Operator Helm for Digital Camo suit

Status
Not open for further replies.
P1030713.jpg

P1030714.jpg

P1030715.jpg

Not too shabby for a 1st pull/mold. Just a little sanding and it will be all set for LEDS and painting!!!!!!!!!! Now back to the helmet!!!!!!

Ok so I wasn't done for the day......If you don't like double posts, blow me.

P1030716.jpg

P1030717.jpg

I cut the whole collar off so I can fit my head in. Now I'm going to make it out of foam and attach it with magnets so I can click in and out like a real helmet. Now to figure out the visor.....

Looking pretty sweet man. Glad the mold turned out nicely!

Edit: that makes 100 post haha

Thanks Bud.

I don't know WTF is up with me being at 122 posts AND completed a full set of armor, and I'm still not an Infantryman......If one more thing goes stupid with this site I'm quitting. I hate places that don't keep their **** up.

This is looking great Doc! I love the process you used to make your mold!

As far as the site conditions go, I know it's asking a lot of people, but try to be patient. We only have one active admin who currently has his hands full with this malware issue. On top of that, he was working on a bit of a site reconstruction, so that's underway, but on hold at the moment. And, it's not like he's a paid employee of the site, all of the site leaders are volunteers.

I'm looking forward to seeing more of this! Keep up the good work.

Nah, that'll be favouritism and elitism. I've seen a good handful of absolutely stellar partially-complete (and completed) builds go under the radar because the main staff responsible for promotion were too busy drooling over other things.

I'll give you credit, Carpathia - you get stuff done. My problem isn't with you, or even most of the staff - but this has been an on-going problem for a long time, now. On and off, this has been the sole, recurring complaint that has cropped up and it's lead to some very talented builders and contributors becoming disillusioned with the site management and leaving because they're not getting the credit they deserve for their work. Your signature reflects this quite well, I believe.

Regardless: Doc quite obviously knows his stuff and I, for one, think it's unfair that such a talented member has to stay stuck here in the Noob Forum despite showing such promise. I vote to have this project moved to the Creation Discussion Forum where it belongs - if I understand correctly, you yourself have this power as a moderator.

Carpathia and PaigeMaster,

I didn't mean to make a stink, and I like to think I'm a patient guy, but the squeaky wheel gets the lube. Only having 1 admin for the entire site, I think, is WAY too much for any one person. I didn't know there was just 1 guy till just a few minutes ago. But he should promote some people to help.....It's not a job, so hire some free help. Neglect builds up. If the staff can't keep up with it either recruit more or let the 405th rust out. I started all this without the help of the 405th because they shut off the join option a little while ago. I was fully prepared to go to public events and talk **** about the 405th because they wouldn't let me join and they obviously don't know how to run their only site. I just happened to try again 3 months later and got on.

Carpathia- You've been very professional and timely with any help or comments I've asked of you. For your part you've represented the way I imagined the community. Thank you very much. Paige is right about your signature quote, but thems the breaks.

PaigeMaster- Thank you for the vote of confidence. It's members like you that make me feel like I'm apart of something worthwhile.

I won't mention this again and I'll go back to posting like usual. My appologies for this side rant. Pics to follow tomorrow, just gotta let the bondo dry :)

Respectfully,

PS: I just got my infantryman rank! Thanks guys. It's the little things that restore faith.

I vote to have this project moved to the Creation Discussion Forum where it belongs - if I understand correctly, you yourself have this power as a moderator.

I do have the ability to do that, but I'll be honest, the NOOB forum gets a lot more attention than the Creation Discussion forum does, I don't know why. To make matters worse, the Pepakura/Cardboard sub-forum, burried in the Creation Discussion sub-forum gets even less attention (which, unfortunately is where my thread resides). Fixing little problems like this is part of the site reconstruction that Spase is/was working on before the malware issue. Doc, I would be more than happy to move your thread over to the Creation Discussion forum, but there are two down-sides to that. One, as mentioned before, you may end up getting less attention, and two, once a thread is moved, the author loses the ability to change the thread title (I'm not sure why this occurs either, but Thorn had his thread moved and has lost the ability to change his thread title to reflect his finished status). If you can live with those, let me know and I'll move it for you, not a problem at all as you obviously have the talent to be out of the NOOB forum.

PS: I just got my infantryman rank! Thanks guys. It's the little things that restore faith.

I've actually noticed that there are a few people who are being promoted. It has been a while and I think it has something to do with the move back to the general VBulletin page layout. It, however, was a necessary change since there was a few annoying errors (this was before I was a moderator though, so I'm not 100% on that). I'll have to look around at other members, because I think there are still a few with well over 200 or 300 posts who have not been promoted yet.

Also, I agree that having only one active administrator is a mistake. I would talk to Spase and request that role myself, but my admin knowledge is pretty limited for now.

Anyway, sorry for gumming up your thread, back to your build!

Edit: I actually figured out what it was that made you an infantryman. The requirements for infantryman are 120 posts, and 90 days as an active member. Today is your 90th day as a member!

Last edited by a moderator:
UPDATE:

I ran out of time today for my final sanding before I prime it again to make sure everything looks all nice and pretty, but here is where I'll pick up tomorrow:
P1030719.jpg

P1030718.jpg

The googles have been sanded but I need to drill the lenses out. I made it a bit too think there so I'm going to have to figure out how to remove all that material. Yes the goggles are just a tad warped. The original is the same.......Dammit. The good news is unless you look straight down onto the helmet you can't tell. I'll probabley just add some super sculpy and fill the gap nicely if it drives me too nuts. At least there is room for improvement :)

P1030720.jpg

P1030721.jpg

PS: the lighting makes it look more warped than it is in reality. Just an fyi.

Hot dang, that's some darned fine work there. I wish I'd had the decent weather recently to work on my own Operator helmet; you're putting me to shame.

Hot dang, that's some darned fine work there. I wish I'd had the decent weather recently to work on my own Operator helmet; you're putting me to shame.

Get your ass in gear! I want to see yours dammit! :)

dang this is very AWESOME! O_O keep the great work

Thank you :)

UPDATE:

Done sanding....I think. Time for the mold!!!
P1030722.jpg

P1030723.jpg

P1030724.jpg

P1030727.jpg

P1030728.jpg

P1030729.jpg

P1030730.jpg

Not too shappy. I think getting a mirror sheen out of gloss black primer is pretty good :)

I won't start on the mold till tomorrow. Do you guys want to see WIP pics or just the final product?

Get your ass in gear! I want to see yours dammit! :)

Believe me, if the rain would let up for half an hour I'd be out there taking advantage of it. I may invest in a small canopy/marquee and an outdoor heater, so I can work at least on sanding during the winter (assuming we can't get the shed ready before then).

That's some nice work again - I'd only critique that the back detail may need a little sharpening out, but other than that, that's some stellar work.

I'd only critique that the back detail may need a little sharpening out, but other than that, that's some stellar work.

Thanks, yeah that back section will prob get a little dremel action. It didn't help that the camera wasn't in focus, heh.

The molding has BEGUN!!!

P1030731.jpg

P1030732.jpg

P1030733.jpg

P1030734.jpg

I just don't have any of the thickener for the Rebound 25. I don't know if it's ok to keep going without it, but we'll find out.

UPDATE:

Original and Copy waiting for LEDs:
P1030738.jpg

I did 2 more layers of non-thickened rebound 25:
P1030735.jpg

P1030736.jpg

P1030737.jpg

Then I finally got some Thi-Vex and thickened that stuff up to this:

P1030739.jpg

P1030740.jpg

Big difference. I won't bother taking more pics until I get the mother mold going. I can't wait to be done with this. LoL.

DBmike, Adm. T, and Driz - Thanks guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back