Foam ODST Upgrade/ new ODST

Status
Not open for further replies.

S229

Hello all!
Hope you are having a wonderful day, and are staying safe as well as happy.

Circa fall of 2016, i decided i wanted to be an ODST for halloween, as i was totally in love with ODSTs, and so little me went and found Andrew DFT's guide on how to become an ODST. (cue the excited screeching)

Fast forward about 5 or so years and here i am, a blooming foamsmith and a huge fan of halo. (naturally you can probably see where this is going) So, this past fall, i was thinking to myself, and i said "self, lets make another ODST." Being a helljumper through and through, i got to work immediately. using the DFT tutorials loosely, i created my new set of armor.

IMG_5250.jpg

3D printed helmet, and the rest of it all is foam.

The suit itself looks decent, but the fit is fairly tight due to scaling issues, as well as the general lack of detail and no weathering.
so, in this thread i will be updating the suit, to make it look nice, fit well, and make it look like i've actually been deployed on a drop.

Along with upgrading the suit, i will be entirely scrapping some of the pieces for completely new ones, hence the "New ODST" title.

So, i invite you to join me as i drop feet first into hell with this project.

Last edited:
So, before even posting this, i've already made progress, as i was unsure if i was going to make a thread out of this.

For now, that's all i've got, but the next thing on the docket is to redo my chest piece, making it more bulky and making it look just generally better on my frame. (Yay more scaling!)

update time!
using heavy reference from the 343i official guide, as well as 5 hours of work, i am proud to present: belt 2.0
IMG_1.jpg

for reference, this is the old one, circled in red^

i'm still working on how to properly redo my chest piece to make it look right, so i decided to do the belt in the mean time. So, to amend my earlier statement, the chest is coming soon!

Most of the pieces seem to look accurate in design, but a little small. Size must be the hardest thing to refabricate without starting over, but it still looks great!

Most of the pieces seem to look accurate in design, but a little small. Size must be the hardest thing to refabricate without starting over, but it still looks great!
personally, i feel the same way. They really don't look horrible, but like you said, they are small. In the thigh pieces, i had to make a repair because the foam ripped due to stress, so yeah they are small.

i actually built the new belt over top of the old one, so the sizing there is fairly similar, but it has a higher standard of detail.

I have finished my chest piece and will be uploading pictures later tonight. Im super happy with it, and can't wait to share it!

Reactions: BAG
I had planned to upload the pictures last night as i had said, but unfortunately, life happened and i was unable to, i will get those up asap.

But on an interesting and somewhat related note, i was prowling the ODST stuff in our lovely armoury, and i came across this in the textures section.
Screen Shot 2022-01-19 at 11.42.30 AM.png

I noticed on the chest that there are several numbers, and from what i can make out, it says (L to R) 81 67 8, MKI, and MD ODST MDI. I'm not too concerned with adding them to my costume, but i was simply curious if any of you know what these markings mean.

In the previous reply, i had noted that the chest was finished, and i will now be working on the thigh armour for the next stage of this.

You may notice that the chest piece rides up on my shoulders, and that is due to the fact that I mounted the shoulder straps on straight, when they are cambered a few degrees to allow the suit to sit comfortably on the chest, so i'll have to go back and change that later. but for now, it is done and I am very happy with it. Now on to the thighs!

Last edited:
Another glorious ODST build. I’ve been working on my first ODST build too. I’m about to start working on the undersuit if you’d like to follow my progress check out my thread

Another glorious ODST build. I’ve been working on my first ODST build too. I’m about to start working on the undersuit if you’d like to follow my progress check out my thread

Hahahaha, funny that you say that! i've actually had your build thread on watched for a few weeks! i'm absolutely impressed and very excited to see how yours turns out, but it is looking fantastic so far!

I also follow most of the ODST builds on here (if not, i at least glance at them) because i have the word ODST as a keyword that gives me a notification whenever someone makes a post that has that word in it.

Oooh I didn’t know you could have keywords. I might need to do that. I’ve been manually finding all the ODST builds to hype them up

Hahahaha, funny that you say that! i've actually had your build thread on watched for a few weeks! i'm absolutely impressed and very excited to see how yours turns out, but it is looking fantastic so far!

I also follow most of the ODST builds on here (if not, i at least glance at them) because i have the word ODST as a keyword that gives me a notification whenever someone makes a post that has that word in it.
This is dangerous information to share. Expect many more people adding ODST at the end of their post as a way of saying hello to you.

ODST

Just a quick update, I am working when I can to get the thighs done on the suit, but life has started picking up again for me, so it's been slow progress, and hope to get at least one done by the end of the week.

Little side note, this is the third time i've tried thighs in my life, and good lord these things are difficult!

So, if y'all haven't noticed, i never posted an update. i hit a wall and just kind of lost motivation, and on top of that even if i did, i've been busy. the earliest i can get back to work is next week. So, thats a thing. I'll post an update when i actually get something done, but until then, have a nice day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back