Planned Armor Modifications (Radacal Modifications!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guy's. I would post this thread in the creation discussion forum but as you can all see, I'm a newbie and can't. I posted some idea's a while ago and would like to know what the rest of you guys here at the 405th think. (I just copied and pasted these) My first idea:

Ok, As i was working on my pepakura, i was talking to my friend about how it would be cool to have an actual night-vision mode for my helmet, kind of like in halo 3:ODST. Then I figured: Why not?!?! I remembered a youtube video i saw about how to make very inexpensive infrared goggles. what they do is filter light and let u c the infrared spectrum. Then I remembered something else i saw: a flashlight attachment that filters the light and changes it from visable light to light only able to b seen on with night vision goggles (the infrared spectrum) i thought "Why no do the same with an ODST helmet?" To make the infrared goggles costs like 5-10 bucks and the flash-light filter is 20 dollars (a little expensive but w/e :/ ) and the actual flashlight itself is 20 also. here are the links for the video with the goggles and the link for the filter. Btw, in the video, he uses welder goggles, but i plan on doing something else. i have been planning it out for a while now and will test it on my own and let u guys know l8r.

The Goggles:

The Filter:

http://shop.ehobbyas...flashlight.html

I know it says in the video that it won't allow u to c IR LED's but in my opinion LED's are different than a filter. I'm going to expirement and let u guys know.

Ok, so with this in mind, look at my next idea:

ok, i think i know wut ur talking about. a visor that is clear but u can press a button and it becomes mirrored, right? I really hope that is what you want, cuz i'll have posted this long post for nada :) if it isn't, please still read through it and tell me what you think, thanks :)

i've been planing to do something like that for a ODST helmet i want to build and have been thinking it out. my plan? make a visor out of this stuff (thats clear):

http://www.amazon.co...55303390&sr=8-5

From what I understand it is flexible and should work well, and if u need a very specific shape, u can take a heat gun, set it to like 200 degrees (idk if thats correct, i assume thats wut u do with heat guns from wut i've read/seen. u might want to look into it more since i'm not that far and havnt found it necesary to study to the tiniest detail.) anyways, have a resined mold for the visor if u want a very specific shape and have it placed on a flat surface. with the heat-gun, heat up a pre-cut square that will fit over the resined mold with 4-5 extra inches for like 30 seconds to a minute. afterwards, place it over the molded visor to get your clear visor. cut it and place it inside the helmet once its solidified. it will be solid and hold its shape, but still be flexible :) now, for the drop-down part. this can be done in a couple ways. there is a cool way with some work ahead and a not-so-cool way that will still look good. u can get a gold mirrored motorcycle visor from here:

http://www.helmetset...oduct_id=rst-19

now, cut out the shape that you want from the visor. to make sure you don't damage it, follow this tutorial. It is used for a Mark VI helmet, but there are some key things that must be known for you to do this within the tutorial. LINK: http://405th.com/for...?showtopic=2021

now, after you have thuroughly read the tutorial and make shure u have all of the parts you need comes the hard part. this is gonna take some experimenting, as this is a theory i have been brooding over for several weeks, but it COULD work. its going to involve drilling, shaping some plastic pieces and some springs :)

Here is my idea, and like i said, i wouldnt do it without some experimenting. when you cut the visor, make it a bit bigger in all direction so that you don't have problems in the future. in the helmet, it should have a natural curve that follows the contours of you head but still be a bit bigger. this is wut a standard helm should look like on ur head (please excuse my horrible doodling, it was done in paint and i wasn't taking my time :) )

Helm-1.jpg

the black is the outer helmet, the gold is the visor, the green is the padding, and the red is, well the red is u, frankly :)

So my idea is, make a helmet like this, but add in a compartment for the visor, like so:

Helm-2.jpg

Next, before any padding and the likes are placed inside the helmet, make that compartment out of a plastic with slits in the side, so it looks something like this, but curved to the helmet and of course longer:

________

|______ |

______| |

|______|_|

now, more tricky stuff, connect the visor to a slide that will curve into the compartment. sounds like ur done, eh? too bad, not yet. now what you do is create another "compartment" for the ends of the slide to go into on each side of the helmet. the ends have to be disk-like. now u have to drill a hole into the helmet and place something that resembles a dial so you can flip the visor up and down. the dial must be attached to the disk so it can rotate when you turn the dial. that is the not so cool way. the cool way u will have to do some more work. when the slide attached to the visor slides up, you need to make another type of compartment on one side of the helmet that curves in the same way as the slide and place a semi-strong spring in it. now comes some more drilling. u drill a hole and make a small "button" to place on the side of the helmet. the button will press down on a "catch" that holds the visor slide in place, and essentially the spring. when the button is pressed, it pulls the catch back releasing the visor and lets the visor snap into place. to protect your face, i suggest placing two sheets of the clear visor with an open space for the gold visor to go. also, the catch should be made so that it does not move back in place until you turn the dial and lift the visor up. afterwards, add in the padding, LED's, w/e but make sure it doesn't get in the way of the slide. also, u will want to completely case in the slide once all the compartments are made so your hair doesn't get caught in it when it snaps into place.

now for some more example images.

The Catch:

The_Catch.jpg

for the catch, the black is the helmet, the red is the button, the sky blue are springs, the green is the "lever" that pull the catch out of the way and the yellow is where the slide would be.

The finished Product:

Helm-3.jpg

for the finished prodct, the orange would be the compartments, the dark green is the slide, the yellow is the mirrored visor, the sky blue is the clear visors, the bright green is padding, the darkish blue is the spring compartment, and the blueish-grey spot is the button catch.

NOTE: NOTHING IN THIS POST HAS BEEN TESTED AND DONE(by me, at least. i don't know if anyone has done anything this radical before)! THIS IS ALL THEORY THAT I WILL TEST WHEN I GET THE CHANCE. You can try if you want, but i suggest not wasting a helmet on this without some experimentation. try to make a model with the compartments attached to a frame and test how it works. you will need to do some molding with plastics and need to attach the compartments with hot glue. if there are any kinks, i am still working them out. like i said, it is theory that i would like to make reality :)

Thanks for reading,

-Tomb-Stone (the sig is comin soon :) )

With both of these things put together, you can make a very nice, sexilicious helmet. taking the possible infra-red modification in my first post, i could use spray-on adhesive to hold the sheets together and then attach them to the slide for the drop down visor. I'm sure that if you can fit in one visor, you can fit in a second one. so, thats a total of three visors. a clear one, a "sunglass" one in case u go outside and want some nice shades :) and then a really cool night-vision visor. I don't know if the night-vision thing will work, but i think it might. with the visors, the clear ones will be stationary and un-moving (because there will be two so your face doesn't get hit when the visor comes down) but you will need two release switches, one for the nightvision, and one for the reflective visor. for the night-vision i was thinking that what i want to do is put in LED's inside the helmet attached to a pressure pad so when the night-vision visor drops down it will make it easier to see out of the night-vision visor. tell me what you guys think and i'll update on this thread w/e i can :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Just so you know the first two links are both to the flashlight filter. It sounds like a cool idea. I agree that you mayhaps could fit more than one visor. But for some of us.. *cough me cough*..our helmets fit a lot tighter so there isnt much room. It would be depending on how much room you had to work with. You get this to work out though I'll definetely be looking into how to do it for my helmet. Let us know what you find out!

-Loki

Last edited by a moderator:
yea, deffinantly. i must have not mentioned it, i guess, but i thought i put in that i made the helmet a bit bigger than normal in order to fit in the visors. i plan on making the drop-down visor compartment with 2 different drop visors one for night-vision and one for jus a normal reflective visor. like i said, ill update u guys when i do more stuff :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back