Paper Mache Armour Hardener

Status
Not open for further replies.

PunisherX

Jr Member
is there any way i can use paper mache' to harden my armour?? ( i searched the site like crazy!)
news paper, and white glue +water= hard??

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm, I did an Iron Man helm way back last year with paper mache, turned out well, still strong now though flexible, maybe you can add a bit of resin to it???

Like this:
-Layer one, armor
-Layer two - five, paper mache (newspaper and glue)
-Layer three, Resin???

centerside said:
Hmmm, I did an Iron Man helm way back last year with paper mache, turned out well, still strong now though flexible, maybe you can add a bit of resin to it???

Like this:
-Layer one, armor
-Layer two - five, paper mache (newspaper and glue)
-Layer three, Resin???

but is it still hard enough?

You mean the helm I made? if so, it's still hard, but flexes a bit, good enough for some marine armor, but I don't think a Master Chief armor will hold... I used to try making an armor paper mache stye, some of these days I'll try that hehe.

centerside said:
You mean the helm I made? if so, it's still hard, but flexes a bit, good enough for some marine armor, but I don't think a Master Chief armor will hold... I used to try making an armor paper mache stye, some of these days I'll try that hehe.

well im working on a mark V helm so i want to try that, what if i put a few layers of paper mache'???? will it hard enough

I tried using Paper Mache on a test helmet and it warped REALLY badly.
If you try this, you have to get the Glue to Water ratio perfect; too much water and it'll warp, too much glue and I'm guessing something bad will happen but I'm not sure what :p

If you sucessfully do this, please upload the ratio you used; I'd be very interested in knowing it!

I used a 1:1 ratio, so maybe a 1:2 (Water:Glue) ratio? I'm not sure...

Paper mache would only be strong as a pinata. I would prefer resin, really it's not that expensive. ( at walmart)

The helmet would be warped or well i never tried, but i've seen a paper mache helm. did look so good. Plus after you paper mache what are you going to do, sand it, wouldn't be really thin, and if you bondo it, it willl just be a waste because your dealing with a toxic thing, like fiberglass.

If i were you i wouldn't use paper mache

if you were to use several layers of papermache and cut out the water (as this will undoubtedly warp your pep) just go with pva glue/craft glue/wood glue it should hold but if your wanting a nicely finished piece id really go for resin and fibreglass if thats not an option...

.....use newspaper soaked in glue and layer it in small pieces inside 1 layer at a time let the first layer dry then repeat layering till its sturdy from my experience in art college/ uni id say this method would just about work. Hope that helps

=Ω24= Leyton said:
I tried using Paper Mache on a test helmet and it warped REALLY badly.
If you try this, you have to get the Glue to Water ratio perfect; too much water and it'll warp, too much glue and I'm guessing something bad will happen but I'm not sure what :p

If you sucessfully do this, please upload the ratio you used; I'd be very interested in knowing it!

I used a 1:1 ratio, so maybe a 1:2 (Water:Glue) ratio? I'm not sure...

ill tell you the ratio when im done, so thanks!

I read a thread somewhere here where someone used plaster, or some other water-based mixture, and it warped his helmet pretty badly. I think, unless you brace the bajesus out of it, paper mache will do the same thing. I haven't actually gotten to the resining stage yet, so someone feel free to contradict me.

carpathiavh99 said:
I read a thread somewhere here where someone used plaster, or some other water-based mixture, and it warped his helmet pretty badly. I think, unless you brace the bajesus out of it, paper mache will do the same thing. I haven't actually gotten to the resining stage yet, so someone feel free to contradict me.

yah you guys are probably right ill just try the hot glue method or ill just reinforce with cardboard.

I know that this is a kind of old topic, but I wanted to put in my two cents. For my entire suit I used a paper mache of paper bags and Elmer's white glue. As it has been said many times, DO NOT use water. It will warp your piece. When finished, I found the suit to be hard, although it may tear in the long run. I have found this to be a small issue. Hope this helps someone in the long run.

I have used this method, but there are some catches.

The one I use is about 50% flour and 50% water. But try to get more flour than water, but try to get 50-50.

But here's a catch...Make sure there arent ANY animals that are always on the lookout for food. Unfinished Paper Mache Armor WILL GET DESTROYED!!!

my name is unknown said:
is there any way i can use paper mache' to harden my armour?? ( i searched the site like crazy!)
news paper, and white glue +water= hard??

paper mache is very good and strong, but i t doesn't keep the details... so all that hard work on small crevaces with your helmet would be gone... i'm not saying don't try it, it could work i've never done that myself... but all those elementry school projects in paper mache never really ended up with high detail sculptures XD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back