Props Paint stripping problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akademee

Now this post maybe not as related to other armor projects I have going, but surely someone can help me with this paint problem of mine!

Recently, I purchased over 50+ Space Marines with dreadnoughts, tanks, and bikes for dirt cheap. The only catch was that they were already painted, and quite horribly, might I add. I knew this going in so I am not complaining, but I have run into a bit of a snag.

Through research on t3h internets I managed to strip the paint completely off the models to huge success. Some of these models had, literally, a solid millimeter of paint on them. But I have run into a layer that exists on some of the models that refuses to budge. I have tried Simple green, oxy-clean, Super clean, and purple power (this being the best) and it just does not come off. It is incredibly thick and hard on these models with an almost epoxy-like texture to it. I have reason to believe this is a primer, which is on top of another primer (don't ask) on some of the models, other times it is by itself.

Are there any super-resilient model paints out there? If so, how can I get rid of them?

Thanks,
Akademee

Acetone works great! the only problem is that it melts the model underneath, I believe that most nail polish removers have this compound in them and the ones labeled as no-acetone are just alcohol, which this paint also laughs at...

the acetone softens the plastic on contact, any use of it destroys detail and after prolonged use, it begins to embed paint chips into the plastic itself, it is a fantastic way to ruin hundreds of dollars worth of games Workshop products. the plastic also stays softened after the acetone is washed away allowing for further damage to the models.

I have heard that some painters use sandblasting equipment with baking soda instead of sand, and they swear by it. A little expensive to get started, but in the long run it would be worth it. They say it takes the paint completely off in a couple of passes, and doesn't do a thing to the actual surface.

I know that the guys who restore old model cars use Easy off oven cleaner and it don't melt the plastic, you may want to look into it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back