Official pepakura scaling thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
DeathStatus said:
wat does the number 86 come from? is that like a magic number like pi? i tried this formula before and it worked perfectly but im just wondering how it works?
86 inches. If you divide by 12 its the height of MC when he is wearing his armor.

Last edited by a moderator:
Im having trouble scaling my helmet. i did the math and then rounded up to 23 (instead of the defualt 32.w/e) and then it came out to be about the same size of the collectors helmet. i want it to be roomy and quite big, but not too big. is 28 going to be too big? what would you suggest for a 17 year old male. i'm around 5'4

ok so im knew and im in the middle of buying this pep-ware but i dont know sumthing, my head, isnt quite.....small.....its kinda big.....like using-the-last-hole-on-a-trucker-hat-and-it-still-barely-fits sized head.....maybe size 8.5 size fitteds....so how do i scale my helmet? :cry:

BC ER4 said:
ok so im knew and im in the middle of buying this pep-ware but i dont know sumthing, my head, isnt quite.....small.....its kinda big.....like using-the-last-hole-on-a-trucker-hat-and-it-still-barely-fits sized head.....maybe size 8.5 size fitteds....so how do i scale my helmet? :cry:
the cm bar type how tall your head is mine is 26 cm u probably 28-29

ahoy!

i have been reading on scaling for 4 days straight, ive gone thru all 16 pages of this thread, and i still have a few questions...BUT, i also have some helpful info that ive put together to help get some of my fellow newbies headed in the right direction.

first, the info. the formula and tutorial that Frizzle wrote is ONLY GOOD FOR FRIZZLE'S pieces. When i joined up, i read thru his tutorial and a couple of similar ones, and then went and got the pieces from the Halo Costuming Wiki's file page. after going thru and trying to rescale the pieces that i got, i found that there were different kinds of values entered in the scaling dialog box. THE FORMULA DOESNT WORK FOR ALL OF THOSE PIECES!!! i know, thats a big duh, because it actually lists the makers next to each piece. but i couldnt believe how many people were posting and reposting saying that the formula didnt work, when they didnt have the parts that it actually applied to. but youre in luck, because there is a thread for pretty much each individual makers parts, that will teach you how to scale everything...at least i think so...you just have to dig for them.

now, my questions...

has any one maker actually completed an HD version of the entire set of armor yet? i saw on the thread that had the compiled list of parts up for download, but i didnt see any one person that had completed an entire set.

also, ive seen three different kinds of values when i open up the scaling dialog box. A decimal value, a whole number of 86, and the 30.whatever that is the actual scale for the Chief as it relates to the real world. what are the differences between the decimal value and the 86 value? i read either earlier in this thread or in a related thread that you should enter your height in inches into the scaling dialog box if the default value shows as 86. I dont have a printer at home, ive been using my work printer, so i cant test this right now, but it looks to be good. Can anyone back this up or disprove this?

...and the edit came from my fingers spazzing out and posting this before i was done...

hey everyone try this out here is a link and a chart below.
http://www.tech-faq.com/convert-inches-to-centimeters.shtml

Convert Inches to Centimeters - Manually
This chart allows you to convert Inches to Centimeters manually. For example, using the chart below you can see that 21 inches is equal to 53.34 centimeters.

Inches - Centimeters

1 2.54
2 5.08
3 7.62
4 10.16
5 12.70
6 15.24
7 17.78
8 20.32
9 22.86
10 25.40
11 27.94
12 30.48
13 33.02
14 35.56
15 38.10
16 40.64
17 43.18
18 45.72
19 48.26
20 50.80
21 53.34
22 55.88
23 58.42
24 60.96
25 63.50
26 66.04
27 68.58
28 71.12
29 73.66
30 76.20
31 78.74
32 81.28
33 83.82
34 86.36
35 88.90
36 91.44
37 93.98
38 96.52
39 99.06
40 101.60
41 104.14
42 106.68
43 109.22
44 111.76
45 114.30
46 116.84
47 119.38
48 121.92
49 124.46
50 127.00

inches on the left and CM on the right . see if this helps

I made a major booboo on the forearms.

My wrist to outer elbow is about 27 cm

Which is what I started out with on the base PDO.

But then silly me.. I was focusing on the size of the inner wrist wondering how the hell id get my hand through.
It was 6cm across.

So then I upped the size to 30 wich made the wrist shape 7cm across, then it sill wasnt big enough for my wrist
And I wanted it at 8cm across.

So the height ended up being 34cm long..
I built it.. and .. it was HUGE!!!.

It fit my hand through... just.. and it was still within acceptable lenth for my elbow.
But I had 4 and 8 cm gaps either side of my elbow end.

I didnt think to keep to the outer wrist measurement and just trim down the inside to fit.. like you would with the helmet neck line.

I used Robogenisis's normal pdo's.

I cant use Fraz's because the gauntlet is part of the pdo file and theres no relyable way to assess size.

what do you guys do to scale forarms and biceps correctly..

You're right Moo...trim the inside of the forearm just like the helmet. If you don't, it'll fit someone twice your size. I'd meant to post this as I've never seen it mentioned. Got busy and forgot.

tlither said:
You're right Moo...trim the inside of the forearm just like the helmet. If you don't, it'll fit someone twice your size. I'd meant to post this as I've never seen it mentioned. Got busy and forgot.

lol.. well im glad I brought it up Take note you noobies. :p

this worked for like...one thing. I may be doing it wrong. when i put in the measurments the whole chest peace flying squirell. fit on 3 pages.

Frizzlefry said:
WARNING, THIS IS ONLY FOR FRAZ'S MJOLNIR PEP FILES. DON'T PM ME THAT SOME OTHER FILE DOESNT SCALE RIGHT, THATS NOT WHAT THIS IS MADE FOR.

Here we go peeps.

This should work for the most part, if you have a normal sized body like Chief it should work for sure. But if you are a bit chunky so to speak, or the oposite which would be a bit of a rail (aka, that sexy girl Sean Bradley ;-) ), you will probably want to change the sizing a bit more or less to make sure your limbs and chest fit.

I'm not getting behind the formula because it's a waste of time. It seems no one cares how the math works just as long as it works. So here's what you do.

Add up your height in inches. There is 12" to a foot. We'll use my hieght for the example. I am 5'11" which equals 71 inches.

Divide that by 86: 71/86 = .82558

Multiply that number times the scale it currently is, 30.342: 30.342*0.82558 = 25.04979

Now in Pepakura, go into 2dPatternWindow and select "Scale Up/Down by specifying value"

Under scale, put in the new scale (for this equazion its 25.04979). Do this for all of your pieces to be symmetrical.

One thing to keep in mind
The size of the scale that is in use before you edit it is from the base of the ground to the top outside of MC's helmet. You don't really want the top of your head to be touching the top of the inside of the helmet if you expect it to fit right. So you may want to add two or three inches to your actual hieght before doing the math. This may help other areas as well, where it could come through a bit tight.

Feel free to ask any questions about how it's done here. But I would appreciate it if the PM's for me to scale their armor for them would stop. If you can't do this math (we're not in school, you can use a calculator), I can't help you.

Hey I used this method and the helmet it produced was to small >.< any suggestions?

Also I did do the math correct but the opening for the helmet was to small not the helmet itself and I can't figure it out (I'm a noob =])

tlither said:
Did you use the JediFraz helmet? If not, there's your problem.

yes i did use the jedifraz helmet but it was still to small >.<
oh ya almost forgot i ended up just cutting off the opening for it to fit it doesnt look much different either so I dont mind Ill probably rebuild it anyways oh and btw anyone have a gauntlet pdo file i cant get a good one

Im having a problem... im using pepakura designer 2 and when i input my scale which is 25.696977, i think it scales it incorrectly. cuz i go to print preview and what happens is the rim takes up 2 pages and other parts cant fit on a single sheet of paper. any suggestions plz? im using the detailed mark VI helm from the pep wiki btw

Are you changing the scale or putting your figure into the assembled height? Assembled height is what you want.

Hi i'm totally new here and i've been looking at this pep stuff for a while now.
I have successfully made a frag grenade out of regular paper and i think it's a little big personally
i've tried scaling my assult rifle but it keeps coming out wierd
am i just putting it together wrong or scaling
also if anyone has the scaling for FS' models that would be very handy to know

Thanks

The grenades and weapons are scaled correctly. They seem bigger than in game but according to the wiki, they are correct. Scaling for FS's models. is different for everyone that builds them. Check his thread(s). I believe he makes some suggestions there.

OK so i decided to make a mid detail bicep, and I didn't scale, and now I would have to be the terminator style Arnold to wear it! so this time I wanted to make robogenious HD bicep what scale should i make it if my biceps from inner elbow to before the curve of the shoulder are 10in, also I'm about 6'2''

alright,
i decided to go all old school and make the mark V...i made the back of the chest piece first, scaling it using the equation...it seems small, but i'm not sure...anybody else build mark V and have advice before i continue building?

thanks,
owen

this topic was very helpful and i did end up scaling a helmet almost perfectly but it was about an inch and a half to small but thank you anyways

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back