Pep Strengthening Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

patriclees

I'm starting the MkVI tonight in hopes to have it done by Halloween (unlikely, but I'll try). My parents just informed me that Fiber-glassing is out of the question until my dad gets back in December. Does anyone know of any way that I can reinforce this enough to the point to where I can actually wear it without it falling apart? This first suit is just for practice. I'm not expecting it to look anything like Adam's work. I just want it to where I can safely wear it and possibly even have the ability to sit down in it without it coming apart.

if you guys have any ideas or anything, it is much appreciated. thanks

Aqua resin is a non toxic (safe) alternative to resin/fiberglass. This didn't need to be a thread. The Q&A team could have helped you with this.

A lot more expensive than fiberglass or aquaglass or whatever they're called, but I saw thorsolli (I think I spelled it wrong) use casting resin to fill in where fiberglass normally goes.

Hope I coulda been helpful.

-Chupa

There is my hot glue method, but you better know what you are doing and do it carefully, people PM me hate messages saying my method @#$%^ their pieces, but their pictures show they rushed and globbed hot glue on and over weighed the entire piece until it warped. It's cheap, but doing a whole entire suit in hot glue sticks may get expensive. Maybe...300-400 dollars?

Bad thing is, what is strengthening the outside? Nothing! That's why resin and fiberglass is always #1 for all armor jobs. Aqua resin works too, but it takes time for it to be shipped to your door, plus it's expensive.

You may be more interested in cardboard until fiberglassing becomes an option. Pep isn't going to live through sitting down or staying together on a long Halloween trek without proper support. Cardboard is free, can look great and will allow sitting and be durable enough to wear for several hours at a time. Plus, it's free minus the glue or resin you use and paint.

Cheers,
Kensai

Ps: As said before use the Q&A Team if you have any future questions.

Like Kensai said - cardboard is another option. Resin will make the pep more rigid but doesn't add any real strength. The Q&A team is your friend.

I have tried the cardboard method and can say that it works very well!! What I did was cut the cardboard into the exact shapes of the pepakura pieces and then hot glued them onto the inside of the helmet, with a very high strength to weight ratio! It's very cheap and provides a very high strength factor when it comes to impacts and abuse. If you decide not to use aqua resin, I would recommend either carboard or hot glue. Good luck!! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back