Prevent Resin and Fiberglass from sticking to your hands / skin with invisible gloves

Status
Not open for further replies.

cptnAWESOME

When I first started working with resin, I always got it on me somehow. I hated using latex gloves. As soon as resin touched them the fiberglass mat would stick all over my hands. This made it impossible to work.

My solution was to not use gloves on certain projects. But isn't it worse having resin stuck directly to your hands? Yes it is, unless you use some sort of invisible glove.

I found that dish soap made a good glove. I would take a small amount of it and rub it on my hands like a lotion. You work it into your skin, being sure that you have coated your whole hand and forearms, or any part you want protected. Then glass away!

Once you are done with the resin you simply wash your hands. The soap glove lifts the resin away.

What do you think?

When I first started working with resin, I always got it on me somehow. I hated using latex gloves. As soon as resin touched them the fiberglass mat would stick all over my hands. This made it impossible to work.

My solution was to not use gloves on certain projects. But isn't it worse having resin stuck directly to your hands? Yes it is, unless you use some sort of invisible glove.

I found that dish soap made a good glove. I would take a small amount of it and rub it on my hands like a lotion. You work it into your skin, being sure that you have coated your whole hand and forearms, or any part you want protected. Then glass away!

Once you are done with the resin you simply wash your hands. The soap glove lifts the resin away.

What do you think?

oh my, that sounds perfect! i'm a butcher, so im used to always wearing latex gloves, but in the houston, tx heat, latex gloves outside just equals one thing: pools of sweat in the finger tips. i shall attempt this in a few hours when i do some glass work!

oh my, that sounds perfect! i'm a butcher, so im used to always wearing latex gloves, but in the houston, tx heat, latex gloves outside just equals one thing: pools of sweat in the finger tips. i shall attempt this in a few hours when i do some glass work!

I can't wait to hear how it works out for you.

I can't wait to hear how it works out for you.

hazzah! we have success! i was doing some of the parts of my helmet where you have to get both of your hands all the way in, and i got resin all over my wrists. finished up, washed off, and left my hands nice and soft ;) thank you sir! this is sure to make life easier. but i guess it also depends on what kinda soap you have as well??

No offense, but from a safety standpoint, this is a really bad idea. Latex gloves are insufficient to begin with, because they are permeated after no more a few minutes, and going without any gloves at all is even worse.

Hyokenseisou uses mould release spray on her gloves to prevent stuff from sticking to them, you could try that. Make sure it doesn't eat your gloves though.

And for sweaty hands inside gloves, you can try using cotton undergloves. They won't stop the sweating, but they'll soak the sweat up and keep your hands somewhat dry. This is also beneficial in terms of safety, because wet skin is more easily harmed or permeated by chemicals.

No offense, but from a safety standpoint, this is a really bad idea. Latex gloves are insufficient to begin with, because they are permeated after no more a few minutes, and going without any gloves at all is even worse.

Hyokenseisou uses mould release spray on her gloves to prevent stuff from sticking to them, you could try that. Make sure it doesn't eat your gloves though.

And for sweaty hands inside gloves, you can try using cotton undergloves. They won't stop the sweating, but they'll soak the sweat up and keep your hands somewhat dry. This is also beneficial in terms of safety, because wet skin is more easily harmed or permeated by chemicals.

good points. good thing i picked up some nitrile gloves :p

I would be careful, I don't think that absorbing resin into your skin is to healthy, but it sounds like a cool idea

The way i do it at work and at home is i take a pair of rubber gloves slip them on then put on a pair of cheap tight finger work gloves. This keeps my skin from sticking to the fiber glass and resin but i do still get it on the gloves a lot. The solution to this is i soak the gloves in acetone hang them to dry the toss them into the washer by themselves with no other cloths after they have dried. And it has worked well for me so far. Hope it helps. d ^v^.

Thanks for all the input! I agree that resin in the blood stream is not ideal. I will have to try the mold release on the nitrile gloves.

I believe baby powder will work as a cheap alternative to a releasing spray, much like a baker uses flour to keep the dough off thier fingers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back