Back to the build though, what sort of padding do you plan on having in the inside?

Its pretty bad if you think about it, but for the most part its fun.

Kind of like one of my favorite types of knife. Its a polymer plastic knife hidden in a large or small comb.
Its undetectable on a metal detector and most people don't usually try to pull the comb part off the handle as the line is not even visible.

Albiet with guns, but I know five ways to kill someone with a paperclip, so takin my guns wont help.

Kind of like one of my favorite types of knife. Its a polymer plastic knife hidden in a large or small comb.
Its undetectable on a metal detector and most people don't usually try to pull the comb part off the handle as the line is not even visible.

You aren't exactly helping the case of teenagers here, you realise that, right?

You're also starting to be scary.

"guns are meant to kill and therefore dangerous" Might i remind you that in the hands of an expert anything is dangerous.

The problem is not what a trained expert can do, but what kind of accidents an untrained amateur can cause - it's a lot harder to accidentally kill yourself with (for example) a knife than with a gun.

humans are literally designed to kill, if not for that reason than why have there been so many creatures extinguished from this planet by our hands?? People are therefore dangerous, as killing provided us with food so as to survive, so then we evolved to kill, so dont ban this thread, ban people.
Humans aren't built for killing, and neither for survival. The one remarkable thing we do have is a big head, but that's about it.

We're also totally leaving the topic here. I for one am still waiting for a staff member to say something.

Pfft... in what state?! Surely not in mine, I hope!

Back to the build though, what sort of padding do you plan on having in the inside?

Inner most layer of foam it 5 with Kevlar chop and the layer closest to user with flex foam it v with Kevlar chop both layers incased in Kevlar with a outer layer of ballistic nylon.

foam it 5 by it self was able to change the trajectory of 22LR HR rounds but not stop it. It did however going strait in it exited on the side so it changed the bullets angle by 90 degrees adding Kevlar chop should vastly improve it will do ballistic tests with foam it 5 and Kevlar this weekend. You could go with a less expanding foam to improve ballistic performance but foam it 5 can be crushed a little so help mitigate some of the forces if the flex foam it is totally compressed.

would also like to add using in conjunction with as I have a IOTV that I plan on mounting the armor to. It excepts ballistic plates and soft body armor panels which I happen to have as well.

261340_252547511425483_100000107093151_1164325_6692312_n.jpg

odst helmet was not made by me. I just painted it.

We're also totally leaving the topic here. I for one am still waiting for a staff member to say something.

Totally agree Ventrue, this kind of talk isn't tolerated here guys. Please keep that stuff off the boards.

Try and get your thread back on track man.

If a police officer saw what you said here, you would probably be arrested. You're not cool.

Inner most layer of foam it 5 with Kevlar chop and the layer closest to user with flex foam it v with Kevlar chop both layers incased in Kevlar with a outer layer of ballistic nylon.

foam it 5 by it self was able to change the trajectory of 22LR HR rounds but not stop it. It did however going strait in it exited on the side so it changed the bullets angle by 90 degrees adding Kevlar chop should vastly improve it will do ballistic tests with foam it 5 and Kevlar this weekend. You could go with a less expanding foam to improve ballistic performance but foam it 5 can be crushed a little so help mitigate some of the forces if the flex foam it is totally compressed.

Please use grammar and spell check so we can understand what you are saying. I'd really REALLY like to know how and where you got these supplies so I can build a stronger suit that is incredibly durable.

This is the type of thread people should have to make your armor paintball and airsoft safe.

Please use grammar and spell check so we can understand what you are saying. I'd really REALLY like to know how and where you got these supplies so I can build a stronger suit that is incredibly durable.

This is the type of thread people should have to make your armor paintball and airsoft safe.

I replyed to a similar question earler. As for grammer yes mine sucks, but it was spell checked and the spell checker still says nothing is wrong. As for keeping it on track I can't stop people from posting, but will try to keep updates coming.

P.S. I'm Highly dyslexic so asking for proper grammar and spelling is like asking a guy with out sight, to watch out where he is going. When I read my post my mind fixes the problems I don't even see it.

You aren't exactly helping the case of teenagers here, you realise that, right?

You're also starting to be scary.

I agree with Ventrue on this one toa, what exactly are you aiming to accomplish? I entered an ethical discussion for the point of saving threads like these, but it led to the aforementioned comments and you proved my opponent correct... i feel language such as that even if it is a joke is going too far because

Weapons of Any Nature, are very powerful, and wielding such power is not a joke.

The following scenarios I mentioned were for use by professionals only, the comments about banning humans (was in general not this site) was sarcasm; and by reductio logic:
The problem is not what a trained expert can do, but what kind of accidents an untrained amateur can cause - it's a lot harder to accidentally kill yourself with (for example) a knife than with a gun.
touche. sadly sir, i am painfully aware of that comment...

My only hope now, is that everyone here takes away the fact that we cant have nice things (globally, nationally, site specific), because the masses are renobulous, do not respect power of any form, nor attempt to educate themselves on topics they are quick to condemn. Perhaps one day this site will be ready for such power.. but you are correct, it is not. a few individuals attempted something great, and as usual, ignorance prevails. Not your ignorance Mr. Ventrue, no, you are very wise, and very noble.. so i will leave this in peace and return to the mission at hand; there is real armor to create today, not 'real' odst armor, beyond that... so to all those in the service following this thread i say God Bless You, and to the rest i say Good Day...

IN MEMORY OF SFC Michael Bramer
(http://www.iraqwarheroes.com/bramer.htm)

who boldy served as our team physicist / weapon expert, and serves in spirit now...
this project is something he would have loved to see... miss you brother..

Last edited by a moderator:
would also like to add using in conjunction with as I have a IOTV that I plan on mounting the armor to. It excepts ballistic plates and soft body armor panels which I happen to have as well.
Won't that add a lot of unnecessary bulk, even without the plates? I feel big enough in my IOTV and I don't even have the arm attachments that you have. I'm also a size extra small!

I agree but I also feel that this would tremendously benefit those who want a much more durable armor for other things, like short film productions that require stunts.

This would be the Fiberglass and ceramic "level 5" body armour you said you'd made in another thread then? I find it fascinating that apparently in America it's legal for a 15 y'old to make and test body armour, make guns and knives and drive trucks as you've said.
Kinda makes me glad to be in the UK, feels a lot safer here now ;)
Just to throw my piece into this banhammer landing zone:
Texas has the loosest gun regs in the developed world, and you still have to be 18 to own a firearm, legally. Also, you have to be 16 to drive. (18 to drive commercial-grade heavy trucks, like semis (articulated lorry)) Er, I don't know what you mean about making guns and knives, and I think anyone in a democracy can make their creations, be it body armor or broomsticks. I'm fairly certain that's how the capitalist system works.

Anyway, I saw this on facebook, originally, and I think it just has to be said, that, as long as people realize it takes a lot of skill and work to replicate, this kind of thing is completely in line with the rules. Then again, that's the problem with the 405th, post-Noobpocalypse. New kids DON'T realize it.

In any case, cool project you're working on. Keep us posted.

Won't that add a lot of unnecessary bulk, even without the plates? I feel big enough in my IOTV and I don't even have the arm attachments that you have. I'm also a size extra small!

I agree but I also feel that this would tremendously benefit those who want a much more durable armor for other things, like short film productions that require stunts.

With just soft body inserts in a IOTV its not that bad at least for me. You can use the molle to mount the armor as for daps they are a little stiff but they fit inside the shoulders bells well. As for the armor over the gut you don't have to have them riveted together then just attached to the molle. The only problem I see is the neck seal as there is no molle up that high on a IOTV but it could also be free floating with the stander Velcro or clip at the neck.

Now as for durability for filming ya its rock solid even after shooting it you can put the edges of the armor on bricks and stand on the middle and bounce at least with me and I weight 170lb did not have the 350lb guy handy at the time.

I have also figured out a use for the damaged armor I plan on finishing it up and gluing the strake face back together and make up clear/purple needier spikes and placing them in the holes left by the 9mm rounds then put LED's behind the holes so the needier rounds glow.

269760_252547764758791_100000107093151_1164326_5773513_n.jpg

Yeah, with all the loops in the IOTV, it would definitely be easier to fit the armor onto you than a protective motorcycle jacket. I don't have the link on me at the moment but there is a nice jacket that is similar to the in-game under suit. It costs a pretty penny though.

XD The needler idea sounds fun! I can see that catching a lot of people's eyes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back