Pooper's Odst Helmet

Status
Not open for further replies.

pooper

Hey guys and gals! Just wanted to show you all what I've been working on the past couple of months... seeing how a lot of folks here are building ODST armor, I thought I'd give it a try. Besides, I have to have one ready in time for dragon con! Looking at the works of link and rube has really motivated me to do this project...

Let's start with the pep build...

DCFC0016.jpg

DCFC0024.jpg

Next is the helmet reinforced using the Hot Glue Method...

DCFC0026.jpg

Okay! Now what you're looking at is half pep, half scratch build. The gray area on top of the helmet is something I used called Quick Steel. It's a type of bondo putty that you use to fix minor repairs on cars, boats, etc. During this stage, it was mostly bondo, sand, bondo, sand, bondo, sand, arm falls off, bondo sand. And it still needs sanding. I also used cardboard, plaster, hot glue and Modge Podge glue.

DCFC0047.jpg

DCFC0059.jpg

Here it is primed...

DCFC0063.jpg

DCFC0066.jpg

DCFC0072.jpg

Well, there you have it. I still have to do a little more sanding. Also, what color paint should I use? Flat black or gloss black? Sorry for the crappy photos... I didn't have my work camera with me when I took these. Leave comments, and I'll keep you all posted on updates.

Good looking bucket ya got there o_O
cant wait to see it finished, really good work

Go flat black, I don't think you'd put reflective armor on a specops guy that's going for stealth.

Other than the MOAR SANDING part, it looks awesome :D keep it up!

Thanks everyone! And yes, I need to do more sanding... I'm going to try to see what other things I can do to it.

looking good

i am going to start an odst helmet once i get my printer. then rents wont yell at me for printing so much :p

RadioactiV777 said:
How did you do the panel lines on the top of the helmet?
I carved them in with a xacto knife. I messed up on some areas because I carved them in after the bondo got hard. Then in some areas, I carved them in before it hardened, which worked out great.

Last edited by a moderator:
Freakin' awesome Pooper, if this turns out anywhere near as good as your Mark IV it's gonna be amazing!
How are you thinking of making the visor? Its a bummer for ODST ^^
Nice stuff, I'll be watchin this one! =]

xxFemaleSpartanxx said:
Freakin' awesome Pooper, if this turns out anywhere near as good as your Mark IV it's gonna be amazing!
How are you thinking of making the visor? Its a bummer for ODST ^^
Nice stuff, I'll be watchin this one! =]
Hey, thanks FS! :D Yeah, I really hope that it turns out like my MVl... it all lies on the paint job (which in reality, is a BIG reason why my MVl looks good. A good paint job can hide a lot of mistakes. I'm not tellin what they are! :p ). But yeah, it should look good! As for the visor, I have no idea on what to do. But I will figure it out!

Xtreme TACTICS 101 said:
Nice work so far.

Hows the hot glue method working so far? Is it better than resin? Does it warp easly?

CHEERS!
I really like this method. It works really well if you do it correctly, but it can never replace the strength of resin. Apply light coats first to avoid warping, then thick coats. I've detailed the pros and cons of the hot glue method in my Mark Vl thread.

If you haven't already you should paint it metallic black, it would be closest to the in game color, unless you are going for real worldism.

Congrats pooper, yuh beat me at making the odst helmet mine is no where near finished cause im having one pain in the pooper sanding it.

AussieTrooper said:
Looking forward to the rest of this build mate. Your stuff is quality.

Thanks Aussie! I'll be taking my time with this one and make it the best I can.

Spawn Camp3r said:
If you haven't already you should paint it metallic black, it would be closest to the in game color, unless you are going for real worldism.

All I have on it right now is primer. Metallic black you say? Hmm... I'll give it a try! I'm going to experiment with different blacks to see which one works best. I'm also curious as to which color black link or rube is going to use. I remember seeing link use gloss black on his thread... I could be wrong.

iizahsum said:
Congrats pooper, yuh beat me at making the odst helmet mine is no where near finished cause im having one pain in the pooper sanding it.

HA! I couldn't let you leave me in the dust. :p As for sanding, yes, it is a pain in the gester. But keep it up! I'd love to see your finished helmet!

link4044 said:
YAY!! i motivated someone.......keep it up
i should have mine done then also

Hey, your work is truly inspiring. :D I kept thinking, "how the hell am I going to do this?" All I had to do is look at your thread and it all came together! Can't wait to see your's done link!

glad i could help some how. i have to put the suit on hold till the halo wedding is done i was hoping to get it done, but i have to to redo my MC armor

link4044 said:
glad i could help some how. i have to put the suit on hold till the halo wedding is done i was hoping to get it done, but i have to to redo my MC armor
I hear ya... hopefully you'll get back on it soon. I saw that you used semi gloss black on your helmet. Do you recommend it?

Also to everyone, because of the holidays and all, it maybe a few days before I can update or post anything new. But I'm working on it everyday, even if it's a few minutes. I'll keep you all posted!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back