Official pepakura scaling thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Redsleighdown said:
Has anyone thought about not scaling and just making a full size MC for display hmm?

Why not make 2 wearables and sell one? Same amount of glass, if not less, and Since we decided that a helmet unscaled and a shoe unscaled are about 2X the size of a normal human would we be looking at like 12' tall?

Is it possible to use Pepakura to measure the surface area of a scaled MC? I'm trying to estimate how much fiberglass I need.

Last edited by a moderator:
Frizzlefry said:
WARNING, THIS IS ONLY FOR FRAZ'S MJOLNIR PEP FILES. DON'T PM ME THAT SOME OTHER FILE DOESNT SCALE RIGHT, THATS NOT WHAT THIS IS MADE FOR.

Here we go peeps.

This should work for the most part, if you have a normal sized body like Chief it should work for sure. But if you are a bit chunky so to speak, or the oposite which would be a bit of a rail (aka, that sexy girl Sean Bradley ;-) ), you will probably want to change the sizing a bit more or less to make sure your limbs and chest fit.

I'm not getting behind the formula because it's a waste of time. It seems no one cares how the math works just as long as it works. So here's what you do.

Add up your height in inches. There is 12" to a foot. We'll use my hieght for the example. I am 5'11" which equals 71 inches.

Divide that by 86: 71/86 = .82558

Multiply that number times the scale it currently is, 30.342: 30.342*0.82558 = 25.04979

Now in Pepakura, go into 2dPatternWindow and select "Scale Up/Down by specifying value"

Under scale, put in the new scale (for this equazion its 25.04979). Do this for all of your pieces to be symmetrical.

One thing to keep in mind
The size of the scale that is in use before you edit it is from the base of the ground to the top outside of MC's helmet. You don't really want the top of your head to be touching the top of the inside of the helmet if you expect it to fit right. So you may want to add two or three inches to your actual hieght before doing the math. This may help other areas as well, where it could come through a bit tight.

Feel free to ask any questions about how it's done here. But I would appreciate it if the PM's for me to scale their armor for them would stop. If you can't do this math (we're not in school, you can use a calculator), I can't help you.

so if i were to do my head i would have to mesure my head from chin to top and do your formula right

Redsleighdown said:
Just though this may make some people's work a little easier.
If you have completed any pep armor pieces, please post telling if the armor was too big or small(also give your body measurements) and if you did any rescaling. No one-on-one discussions please.
Thanks
-Red
im in the prosses of mark v helmet and my head is 22 in and did nt now that hole only 18 in needs to cale up for big headed people

Hello People!

Im new here and i'll make my frist armor. i'ld like to know if anyone could help me. Im a 188cm tall and would like to know how much i have to put in every part o the armor, i have already downloaded Pepakura.

Please could anyone help a iniciate?

Thanks!

Frizzlefry said:
WARNING, THIS IS ONLY FOR FRAZ'S MJOLNIR PEP FILES. DON'T PM ME THAT SOME OTHER FILE DOESNT SCALE RIGHT, THATS NOT WHAT THIS IS MADE FOR.

Here we go peeps.

This should work for the most part, if you have a normal sized body like Chief it should work for sure. But if you are a bit chunky so to speak, or the oposite which would be a bit of a rail (aka, that sexy girl Sean Bradley ;-) ), you will probably want to change the sizing a bit more or less to make sure your limbs and chest fit.

I'm not getting behind the formula because it's a waste of time. It seems no one cares how the math works just as long as it works. So here's what you do.

Add up your height in inches. There is 12" to a foot. We'll use my hieght for the example. I am 5'11" which equals 71 inches.

Divide that by 86: 71/86 = .82558

Multiply that number times the scale it currently is, 30.342: 30.342*0.82558 = 25.04979

Now in Pepakura, go into 2dPatternWindow and select "Scale Up/Down by specifying value"

Under scale, put in the new scale (for this equazion its 25.04979). Do this for all of your pieces to be symmetrical.

One thing to keep in mind
The size of the scale that is in use before you edit it is from the base of the ground to the top outside of MC's helmet. You don't really want the top of your head to be touching the top of the inside of the helmet if you expect it to fit right. So you may want to add two or three inches to your actual hieght before doing the math. This may help other areas as well, where it could come through a bit tight.

Feel free to ask any questions about how it's done here. But I would appreciate it if the PM's for me to scale their armor for them would stop. If you can't do this math (we're not in school, you can use a calculator), I can't help you.
wat does the number 86 come from? is that like a magic number like pi? i tried this formula before and it worked perfectly but im just wondering how it works?

RedMation said:
hey thanks for the measurement. i can finally make my suit, and i bet im the shortest here. 5'4. woootage.
Im 5'1...you got owned at being......

I geuss it isn't that great being the shortest afterall....

Man, I suck at this, and the coffee just wore off. And I'm hungery...

I'm sitting here with Pepakura Viewer, and I can't figure out were anything is. It's already set to Letter size and everything fits on the paper, but I'm lost as how to scale it?

Like were to find which setting?

sxysweed said:
Man, I suck at this, and the coffee just wore off. And I'm hungery...

I'm sitting here with Pepakura Viewer, and I can't figure out were anything is. It's already set to Letter size and everything fits on the paper, but I'm lost as how to scale it?

Like were to find which setting?
You won't be able to do any scaling with Pepakura Viewer. You have to use Pepakura Designer for that.

We have a Q&A team to help you out. Under 2DPatternWindow - Scale Up/Down - put in value. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say you haven't read any stickies. That is based on other posts you've made saying you haven't read the thread. Good luck.

Edit - missed the pep viewer sorry.

I read somewhere that in pepakura designer, you can input height, width, and length. I found heigth easily enough, but not the other two. Ive been looking for a while, but i cant find where you but in width and length. Any help? please?

hey guy i know I'm not a noob, but i only have done the mark V by moz ad scaled it with cha man's scales and I'm doing the hd h3 one, and when i scale my mark V its like a speck on one sheet of paper so how do i scale the hd pep?

i am pretty new hear and i started my first helmet the otherday. I am making the halo 2 odst helmet and the original hight is about 29 cm. it is way too big for me i am thinking about scaling it down to about 24-25 cm. my head is a little over 23 in and im about 5' 10". can someone tell me if im on the right track.

im sorry but can somone actually scale pepfiles that are actually hd no offnce but i want armor that looks like its real not like a cardboard box

You can scale them yourself. Read the scaling stickies and look at the thread with the armor you want to build. Build the test pieces first to get the scale right/close. If all else fails, try the Q&A team. That's what we are here for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back