Progress On My New Set Of Armor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok well I just glassed my helm and hand pieces and im starting the bondo work on the helm. So far on the helm everything is 100% smooth. Might do some more tonight might not. Depends on how bored I get.

100_0658.jpg

100_0667.jpg

Either white, or use a grey primer. With a lot of the prop work I've done in the past, I find the grey works a lot better for really bringing out any imperfections that need to be fixed.

Liking what you've done so far with the new helmet, buddy. That's startint to look "as smooth as an android's bottom" (please don't tell me I'm the only one who knows what that line's from, lol).

Okay... so maybe that was a little too much on the geeky/nerdy side. Sue me :p

Btw, the brim details on your new helmet... are those recessed? o_O

SPARTAN II said:
Either white, or use a grey primer. With a lot of the prop work I've done in the past, I find the grey works a lot better for really bringing out any imperfections that need to be fixed.

Liking what you've done so far with the new helmet, buddy. That's startint to look "as smooth as an android's bottom" (please don't tell me I'm the only one who knows what that line's from, lol).

Okay... so maybe that was a little too much on the geeky/nerdy side. Sue me :p

Btw, the brim details on your new helmet... are those recessed? o_O

Yea when im done bondoing it im going to paint it primer to look for imperfections. And yes I recessed the details on the brim. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
TwitchFMX8811 said:
Yea when im done bondoing it im going to paint it primer to look for imperfections. And yes I recessed the details on the brim. ;)

I thought so, but couldn't see that too clearly in the pic. I did the same with mine. Nice job on those details, btw ;)

SPARTAN II said:
I thought so, but couldn't see that too clearly in the pic. I did the same with mine. Nice job on those details, btw ;)

This might give you a better view.

100_0621.jpg

SPARTAN II said:
Wow... very precise details you have, there. Did you use a template or something?
Beige primer works best for bringing out the deflects...

-Fin(n)ish

SPARTAN II said:
Wow... very precise details you have, there. Did you use a template or something?

well the details themselves came from FS final model. Then what I did to get the recessed was after I got the helmet built I printed the underside of the visor on regular paper. Then I cut just the outside edge and glued that to the cardboard I was using (to make it thicker/stronger) Then glued that around the details. It made the underside of the brim not so flimsy (as you can see in my "just finished" pics) and made it easier to line up the details.

Kewl. That's not too unlike what I did.

For my Mk VI helmet, though, I just printed out an extra brim and drew out a template by hand. Since I'm working with the low-detail HALO 2 Pep model.

Then, I applied it to the sheet styrene I put on underneath the brim (before I actually put it in place, obviously), cut out the general outline and then used the portion that had been cut out and divided it up into the various smaller panels.

In reverse of what you did, I first glued down the recessed brim outline and then added the smaller panels. The underside of the brim on my helmet is still pretty sturdy, imho.

I find it interesting how people often use the same sort of technique(s) for detailing thier armour, lol. Looks damn good, buddy...

SPARTAN II said:
In reverse of what you did, I first glued down the recessed brim outline and then added the smaller panels. The underside of the brim on my helmet is still pretty sturdy.

That is exactly what I did. I just got the order mixed up. I was at school so I had alot going through my mind and couldnt think straight. But im home now so I think ill go work on it some more. :p

SPARTAN II said:
Oh, kewl! Great minds think alike, huh? :D

I guess so. :p Thanks for all the complements. Its people like this that makes me want to do the very best I can.

TwitchFMX8811 said:
I guess so. :p Thanks for all the complements. Its people like this that makes me want to do the very best I can.
Well in that case, excellent work! I know I don't comment much, but you're going about things veeeeery similarly to how I'm planning my build. Great job on the raised brim detail. I wanna see more progress!

TwitchFMX8811 said:
Ok well I just glassed my helm and hand pieces and im starting the bondo work on the helm. So far on the helm everything is 100% smooth. Might do some more tonight might not. Depends on how bored I get.

100_0658.jpg

100_0667.jpg

i have this long question to ask you guys its been awhile but im back at it again. so how do you get your fiberglass so smooth?? my always turn out looking like KAKA!! lol any way about that, you guy know im a NOOB! sad face..

In the automotive paint industry, to check for that perfectly smooth surface after sanding your primer, you spray on a super fine mist of flat black over it. I mean like you could wipe it off with a rag almost.
Then very lightly, go over with a fine sand paper like 1000 grit, and any high spots will go right back to gray and low spots will stay dark.

Remember that the darker the color, the more any imperfections will show. That's why black paint jobs take the most prep. Its almost as bad as chrome!

I'm practicing my spraying and today I resprayed a corner filler from my Cutlass and I'm pretty amazed with the result myself. What do you think?
[attachment=4028:bluepaint1.jpg]
Like GLASS BIATCH!^_^
[attachment=4029:bluepaint2.jpg]
I don't even need to buff anymore!

Jordan Roajs said:
i have this long question to ask you guys its been awhile but im back at it again. so how do you get your fiberglass so smooth?? my always turn out looking like KAKA!! lol any way about that, you guy know im a NOOB! sad face..

Well this is kind of my own experiment that I tried out. I used medical tape and resined over it. It works really well you just need more than one layer.

And as for imperfections. Upon closer inspection I got it about 90% smooth. There are still some small pits but I think im going to leave them and when I do some battle damage I think it will add to the effect if I put the silver where the pits are.

TwitchFMX8811 said:
Well this is kind of my own experiment that I tried out. I used medical tape and resined over it. It works really well you just need more than one layer.

And as for imperfections. Upon closer inspection I got it about 90% smooth. There are still some small pits but I think im going to leave them and when I do some battle damage I think it will add to the effect if I put the silver where the pits are.

Oh yeah, that reminds me.
If you guys don't want to mess with glass cloth, look up "Self - Adhesive Fiberglass Mesh Tape" on google. You can buy it at any hardware store in the drywall section. its much cleaner to work with and you can layer it several times before you apply resin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back