Pacific Rim!! discussion (Possible spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Big issue number one:
"50,000 feet to impact" jaeger starts burning from reentry.
Excuse Me?!?
the jaeger wouldn't do that!

Number 2:
"plasma cannon charging" pull plugs from CONTROL CONSOLES to shut down ROBOT
HUH?!?
that wouldn't do a thing!

pet peeves aside,
Gipsy Danger= Like. A. Boss.
anyone notice how much it looks like a 40K Space Marine?
still, really awesome. I have always been fascinated by power armor and mecha. and Jaeger is a really cool name.

ok a little bit of a nerd post but would you guys like to see a Master chief Jager?

my answer YES!!

Big issue number one:
"50,000 feet to impact" jaeger starts burning from reentry.
Excuse Me?!?
the jaeger wouldn't do that!

reentry at 10 miles in the sky? The reason planes don't start burning is they fly. a 250 foot 5000000lb robot would not fly and would start burning because of its size when it dropped.

Number 2:
"plasma cannon charging" pull plugs from CONTROL CONSOLES to shut down ROBOT
HUH?!?
that wouldn't do a thing!

it's a test run. They're testing the systems and monitering the pilots. They wouldn't be running on combat power, they'd be running on a direct link. It's exactly what I do at work when testing, you don't use the default power source you use your own power source. Less chance of damaging the systems and removes some variables for testing. The better question is why a weapon that runs on ammo ("EMPTY THE CLIP!") would be loaded for a test.

an even better question is why they need a head at all. Why not stick the con pod behind several layers of armor to prevent exactly what happened to Crimson Typhoon and Cherno Alpha.

The other good question is why, since they clearly can refurbish jaegers, and not all jaegers were lost at sea (like the one that is shown crashed in a stadium) why they aren't refurbing jaegers instead of building new ones and just swarming the kaiju. I mean all the Mark 1s (besides cherno) had to be decommissioned because of their lack of radiation shielding for the pilots, but that doesn't mean the mark 2s and 3s couldn't be refurbed and used to swarm.

Also I'm totally looking for pep files...I'm trying to decide which one to make...

I mean Cherno has the head underneath it's big steam pipe hump, so I'd be stuck walking like igor all day if I made that one, Crimson typhoon would require making a manequinn arm, Gypsy danger is just so...generic looking...but at the same time striker eureka looks even worse. And coyote tango has a cool torso but silly legs...

Still I was thinking of maybe making it like Thorssolli made his space marine squad: since I'm 6' 5" just get some painter stilts and be an 8 foot tall Jaeger at the cons. It wouldn't even really be that hard, they're all pretty simple design wise because they're big metal plates with pistons and whatnot in the joints.

I mean Cherno has the head underneath it's big steam pipe hump, so I'd be stuck walking like igor all day if I made that one, Crimson typhoon would require making a manequinn arm, Gypsy danger is just so...generic looking...but at the same time striker eureka looks even worse. And coyote tango has a cool torso but silly legs...

See, if I can someday make Cherno, I'd just have my own head in the "hump" instead of trying to match it with the "head" in the design. Like the curvy part coming down would be sitting on my shoulders. Then the "head" would just be decorative.

See, if I can someday make Cherno, I'd just have my own head in the "hump" instead of trying to match it with the "head" in the design. Like the curvy part coming down would be sitting on my shoulders. Then the "head" would just be decorative.

Yes my gf suggested something similar...my concern there is that I'd be stuck looking out of the slit between the faces of the hump...or else I'd need to vacuform the hump out of clear plastic and then somehow paint it but still allow it to be see through...I don't have access to something like that right now unfortunately :(

Yes my gf suggested something similar...my concern there is that I'd be stuck looking out of the slit between the faces of the hump...or else I'd need to vacuform the hump out of clear plastic and then somehow paint it but still allow it to be see through...I don't have access to something like that right now unfortunately :(

It will be an insanely top-heavy piece no matter how its done by anybody. I was thinking some thin mesh painted the same color as the outside of the hump might allow see-through without being too obvious. The problem with doing jaeger armor will be that they weren't designed with human anatomy in mind, so getting the armor to fit your body structure will be a challenge.

It will be an insanely top-heavy piece no matter how its done by anybody. I was thinking some thin mesh painted the same color as the outside of the hump might allow see-through without being too obvious. The problem with doing jaeger armor will be that they weren't designed with human anatomy in mind, so getting the armor to fit your body structure will be a challenge.

I could see mesh netting, like on a blackout mask, being useful...and to be fair Del Toro has actually said that both the kaiju and the jaegers were designed so you could "see the guy in the suit" as it were...

The things that's really got me stuck is how to make the counter-revolving ring in gypsy's chest in a compact form. I was thinking something like a computer fan motor and a series of disks with LED strips on the edge to give it the "glowing turbine" look

I could see mesh netting, like on a blackout mask, being useful...and to be fair Del Toro has actually said that both the kaiju and the jaegers were designed so you could "see the guy in the suit" as it were...

The things that's really got me stuck is how to make the counter-revolving ring in gypsy's chest in a compact form. I was thinking something like a computer fan motor and a series of disks with LED strips on the edge to give it the "glowing turbine" look

you could try something like this for the lights
http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/showthread.php?t=26977

check the photobucket link (first post) you could slow the timing and arrange them in a circle an maybe it'll work

something like this may help with seeing http://www.therpf.com/f24/ironman-m...beam-body-work-paint-option-leg-hinge-178888/

I've been trying but I haven't been able to get a decent 3d model of gipsy danger, so I'm trying to scratch build it but it's really tough...

Dude how about you try to rip the 3d models from the "build your jager" promotional applet on the official site?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back