Status
Not open for further replies.

RagtagVenom

Thanks to the awesome PerniciousDuke; I’ve got the Foam Files for the Hellcat Armor in my grasp, I’m gonna get cracking on the build but I need aaaaaany last minute tips, tricks and advice to get the job done the right way the first time around.
Against my better judgement I’m gonna be using Walmart brand Floor Mats, I never got a for sure on better foam to use so tips there would be great!
Tips for clean cutting and preventing feathery tearing would be great, as well as keeping my blades sharp.
And if there’s a trick to beveling; that’s what I REALLY need to know!

Thanks to the awesome PerniciousDuke; I’ve got the Foam Files for the Hellcat Armor in my grasp, I’m gonna get cracking on the build but I need aaaaaany last minute tips, tricks and advice to get the job done the right way the first time around.
Against my better judgement I’m gonna be using Walmart brand Floor Mats, I never got a for sure on better foam to use so tips there would be great!
Tips for clean cutting and preventing feathery tearing would be great, as well as keeping my blades sharp.
I like to use lowes floor mats, just because the walmart ones have the giant bumps on the back. also, the normal stuff have a flat cutting surface, if you want best cuts you can sharpen your blade between each cut or peice. also if you do any pep especially but foam also, Take Your Time it helps a lot.

TAKE YOUR TIME pretty much sums it up. Be patient and made it look epic. Evil Ted on YouTube has a lot of good tutorials. If you focus on making the little things as perfect as possible, the big things tend to take care of themselves.

There's nothing wrong with Walmart foam good sir. Sure it has a textured side, but the price is right and based on the way most Pep files work you'll never have any visible texture on the external facing (and who cares what it looks like when it's pressed up against your body).

Tips for clean cutting depend on your tools honestly, what I use is 10mm snap off blades mostly, a metal straight edge and a kitchen knife block sharpener so I may be more/less chintzy when it comes to equipment, I'm not sure. Sharpen your blade every 4-5 cuts and make sure you're sharpening at a consistent angle so that you're not honing the edge into wobbly forms that'll snag on the foam. If you notice that you can't get an edge to stay on your blade longer than 2-3 cuts, attempt a more severe sharpening angle or just chuck the blade and start fresh. If you're using cheap snap off blades, buy a pack of 10 replacements for like $2 and that'll last you the whole costume if you're sharpening your blades well, for my Reach Spartan I did two blade swaps.

When working with foam, it's all about the bevels and undercuts. If there's a hashed line on the pep file make sure you add the valley cutout on the reverse side of the foam to at least half the foam depth, three quarters is preferable. Use the 3D representation of the file on Pepakura Designer/Armoursmith to your advantage and figure out how pieces meet and plan your edge bevels to make the largest possible mating surface with the least amount of backfill required. If you don't have access to a computer that can handle those programs then worst case is to piece your patterns together with painters tape, measure the angle between pieces and use that divided by two to bevel the edges. It makes for so much cleaner of a build than just winging it and jamming pieces together.

Source: Just finished my Reach Spartan assembly and had noticeable improvement between first built piece and last built piece using and perfecting this method.

There's nothing wrong with Walmart foam good sir. Sure it has a textured side, but the price is right and based on the way most Pep files work you'll never have any visible texture on the external facing (and who cares what it looks like when it's pressed up against your body).

Tips for clean cutting depend on your tools honestly, what I use is 10mm snap off blades mostly, a metal straight edge and a kitchen knife block sharpener so I may be more/less chintzy when it comes to equipment, I'm not sure. Sharpen your blade every 4-5 cuts and make sure you're sharpening at a consistent angle so that you're not honing the edge into wobbly forms that'll snag on the foam. If you notice that you can't get an edge to stay on your blade longer than 2-3 cuts, attempt a more severe sharpening angle or just chuck the blade and start fresh. If you're using cheap snap off blades, buy a pack of 10 replacements for like $2 and that'll last you the whole costume if you're sharpening your blades well, for my Reach Spartan I did two blade swaps.

When working with foam, it's all about the bevels and undercuts. If there's a hashed line on the pep file make sure you add the valley cutout on the reverse side of the foam to at least half the foam depth, three quarters is preferable. Use the 3D representation of the file on Pepakura Designer/Armoursmith to your advantage and figure out how pieces meet and plan your edge bevels to make the largest possible mating surface with the least amount of backfill required. If you don't have access to a computer that can handle those programs then worst case is to piece your patterns together with painters tape, measure the angle between pieces and use that divided by two to bevel the edges. It makes for so much cleaner of a build than just winging it and jamming pieces together.

Source: Just finished my Reach Spartan assembly and had noticeable improvement between first built piece and last built piece using and perfecting this method.
Your words are so wise oh great and powerful TurboCharizard!
The techniques you speak of are much more helpful than my "oh... poop.... I have to add a bevel. Time to randomly cut off foam until it fits." method.
Seriously though. I always have a hard time on how much material needs to be cut off when doing a bevel. I've had to sacrifice some parts and re make them when I am off and the part mutates in form.

I like to use lowes floor mats, just because the walmart ones have the giant bumps on the back. also, the normal stuff have a flat cutting surface, if you want best cuts you can sharpen your blade between each cut or peice. also if you do any pep especially but foam also, Take Your Time it helps a lot.
I’ve been told Lowe’s! But I can’t seem to track them down and none of the employees know either; I guess I’ll try tracking down the item number and stopping in again

So I’ve had mixed reception with Walmart and Harbor Freight foam; sometimes the foam is easy to work with, other times it tatters easily. So I was hoping to find one that would be more reliable. And I’m talking about the smooth side, not the textured side; the majority of my current suit as the textured side facing inward, that’s not an issue.

Okay, I’m gonna have to Star this so I can keep track of it and do some practice runs; but hopefully I can get the hang of bevelling!

The techniques you speak of are much more helpful than my "oh... poop.... I have to add a bevel. Time to randomly cut off foam until it fits." method.
Seriously though. I always have a hard time on how much material needs to be cut off when doing a bevel. I've had to sacrifice some parts and re make them when I am off and the part mutates in form.
Yeah, winging it is where I’m at right now too! Haha

So I’ve had mixed reception with Walmart and Harbor Freight foam; sometimes the foam is easy to work with, other times it tatters easily. So I was hoping to find one that would be more reliable. And I’m talking about the smooth side, not the textured side; the majority of my current suit as the textured side facing inward, that’s not an issue.

Okay, I’m gonna have to Star this so I can keep track of it and do some practice runs; but hopefully I can get the hang of bevelling!

If you have access to a scrollsaw or a bandsaw with an adjustable blade angle, monopolize your time with that bad boy. If not, cruise your local CL, Kijiji, UsedWherever for a cheap one. I picked up a 9" bandsaw for $100 and it's worth it's weight in gold when cutting consistent, clean edge bevels. Edges matching up wasn't an issue and I only had minimal blending and gap filling to do, on the scale of six hours with the Dremel and the mblackwell1002 magic goo. Spend a bit if you can manage it to save yourself time and headaches later on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back