Planning On Next Stage After Pepping

Status
Not open for further replies.

xboy777

Okay, so I'm slightly new here. I say "slightly" because I haven't finished any piece of armor yet, but I have spent many days reading through the forums and learning as much as I can. When deciding on my first project, I decided to do a Master Chief Mark VI helmet and just the helmet. That failed because I pepped it with normal printer paper and scotch tape, which I found out later is a recipe for disaster in the next step.

Now I'm doing an ODST helmet with 100lb card stock paper and rubber cement (which is working nicely compared to my first attempt). I'm not finished pepping the ODST helmet, but I want to plan everything out instead of making it as I go so I'm looking towards the next stage: resining. The only thing I can't figure out right now is the difference between resin, fiberglass resin, and Bondo fiberglass resin. I'm guessing the fiberglass resin and Bondo fiberglass resin are just a combination of each one but I could be wrong.

I was at Walmart the other day to search for supplies and resin and the only thing I could find was Bondo Fiberglass Resin. The main questions I need to know right now are:

1. Is Bondo fiberglass resin a combination of all three?

2. And would this be okay to apply to my helmet once I finish pepping it?

I plan on making the rest of the ODST armor but I'm focusing on one thing at a time here.

Bondo is a company name. They are known for body fillers which is why many people call body filler "Bondo" but they also make fiberglass resin. So to answer the first question, Bondo Fiberglass Resin and any other fiberglass resin is the same stuff. And there is no body filler in bondo fiberglass resin. You can put fiberglass resin on your finished pepped helmet just do it in light coats and dont coat the whole helmet at once. Do it in sections so you dont over saturate it and warp it by accident.

resin is a short name for fiberglass resin and bondo is the brand name so youll need the fiberglass resin with some fiberglass mat/cloth, make sure the resin comes with a hardener in the cap to and you get a respirator then you can get bondo brand body filler and i like to use acid brushes there like 10 cents here and they dont dissolve under the resin as foam brushes do and you can rinse them with acetone or rubbing alcohol after use to reuse them so there a really good deal

Monicator said:
Bondo is a company name. They are known for body fillers which is why many people call body filler "Bondo" but they also make fiberglass resin. So to answer the first question, Bondo Fiberglass Resin and any other fiberglass resin is the same stuff. And there is no body filler in bondo fiberglass resin. You can put fiberglass resin on your finished pepped helmet just do it in light coats and don't coat the whole helmet at once. Do it in sections so you dont over saturate it and warp it by accident.

Thanks for the tips! I was just wondering because I've seen a lot of signatures with "armor statuses" in them and the steps usually go None > Pepped > Resined > Bondo > Painted > Finished. It confused me when I saw the can of Bondo Fiberglass Resin because I thought it would go cover the steps of Resined and Bondo with one sitting. I also read on the back of the Bondo can that I need to apply fiberglass strips. From reading most of the the tutorials, I'm guessing the fiberglass strips come after resining the helmet. I also read the the fiberglassing goes inside the helmet only.

Last edited by a moderator:
No problem, thats what the forums are for. It's good that your asking questions about things before you do them to make sure you dont do anything wrong. Usually people resin the helmet first to stiffen the paper so it can hold its shape for the fiberglassing process inside the helmet. Fiberglass mat and cloth cost almost the same, cloth is a little bit more usually but I've heard cloth is easier to apply inside the helmet. Do you have a WIP? I would love to see what you have.

good question, im making a Chaos Space Marine and had some of the same questions in mind

thnks for the replies on this thread i understand better nao !

BrianShray said:
good question, im making a Chaos Space Marine and had some of the same questions in mind

thnks for the replies on this thread i understand better nao !

No problem. I guess you could use this thread for beginner info because I know I will be asking more questions as I make my helmet and eventually the whole ODST suit. I really hope I can get it done before Halloween.

Monicator said:
No problem, thats what the forums are for. It's good that your asking questions about things before you do them to make sure you dont do anything wrong. Usually people resin the helmet first to stiffen the paper so it can hold its shape for the fiberglassing process inside the helmet. Fiberglass mat and cloth cost almost the same, cloth is a little bit more usually but I've heard cloth is easier to apply inside the helmet. Do you have a WIP? I would love to see what you have.

Thanks for that little tip. Fiberglass mat sounds like a little more of what I want. Will it actually be like a padding? Because I haven't planned on where I'm going to find the padding and put it in the helmet.

I actually don't know what a WIP is. I've seen many threads with "WIP" in it and they usually consist of photos and progress of the project.

I would also like to know where I would find one of those "progress" pics that go in your signature to show how far your suit has come in the making. Thanks again for helping me get started.

xboy777 said:
Thanks for that little tip. Fiberglass mat sounds like a little more of what I want. Will it actually be like a padding? Because I haven't planned on where I'm going to find the padding and put it in the helmet.

I actually don't know what a WIP is. I've seen many threads with "WIP" in it and they usually consist of photos and progress of the project.

I would also like to know where I would find one of those "progress" pics that go in your signature to show how far your suit has come in the making. Thanks again for helping me get started.

No, fiberglass is NOT like a padding. It can be sharp and pointy to where you will need to cut it down and put something over top of it like fabric so that you don't get poked in the head.

WIP = Work In Progress

As for the armor progress image, I don't know the link myself, but there are others that know it and hopefully someone comes by and gives ya the link. I prefer to make my own in photoshop and update it as I go, but I'm too lazy so I don't bother with that. :p

HaloGoddess said:
No, fiberglass is NOT like a padding. It can be sharp and pointy to where you will need to cut it down and put something over top of it like fabric so that you don't get poked in the head.

WIP = Work In Progress

As for the armor progress image, I don't know the link myself, but there are others that know it and hopefully someone comes by and gives ya the link. I prefer to make my own in photoshop and update it as I go, but I'm too lazy so I don't bother with that. :p

I'm glad you told me before I tried doing something stupid. And thanks for telling me what a WIP was lol. I feel as if I should have guessed that one but oh well. I might post my progress on this thread. Since I'm new to the forums and don't know a lot of the rules, I don't know if it would be ok to turn this thread into a WIP (extreme noob moment).

Okay so I haven't been actively pepping for a while. I've decided that I wont continue my progress until I can get an exacto-knife for the smaller lines of my ODST pep. I think I can find one at a Hobby Lobby nearby and once I do I'll continue. I plan on starting a WIP thread soon but right now it's late so I do it either tomorrow or some other time this week when I can find the time.

I also wanted to know: When pepping your armor, do you ever get so board where you put off pepping for a while until you feel like doing it again?

I'm in the same situation as you. I just learned of the 405th and I'm doing research and learning how to properly make the suit. I'm still looking for actual people to talk to and swap questions with and actually talk about our progress.

as of right now I have the pepakura program downloaded and I'm going to be getting all of the supplies I need and start my first attempt. I'm hoping it all goes smoothly and I'm actually going to take my time on this unlike alot of my other projects.

You seem to have done a couple of double posts, If you forget to add something you can edit your first post to add more. See it works. Also yea I get board while peping sometimes and put it off, but hopefully durring summer vacation I can get my Marine armor done.

xboy777 said:
Okay so I haven't been actively pepping for a while. I've decided that I wont continue my progress until I can get an exacto-knife for the smaller lines of my ODST pep. I think I can find one at a Hobby Lobby nearby and once I do I'll continue. I plan on starting a WIP thread soon but right now it's late so I do it either tomorrow or some other time this week when I can find the time.

I also wanted to know: When pepping your armor, do you ever get so board where you put off pepping for a while until you feel like doing it again?

Yeah, it can be tedious. :) I haven't been moving as fast as I should have on mine for that reason. But once you get a piece finished in the pep phase, you feel pretty good about yourself!

xboy777 said:

Pepping is tedious but I dont get bored with it, I cant. Have to stay committed its only the first phase of the armor, cant get bored now! :lol What I do is have a tv in the background play a few movies, or an Ipod helps too. Then I just go all the way through the process in some meditated/zombie state. Its the fastest way to get it over with for me.

jake11124 said:
You seem to have done a couple of double posts, If you forget to add something you can edit your first post to add more. See it works. Also yea I get board while peping sometimes and put it off, but hopefully durring summer vacation I can get my Marine armor done.

Thanks for letting me know. Good luck with your marine costume by the way.

Monicator said:
Pepping is tedious but I dont get bored with it, I cant. Have to stay committed its only the first phase of the armor, cant get bored now! :lol What I do is have a tv in the background play a few movies, or an Ipod helps too. Then I just go all the way through the process in some meditated/zombie state. Its the fastest way to get it over with for me.

Nice advice! I have a PSP with a lot of music on it and I plan on using that whenever I pep now.

spartan45 said:
I'm in the same situation as you. I just learned of the 405th and I'm doing research and learning how to properly make the suit. I'm still looking for actual people to talk to and swap questions with and actually talk about our progress.

as of right now I have the pepakura program downloaded and I'm going to be getting all of the supplies I need and start my first attempt. I'm hoping it all goes smoothly and I'm actually going to take my time on this unlike alot of my other projects.

Welcome to the forums then. Before starting my helmet, I looked up many things like scaling and proper pepakura cutting and folding. I also looked up how to use the Pepakura designer properly before doing any serious printing. Learning from my experience, it helps to know a lot about everything you're doing when making your armor. I'm ready to start, I just need the supplies lol. Good luck on your future armor making.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back