Official pepakura scaling thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok so im having the same problem as Igor i tried everything...what i think might be the problem is that even though the width is right, it is only right at the widest part of the helmet but unless i build the helmet around my head, ill never get my head through the head hole...im using the same helmet as Igor [HD MKVI Helmet = 0.25326 scale (height 265 mm) ].. so should i just scale it way up or what. i am a noob at this so any help would be greatly appreciated...thx also i am 5'9-5'10, i even manually measured my head and that still didnt work

I have a question:
Do the formula works for all kinds of scales? for example, i want to build a Recon Helmet and the file scale is 1.551004, after the math came out a 1.39410 (238mm height), i'm 71.3 inches height, but i augmented another 6 inches to fit properly, is it correct? another example of original file's scale is 54.498584 for Male Reach's Chest.
Thanks

Arg. I am having a lot of trouble scaling Rundown's Noble six helm unfolded by BMcLain. Im 5'2'' (ish) -yes, i know, im short- and nothing is working.

I finished my first MC helmet using the scaling method and noticed right away when I changed the scale size, everything got smaller. The original scale was 23.5 and after conversion it was 20.22. I have no idea if the is a correlation to inches but my head size is 23" (the original scale). It doesn’t fit me or my six year old!

I’m going to redo the helmet at the original size. The visual “common sense” of seeing things get smaller should have been a clue but I’m a noob at this. It has given me a good place to start though for when I being the other parts of my suit.

I am working on a MKVI helm right now and I just took Sigma-LS's scale number and head circumferance and made a proportion with my own dimensions (Like this) 18/9.26=22/x and solved for x. My theory is that if his helmet fits proportional to a normal human face. Than calculating only the circumferance to find a scale factor would work

...Any thoughts?

I have a question... and I admit I didn't read all 51 pages of this thread, so someone might have asked this already...

Couldn't the folks that create and/or unfold the pep files just create an additional piece that's simply a 'dummy' piece used as an easy scale tester?

I'm thinking that pep files for helmets, for example, could have a simple band that runs around the forehead level of the helmet wearer. This won't need to be ATTACHED to the armor geometry - it could be completely unconnected to the rest of the helmet... as long as it's where the user's head should be within the helmet.

If that piece was added to the pep helmet file, the user would only have to estimate his/her scale and then print out JUST this dummy piece. The user cut out the band and put it around his/her head. If it fits, the part is properly scaled... if it doesn't you need to adjust the scale by the amount you're off before printing all the rest of the pieces.

I know it means I bit of extra work for the pep file creators, but it seems INCREDIBLY useful for the end user for every little extra work for the file creators.

The modelers would just need to add one extra paper piece to their model (one that most easily would allow for checking the scale of the overall piece).

Suggested 'dummy scale-checking pieces' might be:
Hemlet = head circumference band
Gloves = palm width band
Boots = foot length band
Cod Piece = band around the waist
Arm Piece = Band that runs straight down from the shoulder to the elbow
Etc, etc, etc

Again, I hate to mention this if others have already asked, but this just seems like a very no-brainer way to make it MUCH easier to scale the armor.

Thanks,
Jonathan Douglas

Okay, so...I read earlier in this forum that someone around my size was using this scale:

" I'm 5 feet 6 inches (66 inches) I added +2 inches for a little breathing room.
Used the formula 68/86 x 30.342 = .7906976... etc....
.7906976 x 30.342 = 23.991348...etc... "

I am planning to pep my third helmet, a MKVI HD helm by flying squirrel. When I try to input the 23.99..etc scale, it says "Specify 1-2000 for assembled size"

What is this? Am I even scaling it correctly for the MKVI HD helm?

P.S. Yes I have read the scaling threads.

I'm running into some problems when scaling the MKVI thighs. I"m a thin guy but for some reason when I get the height correct the width and depth just barely fit up leg and back of the thigh rides too high. If I get the width and depth correct the height puts the back of the thigh to high into my rear. (not a comfortable experience) Any suggestions? Im 6'1" and relatively thin.

I have a question... and I admit I didn't read all 51 pages of this thread, so someone might have asked this already...

Couldn't the folks that create and/or unfold the pep files just create an additional piece that's simply a 'dummy' piece used as an easy scale tester?

I'm thinking that pep files for helmets, for example, could have a simple band that runs around the forehead level of the helmet wearer. This won't need to be ATTACHED to the armor geometry - it could be completely unconnected to the rest of the helmet... as long as it's where the user's head should be within the helmet.

If that piece was added to the pep helmet file, the user would only have to estimate his/her scale and then print out JUST this dummy piece. The user cut out the band and put it around his/her head. If it fits, the part is properly scaled... if it doesn't you need to adjust the scale by the amount you're off before printing all the rest of the pieces.

I know it means I bit of extra work for the pep file creators, but it seems INCREDIBLY useful for the end user for every little extra work for the file creators.

The modelers would just need to add one extra paper piece to their model (one that most easily would allow for checking the scale of the overall piece).

Suggested 'dummy scale-checking pieces' might be:
Hemlet = head circumference band
Gloves = palm width band
Boots = foot length band
Cod Piece = band around the waist
Arm Piece = Band that runs straight down from the shoulder to the elbow
Etc, etc, etc

Again, I hate to mention this if others have already asked, but this just seems like a very no-brainer way to make it MUCH easier to scale the armor.

Thanks,
Jonathan Douglas

That is an amazing idea. I have been trying to figure out how to make armour for like a year now..and have gotten no where. Simply because I have never been able to figure out the scaling, and when you work for many many hours trying to build a piece..only to find out it doesn't fit...it's really demotivating and makes me want to quit. But this band idea seems ingenius. Maybe for each piece though, add another band or so for other factors. Some people have different builds--Thin, "fluffy" [gabriel iglasius], muscular. So, maybe some aditional bands would be helpful so you could edit individual dimensions as opposed to the entire scale. Like, for the helmet--a head circumference band, and neck band, chest, length band, and circumference bands, and maybe arm bands, etc. Those are just my thoughts, I think this is an awesome idea. If I were a modeler, I would definitely try this, but, unfortunately, I'm not.

Second note: I noticed..this thread seems to only ever have questions. Many many questions, never any answers. It would be really helpful if Veteran armour makers, and people who have a good deal of positive experience with building armour and scaling would actually look at the thread and help us "noobs", to put it simply, out.

Thanks guys,
Kumori

Hey everyone. I'm brand new to the forums and am trying to do my homework before I start investing a lot of time into a project. Let me start off by saying that I'm 6'-7" with a medium to stocky build. I'm not joking when I say that I could probably wear Master Chief's armor 1:1 and it'd fit pretty comfortably. That being said, the scaling issue is something that could be a hit or miss problem for me.

My question is; are most pepakura unfolds created to the scale of the in-game character (example: Master Chief is about 7' tall in real life, so a pepakura unfold of his armor (if worn) should be about that size when printed out and constructed), or are the unfold files designed to fit to a regular-size human (approx 5'-6" to 6'-0")? If these are designed for a normal sized man, then I will actual need to scale UP the unfolds (which could be a problem, since scaling up could constitute a lot of reshuffling of pieces on the paper layouts, which I admit, is beyond my current knowledge). Does anyone have any answers to these questions. And better yet, does anyone know of any unfolds that would already be scaled pretty close to use for a guy of my size?

Thanks for the help. It is appreciated!

Hey folks, I've posted from time to time a few years ago, and now I'm back and hopefully I'll actually finish a suit of armor. What I want to start out with is CE MkV. It's relatively easy to do, seems it would be great to start with. I've only found the MOZ files though, and I'm having trouble scaling/printing them. What is the paper size it should be? Pepakura Designer defaults at Letter, as does my printer, when I go to print it says the two are different and asks if I want to change it, I say no and try manually. I've tried A4 and several others and nothing is working. I've printed it out at default settings and am afraid it won't work for me. Any suggestions on another set of files or what I'm missing?

My question is; are most pepakura unfolds created to the scale of the in-game character (example: Master Chief is about 7' tall in real life, so a pepakura unfold of his armor (if worn) should be about that size when printed out and constructed), or are the unfold files designed to fit to a regular-size human (approx 5'-6" to 6'-0")?
It depends on the unfolder but most of the time, it's the latter.

If these are designed for a normal sized man, then I will actual need to scale UP the unfolds (which could be a problem, since scaling up could constitute a lot of reshuffling of pieces on the paper layouts, which I admit, is beyond my current knowledge).
You pretty much answered your question.

And better yet, does anyone know of any unfolds that would already be scaled pretty close to use for a guy of my size?
The only armor piece that comes close to having a standard size is the helmet, which is usually sized at a height of 29 cm. The rest of the pieces are pretty much sized to the whim of the unfolder. So I suggest that you read the scaling tutorials available. They're pretty good anyway plus scaling your entire armor based on your height alone seldom works.

What is the paper size it should be? Pepakura Designer defaults at Letter, as does my printer, when I go to print it says the two are different and asks if I want to change it, I say no and try manually. I've tried A4 and several others and nothing is working. I've printed it out at default settings and am afraid it won't work for me. Any suggestions on another set of files or what I'm missing?
PD has two places where you can set the paper size and you need to make sure that they are consistent with each other. Otherwise, you will get the message that you've been seeing. Start by going to Settings-->Print and Paper Settings and choose Letter (since you're in the US). Then go to File-->Print and Paper Settings and choose Letter.

I've set it as Letter in both of those, as well as in the printer itself, still not doing anything. Any recommendations on other MkV files or another suggestion?

Hey everyone... im sorry to bother, but im in a bit of a predicament. Im working on my HD Mk.VI build, and i have the scale factor for the low d pieces, im 5' 8.75" so scale is 68.75 for low d pieces. When i peped my HD Chest, i took the low d height, subtracted 5mm and used that height for the new piece, it seems like itll fit perfectly. The bicepts, however, wont. I printed out a tester piece (low def bicep) scaled to 68.75 and it is huge, im not as muscular as the Chief so i figured itd be big, but its too tall, like twice my bicep. Im wondering how i would be able to scale the HD piece accordingly... i feel i must use the same method i used for my chest because it will all be scaled relevantly and look proportionate.

Hey everyone... im sorry to bother, but im in a bit of a predicament. Im working on my HD Mk.VI build, and i have the scale factor for the low d pieces, im 5' 8.75" so scale is 68.75 for low d pieces. When i peped my HD Chest, i took the low d height, subtracted 5mm and used that height for the new piece, it seems like itll fit perfectly. The bicepts, however, wont. I printed out a tester piece (low def bicep) scaled to 68.75 and it is huge, im not as muscular as the Chief so i figured itd be big, but its too tall, like twice my bicep. Im wondering how i would be able to scale the HD piece accordingly... i feel i must use the same method i used for my chest because it will all be scaled relevantly and look proportionate.

Unfortunately because not every HD file uses the same scale, you can't just transfer the scale numbers from LD to HD. Instead you need to copy down the Height, Width, and Depth from the LD file once you scale it correctly. Open up the HD file and then transfer the LD numbers. You won't get all three exactly the same but you should be able to get really close.

If that isn't working for you, go to Mroreo123's armor scaling tool thread. There is a great tool for scaling and directions on how to use it there. I've yet to go wrong with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back