Pdxhosedragger's 1st Pep Project Wip...

Status
Not open for further replies.

PdxHosedragger

I should have been doing this posting as I went, so this first section will be a bit of 'catch up' and will be updated frequently...

I love Halloween. I also happen to love Halo. So after many days of surfing the web I stumbled across this gem of a website and got hooked with every posting I read. I pretty much drove right to the store to get the basic supplies to start folding paper. I thought I'd try a different route to achieve the same product and failed quite miserably. First off, instead of going straight to hot glue, I used the permanent version of the double sided tape in a dispenser that scrap bookers use. While being very strong and flexible, my initial test coat of resin completely destroyed its bond and left id falling apart before the resin could cure. I then switched to an old standby. I build r/c airplanes and choppers, and use thin cyanoacrylite adhesive (thin super glue) because of it's ability to penetrate into a joint. This was awesome except that it also wicked into the creases of the paper rendering the folds locked permanently in whatever angle they were in during gluing. Boo.

So after doing the crown and visor section of the Flying Squirrel version with super glue I switched to hot glue. This of course was after building a low res bucket that could have fit Andre the Giant. I learned about scaling pretty quick after that! So here are some photos of my progress so far... Please comments, especially tips, tricks and advice are always welcome.

This is the portion of the helmet that I used super glue. It was really too rigid. I had to put additional bracing inside during resining to ensure it stayed straight.

Photos013.jpg

Photos042.jpg

Several coats of resin later:
Photos024.jpg

I used a remarkably small amount of Bondo. I used a lot of resin in some of the flat parts, minimizing the amount of Bondo needed and where I put it. I also use an x-acto to trim the paper smooth in some places prior to resin. This all seemed to speed the process up.
Photos008.jpg

Primer and spot putty. OK, a LOT of spot putty.
Photos047.jpg

I've always thought that gray primer had more build and was easier to sand so I switched at this point...
Photos002.jpg

Painted with the base coat and with the visor just sitting in there. This alerted me to yet another problem. I did not have the visor on hand during my pep and resin process, so the nose piece was pointed back a little too far, keeping the visor from hitting the frame tightly all the way around. A hacksaw cut and some putty remedied that but it still sucks cutting into new paint!
Photos037.jpg

The helmet needs finishing touches. More to come, thanks for looking!

awesome work, i hope my helmet looks like that. im using the same pep model, but i think ill have to redo it i have some serious problems getting the lowest back piece to go on without extreme warping

A fellow PDXer. I live in SE! I just trooped my CQB at the Portland Comic Book show at Memorial Coliseum this past weekend. Welcome, and nice work. We should hook up on the HALO armor!

Outstanding work!
Btw, is "Pdx" in your nick somehow connected to "Product Data Exchange"? :)
WBR

I hate you LOL

your first project and your using a if im right a HD helmet not to mention it came out damn fabulous i wish i was that good

Keep it up!

Thanks for the positive comments folks. It's nice to have it for motivation, and even with Halo-ween 2009 being 11 months away I'll still need all the time I can put in.
Yes, Rev, I am planning on doing LED's in the helmet as well as backlighting a display on the AssaultRifle I hope to build. I also have a fan on order to cool my brain bucket and aid in defogging the visor. The fan is 1.5" x 1.5" x .5" and should fit facing upwards in the lowest part of the chin. I'll have to dremel cut out a square and put in some sort of mesh or screen. I work as a professional firefighter, and the inside of our SCBA masks have silicone a 'nose cup' to direct C02 away but also diverts incoming fresh air from the regulator across the faceshield first to aid in defogging. I hope to employ something like this in the mask, space and time permitting.

I had a little warping too. I fixed it by building a symmetrical substructure of popsicle sticks to hold the whole thing rigid while I resined it. There was also an awful twist that I had to take out using some twine at oppsite corners pulling the twist out while I resined. The other minor warps (seems like this version is notorious for a concave warp near the mid-back of the jawline) were easily fixed with a little bondo.

PDX stands officially for Portland International Airport, or loosely Portland, Oregon where I live. It's nice to see that there are other locals doing this too Firestorm!

As I stared at my helmet I thought that maybe I could paint it fire engine red to match our rigs, and put a white stripe down the helmet and at accents on the armor and flashing red and blue LED's, maybe bending the knee guards, toe cups and shoulders out of diamondplate... Yes I am a geek. And I know it would be venturing away from purist Halo authenticity but it would get a great response at our bureau haloween party. Here's a photo of a barbeque I built themed after our fleet. Maybe trim it out sort of along these lines perhaps?
Any thoughts or opinions on taking this route?

traegerfrt.jpg

traegerbak.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
OMG I can see it now... Master Chief... the FIREFIGHTER!!

Dude I personally think that would look utterly amazing. Paint like a firetruck, put in red and blue LED's, possibly hook up a speaker to make the siren. Then all you would need was an assault rifle that was an actual watergun!

ERADICATORofDTH said:
OMG I can see it now... Master Chief... the FIREFIGHTER!!

Dude I personally think that would look utterly amazing. Paint like a firetruck, put in red and blue LED's, possibly hook up a speaker to make the siren. Then all you would need was an assault rifle that was an actual watergun!
make two halo psitols formed around little water pistols.

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, so apparently nobody seems to mind the idea. I get mixed opinion from the 7 other guys on my shift at work. It may end up having to be a second suit... Or perhaps a new permutation? I'm personally having trouble deciding myself...

I think it would come out killer, but my work isn't perfectly smooth so an automotive finish would look crappy. That's the whole reason I went with matte camo green to begin with. Flat or Matte pains tend to hide imperfections better. But......... I'm an accomplished metal worker, body worker and pretty creative so who knows. In 11 months you might be seeing the first Spartan assigned to fire protection.

Looks like you've done a very good job on the bucket. I'll be looking for more from you. Keep it up!

Very nice work on the helmet. You learned everything from trial and error but it surely paid off!

I love the Firefighter paintjob idea, you can get "burn patterns" on your armor by using a battle damage technique ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back