Practicality and Wearability

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zera Knight

405th, I am NEW to doing anything this large, but I'm starting the process of gathering materials and supplies to start my first Full build, but am looking for some information, How do you cope with the heat of the helmets? I ride with a full face MTN bike helmet in Texas and it can over heat just sitting around with it on, and it is designed to allow air flow, but I don't see that allotment for air flow in any helmet designs, Has anyone experimented with adding say a Micro CPU fan and creating a forced air flow system? Also I see a lot of builds that just add padding into the shell, has anyone had luck using EPS to contour better to the head? or is that just creating more air flow issues?

With these helmets you almost need small cpu fans. I made a 300 spartan helm and its open mostly and it still gets warm. A lot of the helmets have air ports or something similar already built into design of the helmet. Using mesh screen or other materials you can open these vents and hide the fans behind those.

With these helmets you almost need small cpu fans. I made a 300 spartan helm and its open mostly and it still gets warm. A lot of the helmets have air ports or something similar already built into design of the helmet. Using mesh screen or other materials you can open these vents and hide the fans behind those.
Thanks UnderDog, Do you know of where I can see a project that incorporated something like the mesh?

I can't seem to find the thread I saw it in. The easiest example would be the vents on the side of an ODST helmet. Cut them out and put mesh on the inside.

Zero 071 uses one (maybe two?) little fans in his helmet, maybe he can show you a couple pics. As far as padding I would say adding contour foam is just adding unnecessary weight and creating a lack of airflow. Full face mountain bike helmets are really hot because they are pressed onto your head all around and have an inch or so of foam acting as insulation. If you keep your helmet more sparse then airflow will improve and it won't be quite as hot.

Last edited by a moderator:
More like a regular bike helmet where it has the thin padding really only where is necessary. But you still need to it to fit correctly and be comfortable for long periods of wear.

Most of your pepped helmets in the data base when you look at them do not show any kind of porting for venting. It is more of a case of you figuring out where you can incorporate and hide said venting as you build your helmet. I currently have an odst helmet as pictured in my Avatar. Just aft of the visor is two small windows more or less. In the case of my helmet I have cut them out and put black window screen over these spots to help vent my helmet. Also in the case of my helmet I have a considerable chunk of open space above my visor that I am looking to put a pair of small computer fans in to increase air movement. I also have drilled small holes in the recesses around the visor as well.

Even still everything is hot. We recently did Sci Fi Valley con here in PA in may. The weather was warm and the convention center was air conditioned but I got cooked badly. And I know that several other of the 405th who were present were running mighty warm. For all intent and purpose you are wrapping yourself in insulation when you put a foam build costume on. Even a pure build PEP resin build Like spartan 45 was wearing is heavy and hot.

ive worn my printed MC and donut helmets in 90* heat for a day at an arts fest this year . a little foggy but very useable and on the whole not too hot! . My normal STIG helmet was way worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back