**Official** Gundam Pepakura File Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
It'll take at least a week starting Monday. Currently being deployed at a local con. Being trapped in the dealers hall all weekend.

Blertz i dont know if any1 told u recently but, i love u in a [PLATONIC] way that u are sharing these, really appreciate all the hard work and effort u put in.

Last edited by a moderator:
How many things have you scanned so far. I'm still waiting for my equipment to come in the mail. X(

3D scanner didn't work out to well. The files had way too much polycount and it was really tedious trying to reduce it using meshlab. I may attempt using 3D scanner again later down the road using larger scaled models like 1/100 and 1/60, but my focus at the moment is to finish my Strike Gundam costume.

3D scanner didn't work out to well. The files had way too much polycount and it was really tedious trying to reduce it using meshlab. I may attempt using 3D scanner again later down the road using larger scaled models like 1/100 and 1/60, but my focus at the moment is to finish my Strike Gundam costume.

What software are you using and how? I got my line laser and some other software but still don't have a web cam.

What software are you using and how? I got my line laser and some other software but still don't have a web cam.

I used Nextengine's ScanStudio HD, which was made specifically for their 3D scanner products. It allows me to take 360 scans, which I redo and different angles. After, it tries to merge the different angled sans into a single 3D model. It also has some tools to clean the model before export.

http://www.nextengine.com/products

UPDATE!!

What has been happening my fellow Gundam nerds!!

After doing a lot of NOTHING!!! A few things didn't go as planned with the scanning Gunpla thing (some success/failure) The only thing that turned out good from my 1/48 scaled RX-78 gundam was the Shield. :p Finally ran into some models that are worthy to my standards. Now, I will only doo the HEADS of said models. (unless otherwise) Will take me quite a while to get these fully ready for Pep since there is nearly 15 different objects to mesh together. Here are some sneak peeks at what's being blended. Few of these have been asked for in the past, and now I have good models to give out.

If you know you're gundam's as well as I do you can guess. *evil laugh*

I would guess that head belongs to Heavyarms Custom.

Fyi, sometimes 3D scans have issues with things that are glossy/shiny/reflective.
Trust me when I say there are Zero times of the day in which you can take a scan of a 1969 Chevelle with metallic paint, and have the model generated in a way that DOESN'T look like the Incredible Hulk grabbed it and chucked it through the air.
At least you have a pretty solid surface, it just looks like it needed to be smoothed (which can be a pain).
My biggest issue (besides having a car that reflects everything) was that I tried to bypass actually getting a scanner, and I used sets of photos that I compiled into Autodesk 3D Catch to generate the models. But in the end, it was a good learning experience.

TBH, the BEST and easiest thing you could probably do, is use the scanned model as a template/base layer for a new 3d model, then create a second layer where you generate the shape and the polygons for the shape as best you can to re-generate the model.
It is essentially the 3d equivalent of taking a blank sheet of paper and placing it on top of another sheet of paper, and tracing the details of the lower sheet onto the upper sheet.
Ditch the lower sheet when you are done (aka the jagged scanned model).
Having the scans as a template to model from is a great way to ensure that you get all the proportions correct.
Alternatively, I used a pair of dial calipers and Lightwave3D at one point to recreate the torso of the 20th Anniversary Optimus Prime.
I might only have the torso, but it transforms!
It might have been easier to scan it, but you can't go wrong with owning calipers. :)

Additionally, some have found it better to keep the model fixed, and instead place the scanner on an arm that revolves around the object.
For the best results, you need to find a way to suspend the object you wish to scan.
Watch this:
Maybe it'll help you generate better models :)

I would guess that head belongs to Heavyarms Custom.

Fyi, sometimes 3D scans have issues with things that are glossy/shiny/reflective.
Trust me when I say there are Zero times of the day in which you can take a scan of a 1969 Chevelle with metallic paint, and have the model generated in a way that DOESN'T look like the Incredible Hulk grabbed it and chucked it through the air.
At least you have a pretty solid surface, it just looks like it needed to be smoothed (which can be a pain).
My biggest issue (besides having a car that reflects everything) was that I tried to bypass actually getting a scanner, and I used sets of photos that I compiled into Autodesk 3D Catch to generate the models. But in the end, it was a good learning experience.

TBH, the BEST and easiest thing you could probably do, is use the scanned model as a template/base layer for a new 3d model, then create a second layer where you generate the shape and the polygons for the shape as best you can to re-generate the model.
It is essentially the 3d equivalent of taking a blank sheet of paper and placing it on top of another sheet of paper, and tracing the details of the lower sheet onto the upper sheet.
Ditch the lower sheet when you are done (aka the jagged scanned model).
Having the scans as a template to model from is a great way to ensure that you get all the proportions correct.
Alternatively, I used a pair of dial calipers and Lightwave3D at one point to recreate the torso of the 20th Anniversary Optimus Prime.
I might only have the torso, but it transforms!
It might have been easier to scan it, but you can't go wrong with owning calipers. :)

Additionally, some have found it better to keep the model fixed, and instead place the scanner on an arm that revolves around the object.
For the best results, you need to find a way to suspend the object you wish to scan.
Watch this:
Maybe it'll help you generate better models :)

That scanner would be great and all, but I don't have the money to even get a gunplay model right now.

You are right. I had found a 3d model of the EW Heavyarms, however since the model is in so many pieces its hard for me to grasp on how to mesh it together. Since I keep staring at it in my head , it would seem that this model is not very worthy of Pep. I had also found a ZZ model, but since it was of the same modeler. I decided not to use it as well. In the end, I am still looking into other things. updates with pix will be Included later.

This is my set up for scanning objects for blender. It is very basic. The arm is what I threw together from "scrap wood". At the top of the "arm" is a 3V line laser hooked up to a 8 AA pack with 9v connecters. Gives my a level line instead of holding the laser by hand. (didn't work very well) My computer has a build in webcam. can you imagine trying to scan something in a 6 inch hole. not easy. The webcam I'm using a Logitech, from my sister.
F04FA082-989E-4C3C-B6D0-0686863738D4_zpsmov7qark.jpg
I am using David-Laserscanner V 3.7.1. Getting a complete 360 scan of the 1/48 scaled head is one of the most problematic things going through my head right now. very glitchy scans so far. More news on that later.

OK this is going to be my first scan and work about. It is the 1/48 scaled RX78-2 shield. The back is too complicated to put into the blender so it will be blank.
16726C15-8323-414D-931B-CB8AD45AAC1F_zpstdzdqoqt.jpg

Till next time!!

Updating Time!!

Unfolder's Needed!!

Since the group is going through A LOT of changes, and if it's doing that I might as well add what I have gotten over the past few days. :cool

For those who wanted it before. Drop you jaws and scream all you want since its Finally here!!! (and ready)

Test_zpscc670591.png
I got lazy and left many pieces separate since people want it.

Not unfolded (9)
http://www.4shared.com/file/ucvMpqx6ce/ZZ_online.html

Next in line is this devil.

Teaz_zps016b41a0.png
still a lot to do on it.

Till next time!

Not sure none of my models would be good enough for a 3D printer.
Well I have access to a 15"x15"15" printer so if you want to do some print for print (every part you design I print one for you free, and I get to make one for my own cosplay fun) If you would like to up your models (they look better than anything I can make)

Well I have access to a 15"x15"15" printer so if you want to do some print for print (every part you design I print one for you free, and I get to make one for my own cosplay fun) If you would like to up your models (they look better than anything I can make)

I'm going to buy my own 3d printer soon. Going with the printrbot simple. Only a 4x4x4 print bed but I can always print out upgrades. The other thing is I don't know how to get the models I have to be smooth enough to print.

Hey everyone, im new to this site and new to pepakura. Does anyone have the files on Hell Death Scythe? I am attempting that armor for my cosplay. It will be my first armor build ever and Im super excited. Ive seen some really great things on here and cant wait to get started. Thanks!

Hey everyone, im new to this site and new to pepakura. Does anyone have the files on Hell Death Scythe? I am attempting that armor for my cosplay. It will be my first armor build ever and Im super excited. Ive seen some really great things on here and cant wait to get started. Thanks!

Are you looking for the second ver. of death scythe hell or the Endless Waltz ver. I have recently did a semi finished head of the death scythe hell from the tv show. I do not have any models from EW. As for the rest of the body of #2, it's not likely that I am going to do it anytime soon. If you want, you can start on the head in the mean time. It's a few posts up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back