Pepakura Vs Scratch Built

Status
Not open for further replies.

sporgo

Hello everyone.

I am new to this forum but not new to costume and prop building. I was not even aware of the existence of Pepakura. Anyone starting out with pep models has it easy in my opinion. Even if you screw up the scale and have to build the model over several times you are still not investing the massive amounts of time and effort necessary to scratch build from nothing. I wish I had found out about this program sooner, It lets you accomplish in hours what would take days or weeks otherwise. I am looking forward to turning out some very nice pieces using this new building aid.

well, this is true sometimes, and not true the other times. But.....this is better said to yourself, then said on the forums and taking up bandwidth. we are happy you found it, but id suggest locking this topic. sorry dude. lol just looking out for the forums best interests. and I would have put this in the pep and cardboard armor discussion part of the forums.....but that's just me.

^ or no section at all. Took the words right out of my mouth. Good luck, but tell us about it in your WIPs thread :)

Ummmm OK. This is the general discussion forum where usually it is ok to post random discussion topics last time I checked. I don't think my text post with no attachments is really going to hog up the bandwidth.

lets not fight, or get mad dude, there is no reason for it. I was simply sating my opinion. The only reason I said that is because, It is not a question that people can answer, or a statement that people can elaborate on and discuss. sorry for any bad feelings you are getting.

The one thing I don't like about PEP is that either your armor looks just like everyone else's, or it's underdetailed.

A bit of a shame really. Most people choose pep to go the easy route....and then they RUSH THE EASY ROUTE!

I mean, wtf?

Scratchbuilt armor is rare to come buy nowadays, but it's much more cooler for me. It allows artistic license and a certain degree of freedom. Also, you can make it out of ANYTHING. From the professional methods of Molding from clay and casting in resin to the cheap and clever cardboard road.

Ever since PEP came up, WIP armor topics have kinda bleeded together into the same thing.

Just going to add this quote of Sean because I think it's one of the best summations of the pep process I've read.

Sean Bradley said:
... Pepakura is a process, not a destination. It is the base that you build overtop of. Any end result is possible...

Using my own helmet as an example:

3761308262_947ac15eb3_m.jpg 3760509729_f97861e3c6_m.jpg

That technically is/was pepakura and I don't think it looks the same as anyone else's or is under-detailed ;)

Personally I don't care how people make something, it's the end result that matters not the process that was used to get there... within reason of course, there are those areas I don't like, such as recasting or using someone else's work to build on top of (without permission, if the creator is okay then it's cool) but that's a whole 'nother topic.

That's just my opinion though.

In any case I think it's good to see as many people building things as there are right now, even if it's not uber accurate or super detailed, everyone has to start somewhere right? :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Gearsofhalo said:
well, this is true sometimes, and not true the other times. But.....this is better said to yourself, then said on the forums and taking up bandwidth. we are happy you found it, but id suggest locking this topic. sorry dude. lol just looking out for the forums best interests. and I would have put this in the pep and cardboard armor discussion part of the forums.....but that's just me.

His comment clocks in at 593 BYTES. Your snarky comment about saving bandwidth came in at 3,276 bytes when you include your user picture. So while chiding someone about wasting bandwidth (as insignificant as these amounts are) you used nearly SIX times as much.

the_more_you_know2.jpg

Oh and welcome to the forums Sporgo. I too was giddy as a school girl to find out about Pep, but you'll soon learn that there are bigger and better ways of building armor. Root through the archives of the forum to find all the little tips and tricks to saving time and optimizing your work flow.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sorry sporgo, yodajammies was correct, I was a bit snarky, my bad. I should not have been so mean. Welcome to the forums, and have a good time. Working in pep is really fun, and usually everyone likes it. again, sorry! lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back