Pooper's Odst Helmet

Status
Not open for further replies.
It looks incredible. If mine keeps looking the way it is, I might just have to steal yours. :p

Very nice though. I love your work.

I know this thread is getting a bit aged by now, but I saw the test visor, and it looks great, even if it isn't like the true ODST visor. I know you described how you made it. How thick is the plastic you used, and how did you fold it without snapping the plastic? I'm in the process of making up my first ODST helmet and would like to use this method for the visor until I can figure out a way to make it more like the true ODST visor.

@ carpathiavh: The test visor I used is just a sheet of transparency film, about as thick as a sheet of paper. The actual plastic I'm going to use comes from a toy box. It's thick to act as a visor, but thin enought to bend without breaking. If you have a really thick piece of plastic, you can use a heat gun to help you bend it. Hope this helps some.

@ sarge079: I plan on making the correct folds, and the securing it in with hot glue. Because I'm cutting the plastic from the pep file design, it should fit pretty good. Just trying to find how to dye it.

update: I've finished painting the helmet, and I'll try to have pics posted sometime this week.

I had just resently joined the great 405th. your helmet looks awsome, but where can i find the stuff you used for your test lense???

( im on my way to completing the entire ODST body, got the torso and chest done)

EvilDorito said:
I had just resently joined the great 405th. your helmet looks awsome, but where can i find the stuff you used for your test lense???

( im on my way to completing the entire ODST body, got the torso and chest done)
What I used for the test visor is transparency film sheets, which you can find in any office supply store. I'm going to use regular plastic for the actual visor, I just can't find anything to dye it! any suggestions folks?

and I know I said I'll post pics soon of the new paint job, but I've been thinking about posting a video similar to Ithica's or Adam's. And I've been busy with a new Mark VI helmet... sooooo, maybe I should just post pics soon. I'll keep you all posted.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a bit of a theory for tinting the visor. I was wondering if you had considered, or anyone else reading this, using tinting film used for car windows. It's the type that you use a heat gun to form around an existing piece. I saw a YouTube video tutorial of a guy using this film to put over a car brake light. It made the car brake light look black, but the light still shown through, which makes me believe that if it were applied to a helmet visor, you could still see out of the mask while no one would be able to see in.

Edit: Here is the link to the video on YouTube

The ODST suit being my favorite as well as my planned project, you have really inspired me with your work! I know this thread is getting older btw however I couldn't not compliment you on your work. Very well done and a great resource as well. Learned quite a bit from you as I read this thread.

Phil

Hey Phil! Glad I could help in some way... :)

Well folks, I've decided to just scrap this helmet and start over. I've learned alot more since I built this one. I'm probably just going to add a visor and give it to my brother.

I'll post one last pic of it soon... but I will be giving rundown's ODST model a try! Don't know when I'm going to get to it though. I've got so many projects I want to do. Wish I can be like Ithica and get 50 things done in three days. :D

Thanks for all the comments everyone. I really appreciate them.

I heard that....lol. I only get 49 done and I'm getting old so next year it will be 48 in 3 days...lmao. Ok post the pic already. Don't forget you didn't only learn alot but you taught alot.

Ithica

Ithica said:
I heard that....lol. I only get 49 done and I'm getting old so next year it will be 48 in 3 days...lmao. Ok post the pic already. Don't forget you didn't only learn alot but you taught alot.

Ithica

lol ha! i know what you mean. :D I'll have a pic soon.

thanks dave. hearing that last sentence means a lot.

Im sorry to hear that you are starting over, however, a fresh start is sometimes the only way to continue. And hey, anything you do can only be even better than the last so I can't wait to see the newest creation roll out!
( random dancing kitty approved )

Phil

Okay, as I mentioned before in a previous post I was going to post the last pictures of my current ODST helmet. I'm going to give this to my brother... and work on a brand new one.

This helmet is okay, but I've learned so much more and know that I can do a better job. Well, here it is. Had to take the pics with my phone.

odst5.jpg

odst1.jpg

odst2.jpg

odst3.jpg

odst4.jpg

And that's the end of this helmet.

I'm going to make a new one using rundown's model. Seeing how I now have a better knowledge of how to bondo and dremel, my new ODST helmet will be as detailed as my new MVl helmet. Don't know when I'm going to get to this, seeing as I want to finish my new MVl suit first. But I will come back to this project...

link4044 said:
are you doing ODST this year at dragoncon?

I was, but now I going to go as a Spartan. While the first ODST helmet I made is okay, I'm just not to thrilled with the end result.

Hmmm... come to think of it, if I hurry, I may be able to finish an ODST suit in time for dragon con. I don't know... it's only a few months away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back