Planning ODST Build - Questions about Templates

Discussion in 'New Recruits' started by einherjarvalk, Jan 4, 2019.

1. einherjarvalk

einherjarvalk New Member

Hi all,

Long time lurker, first time poster. I've had my eye on doing Halo cosplay for years but the cost and scale of the work necessary has put me off for a long time. My new year's project this year is to overcome that and eat this particular elephant one bite at a time, with the intent of eventually having a wearable ODST cosplay by this fall. While I'm not a stranger to making armor (I've done some small armor pieces and props with foam and Worbla for a few other cosplays that were much more fabric-intensive), this will be my first time using Pepakura templates of any sort. I've decided to start by making a weapon of some sort to get my bearings using pep templates before moving on to armor pieces and then, finally, the helmet.

Right now I've pulled the pep files from the Armory for Halo 3: ODST's armor and weaponry, but I'm having a bit of trouble making sense of it all. There's some files labeled "FOAM" as well as "A" or "B", but they often don't seem to have all the parts matching to the file; some of the parts are outside of the "print" format. Am I supposed to use both A and B templates for things like the M7S or just one or the other?

I've been poking around at Reach files as well in case I decide to go for the more detailed Reach ODST look, but there appears to be multiple cases of A/B files with missing parts for the major weapons (MA37, M392) as well, and I haven't found any ODST .zips for Reach either (I'm guessing the Reach set is a mish-mash of UNSC Marine/Army trooper and Spartan-III parts).

Any guidance that might be helpful? I realize it may be cheaper and more effective to just buy things like weapon props, but I want to start small and have the satisfaction of saying "yes I made these" when I go out in public with them if possible. Additionally, does anyone have experience using thermoplastics like Worbla to "coat" foam Halo armor? I've done it before for Fire Emblem pauldrons but I'm not sure if the finer details of Halo pieces may make it suboptimal.

2. xXDashIVXx

xXDashIVXx Active Member

It is definatly cheaper to make the armor and props than to buy it, and it feels really good to have it done and show it off. I dont quite understand by the mention of a and b parts, but when you have peices off of the printing zone of the pepakura, that is because the file your are using is foam and has been converted to foam from a paper peice. That peice may be not on the shape because you needed to connect two one dimensional peices of paper, when it's not needed because the two dimensional foam peice already makes the shape, if you understand what I'm trying to say. I have always wanted to try using worbla, and I have seen people cost things in it, but it just gets so expensive I have never ordered it. If you want to make something hard like that, I would just fibreglass a pepakura file.

3. einherjarvalk

einherjarvalk New Member

Apologies, I should have included some screenshots for reference. Here's what I'm looking at in a couple of different places.

wlUNthf.png
    Note how there are 4 different files for the M7S - an "A", a "B," and then a "B" for both foam and the optic. I'm not sure if I'm supposed to use all 4 together, just the "A" or "B" set, or just the "B" foam and sight files together assuming the majority of that part will be made of EVA foam. Looking at the "B" foam file, it's evident that some parts are not effectively rendered in the pep file, namely the suppressor and muzzle device for mounting it, despite both being present in the 3D model the pep file is derived from.

It's a bit different elsewhere:

Xn86Y2D.png

This set of Reach files has an MA37 followed by a 3-part foam MA37 file. While the foam MA37 files have notes that make it a bit clearer that they're supposed to go together as a set, the M392 having 1 normal pep file and then A/B foam pep files is confusing me.

As for Worbla, I'm lucky enough to have a local shop that sells it directly, so I've never had to deal with shipping costs for it, which were what made it really expensive upon initial discovery. While I've never worked with fiberglass/bondo/rondo to make a prop, I can't imagine it gets easier than pointing my heat gun at a Worbla sheet and just melting it onto the foam parts. That said, I'm assuming fiberglass over pep probably maintains hard angle sharpness better than Worbla (and is probably exponentially less likely to deform in the Texas heat), so I may look into that more when I get there.

4. xXDashIVXx

xXDashIVXx Active Member

Absolutely correct. I would assume the peices would go together, but I dont know as to I cant see the file/template itself... maybe someone else will see this thread soon, or if those files were used in a different thread you can find them there.