Omg Another Buzz Bee Thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhiremanPhil

Rather then necroing another thread, gonna start another :p

I'm totally down with RegularGuy's Buzz Bee Plasma Blaster mod! I did indeed discover that the canadian Toys R Us do infact sell the plasma plasters, for about 18$ Can.

The thing is, establishing the fact that I am in Canada, Radio Shacks are non existent (as the were bought out by Circuit City years ago), so finding the neato LCD parts and chip boards is kind of difficult to attempt to replicate the counter the RegularGuy built.

Anyone have any suggestions for an alternative that might look just as good?

ya dude i posted up in the other thread about cdn toys r us. where i am they are $14, but thats not much difference.

If you go into a particularly small circuit city, for some reason they have all the stuff Radio Shack used to.

So I've been using RegularGuy's mod as inspiration, and removed the flashlight to build in a Mag Light holder, to which I assume it's not wired in, just held in. So What I"m thinking of doing is re-wirring a new LED (blue) in, with a button switch into one of the knob positions on the side, and using Mustang2500's counter graphic, probably printed on a over head plastic sheet, so i can activite the light, and displays the number. Seems simple, and sounds like it jus tmight work.

I just have no idea if I should even try to attempt to wire in the Mag light to work, I was playing around with the bulb, and i think it gets overloaded by the power supply. I have no idea...just throing out ideas.

Correct, the mini maglite is just held in place via friction. :)

I used an empty plastic toilet paper holder from K Mart as the Mini-maglite holder. One end of the holder is too wide, but the other end fits perfectly around the mini maglite but only about 1/4 inch in depth. I cut the 1/4 inch off and glued it into the larger end and voila, instant holder. I then secured the toilet paper holder in place using some nylon tie wraps and hot glue. I use nylon tie wraps to spot glue the holder first to get the positioning right. I made the mistake of hot gluing directly to the holder and it moved while the glue was setting.

I was going to use some type of transparency for the display, but the battery compartment made it difficult to get the angle just right for the LED. I would always get hot spots on my display (center too bright with dark edges). So I went with the 7 segment LED. I saw another build in which a transparency was used for the display, and the led was approximately 1 inch away to get the right effect.

I wanted to wire the mini maglite to an external switch, and I was thinking of using a "mini maglite switch" I saw on eBay so I wouldn't damage the mini maglite. Never got around to doing it though.

I'm not an electronics person so my setup is due to me not being able to figure out what resistor combination and circuit would power the entire gun (display, sound, and barrel lights) via a single 9 volt batt (mini maglite would always be powered by 2 AA).

THanks for watching my thread, RG!

Yeah not sure about the heat on the transparancy, but where I live up here in Canada, options ar elimited for components, so I might still go with the transparancy, but I might try mouting the LED below and reflecting it up somehow.

I also picked up some toilet paper rollers from the local hardware store, but the appear a tad too large. I might either use some duct tape on the inside to pick up the space, or I might try walmart....i'll see what my options are. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back